PDA

View Full Version : Cam chain tensioner

RezoD
10-29-2006, 09:02 AM
I know I'm cross posting, but I need as much feedback as possible.

Hey guys, got a quick question that hopefully someone can shed some light on. My cam chain tensioner (the original one) broke about a month and a half ago, my bike jumped timing and bent the exhaust valves. I replaced those 3 items, and it ran better than before. :) Fast forward to yesterday... My bike jumped timing, and because of last time, I knew to shut it down immediately. I'm tearing into it currently, and just found something.. The cam chain tensioner allows the cam chain to slacken, but does not automatically re-tighten itself. Is there a way to lock it where it's at so that the chain stays as taught as it is? I know that wouldn't be ideal, but I don't want to have to pull my exhaust off before every ride to make sure that my chain tensioner is still tight.

I didn't have directions/instructions as far as installing the new one when I bought it, and I didn't have a manual, so I wasn't sure if that T was supposed to stay in there (I didn't think it would fit with the screw in it.. does it?).

Thanks in advance boys,
Travis

yfzfelix
10-29-2006, 09:29 AM
when you install your tensioner you first take the philips head screw out of it ,then go inside that hole with a small flatblade screwdriver and turn the screw inside clockwise, that will retract the tensioner, then install the tensioner in the block, take your small flatblade screwdriver and then turn the screw counter clockwise that will release the tensioner so it will push against the chain, then reinstall the philips head screw and your ready to go, sounds like it was not released and was not pushing against your chain, hope this helps

RezoD
10-29-2006, 03:26 PM
nah.. I did just that when I installed it. When I reset the timing this after noon and retightened the tensioner, if you pulled on the chain (straight up off the cylinder), after about 4-5 tugs it would be loose again :ermm: I retightened the tensioner, and tried it again.. It came loose again.

Any suggestions anyone?

yfzfelix
10-29-2006, 03:58 PM
well my next guess would be broken chain guide

underpowered
10-29-2006, 04:20 PM
i would get a new tensioner. you should not be able to push teh tensioner back in by hand, and it should spring back out on it's own. sounds like your tensioner is junk.

dariusld
10-29-2006, 07:30 PM
If you try to put the tensioner on without doing anything, does fit flush or is there a gap? Is your cam chain stretched to far?

RezoD
10-30-2006, 03:01 AM
The chain isn't stretched too far, no. The tensioner will tighten up the chain so there is no slop in it at all, but it also lets it loosen up too.

Sounds like I'll be making this a manual chain tensioner. :scary: