PDA

View Full Version : Z400 info...??

Blstr88
10-30-2006, 05:18 AM
Hey guys, so I might be selling my 400ex this week. If I do, Im obviously going to have to start looking for another quad...I was thinking of a newer 400ex but the Z400's have crossed my mind. Im just wondering a few things though

-If I remember correctly, the frames had a lot of problems? I remember a lot of people having them crack...was this just on the 2003 models? How big of a problem was that?

-How do they compare to the 400ex? Both in power/performance and also in durability. The 400ex was always fine for me, so I'd rather not to go a Z400 if its just going to be more maintenance.

-Anything else yoy guys can throw out there Id appreciate. Thanks.

Villageidiott23
10-30-2006, 07:16 AM
i know the 05 and newer frames do not crack like the 03. Maint. is nothing special. change oil, clean filter, thats it. other then getting the magnesium cover replaced on mine ive had no problems. i know the suspension on the z is better then the Ex but i guess thats just an opinion. got alittle more power too. i like the low end torque it has and if your a woods rider just drop the front tooth and you got an *** load more.

Blstr88
10-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Are those covers all magnesium ? How much did it cost to get it replaced...? I've actually never been impressed with the 400ex's low end, infact its kind of a ***** because I need to keep it at such high RPMs to get up any kind of hills.

Villageidiott23
10-30-2006, 01:12 PM
no not all the covers are mag. but mine was an 06 and it had it. and its a recall so it was free... and i wasnt refering to the EX as having good low end i meant the z......

mx1791
10-30-2006, 05:50 PM
well i was told all the 05's had the magnesium (sp?) cover, i got mine replaced for free. the frame is strong on my 05, ive beat on my quad for almost a year, flat landing, whoops, trails, and of course, clearing jumps, but that doesnt put much stress on the frame. the z is overall way better than an ex, power and handling. and maint. is easy. if u throw some extended a arms, an axle, and a pipe, along with other little things like nerfs, and its good, with some mx tires, its great for mx, the ex of course would need that plus shocks. the only thing the ex has thats better than the z is the looks, but thats my opinion.

drzoo2
10-31-2006, 04:50 AM
I have an 06. It had the mag cover but Suzuki recalled it and I got it replaced for free. Also the frames are gusseted (at least were the front shocks are connected now). There is definitely more material there. I remember seeing a thread on z400central on this and checked it out. About 1 or 2 months ago there was a great article in dirt wheels on the 07 EX. There is also one on the 07 z this month. They still give the z the top spot. The ex is aging. Air cooled, Single overhead cam. The Z has a little more technology and power. A better all around quad.

z

Villageidiott23
10-31-2006, 05:52 AM
i agree some can complain that the z is less reliable with its new technology but its not really. it just takes more common sense to understand when something needs replacement. you cant just ride the piss out of the bike with no maintenance and expect it to last.

northwest Texas
11-06-2006, 10:00 PM
It's six of one, half dozen the other. They're so similar (yet different) that you won't be changing much if you buy a Z.

If you liked your EX, I'm sure you'll like the Z. It has a little more hop up potential I guess and I would prefer a liquid cooled engine but.....

To compare the 2 (my b-i-l has a Z and DVX) there's not much difference at all between them and my EX.

Technically, there will be more maintenance with the Z but I'm nitpicking. I think it would boil down to $$$ if it were me.