PDA

View Full Version : sprockets-chain-bearings?

SnotMe80
09-08-2002, 10:23 PM
i have a 98 300ex-about 3 months ago the rear axle bearings started to show wear so i bought new bearings to replace-all went well but today the bearing near the chain sprocket came apart-i believe it is a defective bearing. so now i need to replace again-should i just replace with a new carrier or also a new axle. also i need new sprockets and chain-what is reccomended? any info at all is appreciated.
thanks
Rob

tprender
09-09-2002, 06:25 AM
Just put new bearing in if the carrier and axle are still good. When you put the bearing in pop off the seals and repack them with grease and put the seals back on. You will find that most new seals don't have very much grease in them. That is why the one wore out.

Leo
09-09-2002, 07:22 AM
When replacing the bearings (especially on a machine with some time on it..) always replace the center spacer tube at the same time..

If it's worn, then there will be excessive side load on the bearings when you tighten the axle nut down and they will fail prematurely.

Leo

ChadEXer
09-09-2002, 08:14 AM
I found when going to replace all my bearings and seals that its not much more to just get a brand new bearing carrier!!