PDA

View Full Version : rode with the choke on

Rancher2005
10-29-2006, 05:48 PM
yesterday i was riding my 400ex and it was pretty sh**ty..i thought my jetting was way off because it would skip like crazy past 1/2 throttle. It was lousy on hillclimbs but I managed. I knew it was too rich. This morning I went to go change the main jet and noticed my choke was about 1/4 on(doesn't sound like much but the way the linkage is on the chokes causes the first increment of choke to restrict lots and lots of air into the carb). I changed the plug and ran it without choke. Ran like a top. The plug was real dark. I can only imagine what my head looks like. Keep in mind that I know that I rode for 25 miles. Is there any additive that works well and is safe on the engine to remove carbon buildup from the head? Something I could spray into where the spark plug is or directly into the air intake.

NY06400EX
10-29-2006, 06:26 PM
I don't think that one ride caused much build up. A couple of wot romps for a good distance will help burn up any build up. (I don't mean for miles at a time just some nice long straights if you have any.) Nothing to worry about.

Rancher2005
10-29-2006, 08:44 PM
alright...i figured that opening it up a little would help ..thanks