PDA

View Full Version : Internet Options

Moto92
10-29-2006, 08:53 AM
Ive recently purchased a new house in a rural area. As a result my internet has changed from the intown cable connection to a 28k dial up connection...not cool. There is no way to get a cable or dsl connection out here so im looking into the satellite internet. My question is if anyone else is using satellite, who is it through, and what are your thoughts on it.
Another thing is what about PS2 connection, I believe it will work but gaming is time sensitive and the satellite has a delay from having to send the signal.

<DRS>GPF
10-29-2006, 09:53 AM
are you too far out for wireless? usually 5 or 6 miles as the crow flies..

satellite traditionally has about a 2ms delay.. think of it as starting out with a 200ping.. not many servers will let you in..

also, you may still need to upload through the phone line.. downloads are supposed huge packets though.. good if you download movies and games..

racerchic9
01-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Carter, you know where I live and we use Verizon Broadband through verizonwireless it works great here.

1fst400
01-22-2007, 09:50 PM
hues net is what my gf's aunt has.

Its a little slower than my dsl but it is tolerible.

byrdman37876
01-22-2007, 10:23 PM
anything has to be better than bellsouth dial up. it really sucks arse!!!! half of the time it won't even connect dials about 20 times then it is only28.6kbps. thats what i get for living in the boonies. cant even get cable out here but i thought about directv satilite internet.

450r51
01-22-2007, 10:26 PM
we live out in the boonies too, we can get everything, but the new verizon fiber-optic hookups along with there cable and what not.

heck we just got town water last year, our family has lived here for 30+ years.

01-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Moto92
Ive recently purchased a new house in a rural area. As a result my internet has changed from the intown cable connection to a 28k dial up connection...not cool. There is no way to get a cable or dsl connection out here so im looking into the satellite internet. My question is if anyone else is using satellite, who is it through, and what are your thoughts on it.
Another thing is what about PS2 connection, I believe it will work but gaming is time sensitive and the satellite has a delay from having to send the signal.

I live about 15 minutes out of Olney, and I have wireless internet from Illini Wireless. I'll have to check and see if they're in Mt. Vernon.

EDIT: Nope, they go as far as Clay City. Sorry. :(

01-23-2007, 05:31 AM

Here you go:

http://home.mvn.net/indexbottom.htm

Wireless Internet Access
Mcleansboro, Illinois is the newest edition to our high speed wireless network. We offer Wireless Internet Access in the following areas: Ashley, Bell Prairie, Belle Rive, Bluford, Bonnie, Dix, Ina, Kell, Mt. Vernon, Mcleansboro, Waltonville, and Wayne City.

01-23-2007, 05:37 AM
I use Netzero dial up. I think its about as good as dial up gets.

I looked into DirecWay. Over $700 for equipment and $70 a monthmore than I'm gonna spend on internet.

01-23-2007, 05:38 AM

I looked into DirecWay. Over $700 for equipment and $70 a month is more than I'm gonna spend on internet.

byrdman37876
01-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by garandman

I looked into DirecWay. Over $700 for equipment and $70 a month is more than I'm gonna spend on internet.

ok i just changed my mind on that option.:eek:

MOFO
01-23-2007, 04:41 PM

I just got a Verizon Broadband aircard for my Laptop through work. If you have this coverage in your area, it might be a good alternative. My latest speed test had me right around what a 512k DSL line would put out. Not bad for being 100% portable and I dont need to rely on finding WiFi hotspots!

EDIT: I just did another test and downloaded a 10meg file @ 1.5mps - I think they use some type of compression to achieve their advertised peak of 2mbs.

rtm1216
01-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
I just got a Verizon Broadband aircard for my Laptop through work. If you have this coverage in your area, it might be a good alternative. My latest speed test had me right around what a 512k DSL line would put out. Not bad for being 100% portable and I dont need to rely on finding WiFi hotspots!

That's a good option. I would go with Sprint though if you have them in your area. They offer a USB 'aircard'. That way you can use it on a desktop as well as a laptop. Their network is also much faster than Verizon when it comes to data. By the end of the year they will have RevA rolled out nationwide giving you speeds faster than cable.

I have one of their aircards and it is quicker than the DSL I have at home.