PDA

View Full Version : front brake fluid resivour screws stripped

400eXr1d3rZ
10-28-2006, 11:01 PM
The 2 screws holding the top on the fluid resiviour is stripped, one is stripped into a "cone" shape + rusted and the other is just "rounded", any idea how to get it out?

Pappy
10-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Ive used a drill bit and taken it down until the head comes off. Then I removed the cover and used a pair of small vice grips to remove the rest. Most of the time a simple screw extractor has worked, but often times the head is so egged out nothing will grab ahold.

400eXr1d3rZ
10-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks pappy.

dariusld
10-29-2006, 07:28 PM
Sometimes once the head and cover are off, you can use your hand.

NacsMXer
10-30-2006, 10:26 AM
One of mine got so bad that I ended up drilling a hole in it and using an easy-out (reverse drill bit) to get it out.

The problem, as you probably already know, is the super-soft metal Honda uses in their Phillips head fasteners.

I replaced the ones on my master cylinder cover with stainless allen cap screws so I don't have to worry about stripping them. It is also very helpful to do this on all the carb screws if you still have a stock carb.

johnsls
10-30-2006, 12:47 PM
It would probally be less time consuming if you just went to ebay and bought a used one.. probally like $15 -$20 shipped.

gbcap
10-30-2006, 01:29 PM
i don't know about less time comsuming...cause he would have to bleed the brakes and do all that jazz...

if you cant get any of the other options to work you can pry the top off with a chisel/screwdriver...chances are you will break the heads of the screws off...but if you break the resovior cap that isn't expensive to replace.

krt400ex
10-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
One of mine got so bad that I ended up drilling a hole in it and using an easy-out (reverse drill bit) to get it out.

The problem, as you probably already know, is the super-soft metal Honda uses in their Phillips head fasteners.

I replaced the ones on my master cylinder cover with stainless allen cap screws so I don't have to worry about stripping them. It is also very helpful to do this on all the carb screws if you still have a stock carb.

yup. same thing happened to me...mine r in the mail

hks308
10-31-2006, 10:40 AM
that easy out drill kit works great. i got a whole set of them at sears for like 20 bucks has about 8 different reversed drill bits and comes with a case. worked for my rear axle nuts to tightin my chain. and you can find websights on google the have every single piece/nut/bolt for your quad. and its real cheap