PDA

View Full Version : Z400 A-arm/ Ball joint modification

jonboy
10-30-2006, 07:12 PM
I did this with the help from a few guys over at Z400central.

Before starting this mod, get a measurement from the center of the stock ball joint and measure 2" out onnthe arm, using a center punch make a reference mark.

jonboy
10-30-2006, 07:13 PM
next

jonboy
10-30-2006, 07:15 PM
then

jonboy
10-30-2006, 07:17 PM
now

jonboy
10-30-2006, 07:18 PM
last

JOEX
10-30-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm all for people coming up with custom mods as long as they are safe.

I'm no engineer so I have a couple of Q's...

How important is it to have a 'square' cut when the stock ball joint is removed and how is that determined in relation to the geometry? How is the cut made?

It appears the drilled and reamed hole is off center. Is that something to be concerned about?

jonboy
10-30-2006, 08:18 PM
I made the cut using a Hacksaw. I used a file and a staight edge scale to make sure that the face of the cut was as true as possible. I made sure to only take off what was necessary. Yes the hole was a little off center because I used the the factory cast hole as a pilot but, this shouldnt be a problem because there was more than ample amount of steel after the threads were tapped for stength. Also the ball joint pivot will make up for the slight imperfections in the ball joint angle.

Those are very good questions. I believe this modification will be a reliable as well as a safe alternative.

Also the Balljoints and jam nut are Lonestars

400exrider707
11-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by jonboy
I made the cut using a Hacksaw. I used a file and a staight edge scale to make sure that the face of the cut was as true as possible. I made sure to only take off what was necessary. Yes the hole was a little off center because I used the the factory cast hole as a pilot but, this shouldnt be a problem because there was more than ample amount of steel after the threads were tapped for stength. Also the ball joint pivot will make up for the slight imperfections in the ball joint angle.

Those are very good questions. I believe this modification will be a reliable as well as a safe alternative.

Also the Balljoints and jam nut are Lonestars

You just changed the castor of the factory spindle because that balljoint is offcenter.....thats not good..your probably running two different castor setups on each side.

slow motion
01-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Wanted to thank you for this post!

mswain
10-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Seems to be a good idea. Anyone else done this? I have a metal chop saw that would make getting a square cut easy. Wish I still had my drill press. Would like to see more posts from those that have done this procedure. Nice post!!!