PDA

View Full Version : 450R Carb & exhaust question?

ImplodedMindZ
10-30-2006, 08:40 PM
I just scored a 05 450r carb off ebay for 65$ i couldnt hardly pass it up for the price. I am wondering though that since i only have a DMC slipon is it worth puttin the carb on right now w/o a full exhaust to compliment the more air flow in. Or should i wait until i get a full exhaust?

Def-e-nition
10-31-2006, 04:15 AM
the Stock header Is NOT as bad as you think , and why wait until later when you will Definitely feel the benefits of the bigger Carb Immediately .

I would consider doing the Mod so long If I were you .
Pm Gp racer for an informed Second opinion .

CHEVYZ
10-31-2006, 04:23 AM
Put it on now. It isn't like you are gonna be hurting anything.

4everhonda
10-31-2006, 04:56 AM
Definetly put it on now, use different jetting options to compensate for the less air flow... if it needs it.

ImplodedMindZ
10-31-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks alot guys, the main reason i ask is i am not comfortable enough w/ jetting it myself so i was tryin to decide if it would be worth it to put the carb on and pay to have it jetter and then later on when i get a full system i would have to get it jetted again so i was tryin to weigh if it would be worth it thats all. I think im gonna do it though. just gotta come up w/ the loot for the cable and the cost for gettin it jetted now. Thanks again for ur opinions.

ImplodedMindZ
11-07-2006, 04:03 PM
I just got the carb in the mail and i have a few questions,
1. In this picture where does hose # 42 go to? On service honda site it just says vacume hose. And also Part #8 valve set/hot starter is not on the carb at all. Is this a part of the hot start system on the 450r's? I know most people dont even use the sys. My question is can i leave it open. Or do i need to go buy that "valve set" or can i try to go buy a plug for it? http://www.imagessite.com/OEM_Images/honda_atv_images/H04TRX450R23.gif

2. It looks like this carb has been sittin on a shelf for a lil while it has some dust on the side of the butterfly. Should i try to clean it out a lil and how do i go about that?

PismoLocal
11-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Hose #42 just clamps on to the bottom of the float bowl with the other side of the hose hanging freely its an overflow tube. To clean your carb go to any autoparts store and buy some carb cleaner it comes in an spray can.

ImplodedMindZ
11-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks alot pismo i was wonderin if i would have to try to hit up like a solvent tank or something but didnt think about some carb cleaner. And from what iv read so far some people block off that hot start so i think im gonna try to go to home depot or some hardware place and see if i can find like a brass plug or something to screw in there. Anyone see a problem w/ that?

Kaleigh
11-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Def-e-nition
the Stock header Is NOT as bad as you think , and why wait until later when you will Definitely feel the benefits of the bigger Carb Immediately .

I would consider doing the Mod so long If I were you .
Pm Gp racer for an informed Second opinion .

I agree.. stock isnt that bad.. I would put it on right now..

PismoLocal
11-08-2006, 10:37 AM
When I first bought my 450r carb I used silicone to plug the hotstart hole.

ImplodedMindZ
11-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
When I first bought my 450r carb I used silicone to plug the hotstart hole.
Thats what im probably gonna end up doin b/c i went around town lookin for a plug to put in there and even went to a nut & bolt store that had racks upon racks of stock and they didnt have one, I found out that i need a Metric 12 x 1.0 plug. Noone in town seems to have them so looks like ill be resorting to silicone as well.

ImplodedMindZ
11-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Well i ended up just puttin a tack down in the hotstart hole to keep the silicone from going all the way down and filled up the hole w/ some high temp silicone gasket maker. I also cut the top vent off a lil and capped it and drilled out the side vent for some extra clearance. Throttle cable comes in sometime this week so i should be able to put it on this weekend. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/ImplodedMindZ/DSCN0582.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/ImplodedMindZ/DSCN0581.jpg

ImplodedMindZ
11-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Well i installed the carb in like an hour and 15 minuts, i was suprised how easy everything turned out to be. Im tellin u though the forum really helped me out in what to expect and very good info.

But heres the thing. I didnt wanna mess w/ the inital jettin tryin to find what would work so i took it to a shop. Well when i got it back it is a PITA to keep runnin when its first started. its got a Keihin 50 Pilot and 160 main. Before on the stock carb i could start it right up w/ no choke and it would run no big deal, i wouldnt have to mess w/ the throttle or anything. I wanna try to get this 450r carb to that point. My jettin on the stock carb was 38 pilot 165 main. So where should i go from here to try to get easier starting. up a pilot size or so? thanks for any hlep.