PDA

View Full Version : air box lid and snorkel

sleepinR
10-30-2006, 08:30 AM
hey i just bought a k&N filter and i was wandering if many of you remove the air box lid? i also just purchased a new fmf fatty pipe and silencer and i was looking on fmf's website and they suggested a 158-160 main jet and also removal of the air box snorkel? does this sound right and do many of you remove this snorkel?

86 Quad R
10-30-2006, 03:15 PM
that 160 main jet sounds about right as a starting point. as for the air lid removal. that depends on you riding conditions. if you ride mostly dry, then i say remove it. if you ride in wet, then no.

i ride in various conditions and sometimes i run the lid and other times i dont. i jet my carb to where my plug is a medium gold in color with the lid off so that when i do run my lid, i'm a lil bit on the rich side. this works out good because most of my riding that requires a lid are at higher rpm's for a longer period of time.

when ya get ready to jet make sure that the float is set right and the reeds are in tip top shape. also make sure there isnt any air leaks and that the plug is gapped at .018 - .022"

i think you'll love the new(not as good as the old style) fatty pipe if ya havent already experience one.

250r4life
10-31-2006, 10:12 AM
i dont know why you would want to remove the snorkel... doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me... the air box lid, yes. the snorkel, no...

elbine69
10-31-2006, 12:31 PM
I got rid of the snorkel and lid. The 160 main sounds right as thats what I believe I had in mine.

TheFontMaster
10-31-2006, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't bother removing the snorkel. You have to take off the gas tank, and plastics and all that to get both pieces off. It won't restrict your air flow so you might as well just leave it. I ran the snorkel, and just took off the lid, then if I need to I can put the air box back on if I'm running in alot of rain, or mud on any given day.

250r4life
10-31-2006, 02:47 PM
i can not see an advatage to removing the snorkel, except for possibly saving a few ounces...

if mine wasnt all busted i would be running it