PDA

View Full Version : Having back surgery

hondaracer31
10-29-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm going in for back surgery tomorrow at 6 AM. I sure hope this fixes my legs so I can ride again!

Pappy
10-29-2006, 06:08 PM
good luck Barry, I hope everything goes smooth.

enjoy the pain killers and hope to see you back on the quad soon!

hondaracer31
10-29-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks Pappy.

I actually loaded my quad in my truck and took it to a buddies shop yesterday and I discovered that I can't shift it. I don't have enough strength in my foot to lift the shifter.:confused:

Pappy
10-29-2006, 06:17 PM
when the back goes, alot of different things are affected:( mine goes out 2 or 3 times a year. drop to my knees and crawl to my truck and HOPE i can shift:p

coolguy8769
10-29-2006, 06:20 PM
good luck, back pain sucks!!! but i was on cloud 9 with those pain killers.

you get to have a cool looking scar and i dont:p

hondaracer31
10-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Yeah, the trucks not a problem, it's automatic. The quad on the other hand............

hondaracer31
10-29-2006, 06:24 PM
coolguy, I've had back pain for 3 years now. That really sucks, never broke my back though, hope I never do! As far as scars, I've got plenty of those, I kinda hoped I could get through the rest of my life without getting more!

10-29-2006, 06:26 PM
good luck mayne

wvspeedfreak
10-29-2006, 06:40 PM
We will be thinking about you Barry.We wish you a speedy recovery!

Mxjunkie
10-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Good luck man! Remeber when your on the pain pills what ever you say to the nurses you can say sorry I'm a little out of it :p

Ruby Soho
10-29-2006, 07:06 PM
good luck;)

orca0294
10-29-2006, 07:15 PM
good luck with the surgery. I crashed today and hurt my back it feels like the bones bruised so I'm gonna take it easy for a while, hurts pretty good.

MX MaNiAc 06
10-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Good luck Barry! Hopefully well get to ride this summer. Maybe even this winter at NEMX?

Enjoy the morphine. :cool: Hopefully u get some good looking nurses too.

Doober
10-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Hope all goes well and the best of luck:)

ATV Chic
10-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Best of luck and prayers. I broke my l5 vertabrae in half when i was 17 and it takes about 10 weeks for u to get the use of ur legs goin again. Have patience and do the exercises they teach u in physical therapy after the surgery and u'll be back to ridin soon.
Take care and again best wishes that all goes well. :) Be strong! :macho

firefighterjosh
10-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Good Luck

I am already having back pains at 21:scary: :ermm:

10-29-2006, 09:11 PM
my back is super messed up too

1st time i hurt it was years ago after skating i sat down to eat and it started hurting really bad so i stood up and it was getting really stiff until i couldn't move so 1 hour later i was in a rolling chair that my mom had to push me all the way to my room. Then i couldn't get out so i sat in the chair for 2 hours until i could finally get into bed (going to the bathroom was another story) i still mess up my back every now and then. After lots of x rays my doc told me i had smorals nodes.

WORST PAIN IVE EVER FELT!

hondaracer31
10-31-2006, 01:35 AM
I got home from surgery at 3 pm. It was a success! I walked within 2 hours of having the surgery! I have the strength back in my left leg, and the right leg is better. The doctor said it may take a couple of weeks for the numbness to go away in my right foot, since it was so bad for so long. ( right foot has been numb for 1 month)
It's great being able to walk without a cane. (I'm 38, I'm too young to need a cane!)
Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers!

Pappy
11-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Rock on Barry, you ready to ride yet!

Quad18star
11-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Good to hear everything went well with your surgery .

I pulled my back at a young age ( 10 or 11) trying to lift a 4x4 quad . Ever since then my back has been screwed .

My dad has had a couple lower back surgeries for slipped disks and such , along with most of my uncles on my dad's side . It's just a matter of time before I'll need surgery too . :ermm:

quad2xtreme
11-05-2006, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by hondaracer31
I got home from surgery at 3 pm. It was a success! I walked within 2 hours of having the surgery! I have the strength back in my left leg, and the right leg is better. The doctor said it may take a couple of weeks for the numbness to go away in my right foot, since it was so bad for so long. ( right foot has been numb for 1 month)
It's great being able to walk without a cane. (I'm 38, I'm too young to need a cane!)
Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers!

Been thinking about you and came on the site to find out your surgery date. Glad to hear it was successful. :) I know you won't be riding over Thanksgiving at BPG but I look forward to riding with you again in the spring. Do you have much to do in terms of physical therapy or is this more along the lines of rest is best? Geez, 38...your just a baby. ;) Connie turned 42 on the 3rd and me today.

What are you doing to your quad? You mentioned taking it to your buddy's shop.

hondaracer31
11-05-2006, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
Rock on Barry, you ready to ride yet!

Oh, I've BEEN ready to ride! However......I think I've got a long road of recovery ahead of me. My right foot is still a little numb and very weak, I've been walking a 1/2 mile or more everyday and it's getting better.
And then there's the work, it keeps pileing up. As soon as I'm able, I need to get back in a machine and make dirt fly!

hondaracer31
11-05-2006, 05:58 AM
quad2extreme, good to hear from ya! As far as therapy, basically just walk, as much as possible. That and some streching exercises, I go to the doc's Tuesday to get the staples out, and we'll go from there.
Trust me, I'me ready to be 38 again. For the last month I felt like I was 80! :eek2:
My buddy is installing a gusset kit. The one section I had on my track when Mike was up made me realize I had better get that done soon. It was BRUTAL!!!
I wouldn't be able to come to BPG for Thanksgiving anyway. My family just wouldn't understand me wanting to ride instead of visiting with them!:rolleyes:
I WILL be there next summer though!

hondaracer31
11-07-2006, 06:28 PM
I got the staples out, plus got released to start driving again. Going back to work, light duty, this week. Do you thing building a road is considered "light duty" enough?
Thinking about going to BPG in a week and a half. Can't ride yet though.:(
Gonna have to just watch.

wvspeedfreak
11-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track.Just don't over do it until you are better.

MX MaNiAc 06
11-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Glad to hear everything worked out for u Barry. Take it easy.

JRP
11-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
Glad to hear everything worked out for u Barry. Take it easy.

quad2xtreme
11-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Glad to hear it Barry. The dozer does all the work so I am sure that is light duty. ;)

I wish you could make it up over the Thanksgiving weekend. I am sneaking away not telling the family I am heading there instead. :D We used to spend the week at Hatfield almost every Thanksgiving but now that I have the mx bug it is harder to go trail riding. Plus I miss Dan and Amanda.

I just got the 450r running again. It suddenly died out the other day when I was trying to put it in the truck to take to the new house. I know one of the 2 jets other than the main jet was clogged and looked to have a small piece of air filter stuck in there. Then, the float stuck so I had to pull the carb back off.

/Jon