PDA

View Full Version : Which filter? Sparks/Uni?

Sjorge450R
10-31-2006, 03:58 AM
Which one should I get. I can get a uni for under $30 and then there is the sparks kit for $45. What is the difference? What does the little piece that comes with the sparks filter do?

Chino886
10-31-2006, 04:45 AM
I have both, I use the Sparks more often though.

I think you need the billet ring for the UNI also.

10-31-2006, 07:57 AM
I have both also. I have had 2 Sparks filters come a part.

The UNI has a taperd cage on the inside. That makes it want to pop off when you torque down the clamp. I have found that the UNI filter fits perfectly into the Sparks billet ring. The cage seats in there nice for a solid mount.

I like the UNI.

MR.BIG
10-31-2006, 08:19 AM
I run the sparks set-up in mine and have had no problems with the filters.

adinocr7
10-31-2006, 08:27 AM
I've got 3 UNI Filters that I rotate. Love em', no complaints.

cletusEX
10-31-2006, 09:15 AM
My brother and I have 4 UNIs that we have been using for 2 years and haven't had one problem. I clean them after each race and the airboot is always clean.

400exrider707
10-31-2006, 09:31 AM
The UNI is a good filter, as is the sparks, I've used quite a few UNIS between my 400 and my 450 now and haven't had one problem with them. Also the screen on the inside of the UNI shouldn't be tapered!? I had no problems getting mine to seat with the cage that was supplied. We did go ahead and make our own billet rings now though just to eliminate the cage. No real reason to do so, just thought it would be fun.;)

DJJ450r
10-31-2006, 10:05 AM
If your running XC I would just keep the stock one, I used to run a UNI then I switched back to stock, theres no power gain that I can tell from running a UNI and the stock one doesn't let anything through:macho

woodsman250r
10-31-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by DJJ450r
If your running XC I would just keep the stock one, I used to run a UNI then I switched back to stock, theres no power gain that I can tell from running a UNI and the stock one doesn't let anything through:macho

I agree with you 100%. There is no need to ditch the stock filter if you are running XC. Go to a dealership and pick up another stock one to rotate because they are like $14. The number one job of an airfilter is to do just that, filter what goes into your bike. The stock one won't let junk into the motor that will lead to a costly rebuild. On the same side of things, you won't notice any power difference by adding a uni or sparks. Just my .02.

cals400ex
10-31-2006, 01:34 PM
the billet ring sparks gives you is very nice. it provides a much better clamping surface than the cage that comes with the uni. i ditched the stock cage because it is somewhat restrictive. but then again, i like drag racing so all the power i can get the better off i am. i have used stock, UNI, twin air, and K&N filters before. i really didn't like the twin air myself because they are smaller than stock. you shouldn't notice a seat of the pants difference between a filter really. i don't have a problem running any of them myself. the K&N's don't seem to filter quite as good from my experience though.

400exrider707
10-31-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
the billet ring sparks gives you is very nice. it provides a much better clamping surface than the cage that comes with the uni. i ditched the stock cage because it is somewhat restrictive. but then again, i like drag racing so all the power i can get the better off i am. i have used stock, UNI, twin air, and K&N filters before. i really didn't like the twin air myself because they are smaller than stock. you shouldn't notice a seat of the pants difference between a filter really. i don't have a problem running any of them myself. the K&N's don't seem to filter quite as good from my experience though.

agreed 100%

vwjohnny
10-31-2006, 02:24 PM
I've got a UNI filter with some HRC exhaust parts on EBAY for sale. Check it out.
Item # 130042492522

ghott
11-01-2006, 07:38 PM
I've heard only great things about both the Sparks and Uni filters. Both are foamies, so they provide great filtration.

I have no personal experience with the Uni filters, but I use the Sparks filter currently on my R. The billet insert ring is a must. It provides a super firm filter-to-intake boot mount.

As for running a stock filter. I don't think I'll ever go back to that restrictive filter/spark arrested cage. Sparks/Uni provides great flow, and great filtration. Get a good and tacky filter oil, and you'll have no problems :).