PDA

View Full Version : nissan skyline why not street legal

400exrider99
10-28-2006, 10:08 PM
why isnt the nissan skyline street legal in the us

1fst400
10-28-2006, 10:20 PM
probly wont meet inspection requirements.

250R-Dee
10-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Skylines were never made for the US market so they have to be modified for US usage. Motorex was the big importer of Skylines but they ran into some legal issues because of their bad business practices. Three of my friends in the US have GTR's that brought back from Okinawa. 1200whp R32, 600whp R33 V-SPEC and a 400whp R34 Nurspec.

rooster_20
10-28-2006, 11:09 PM
you could make mail deliveries quick haha

10-29-2006, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider99
why isnt the nissan skyline street legal in the us

Two main reasons, it doesn't pass US emissions tests and it hasn't gone through DOT crash tests. Not to worry, the new US version is due out in '07, based on the G35 body style. Should be awesome!

400exrider99
10-29-2006, 06:31 AM
i heard about the 07s but i wouldnt mind having a older one to play around in

WhiteYFZ
10-29-2006, 07:11 AM
??? i've seen a skyline on staten island before.. the guy was even driving on the opposite side.:confused:

mabe he was driving it illegally?

enduro400rider
10-29-2006, 09:33 AM
all skylines are right hand drive there are a few road leagle ones in the us but not many probably less than 50, basically if you can ever get your hands on a skyline in the US its probably a race only car but if you have good connections you can get it made road leagle. it will proabably cost you though

elbine69
10-29-2006, 12:02 PM
Yah like 250r-Dee said Motorex was the importer that brought them in and made them legal to be driven in the US, but they went out of business due to they way they did business.

Slinky
10-30-2006, 08:29 AM
i know where there are about 10 - 15 for sale in montreal..10k each, now if i can just get them across the border!

Jonesy
10-30-2006, 09:22 AM
A guy I went to high school with was stationed in Japan with the Navy. He bought a skyline thinking that he could have it shipped home once his tour was over. After he did some research and talked to a couple different companies he decided it wasn't worth it.

From what I understand the companies would ship the cars to Australia, where they would be certified as safe to drive after a few relatively simple modifications. Since the US and Australian safety codes are similiar, the cars could then be brought into the US, with less hassle. This whole process though was extremely expensive, so my buddy didn't go through with it. Like someone else said, you could have one imported to the states, but you could only use if for racing, unless you are willing to shell out some cash, or you got some friends in high places.

Trevor
10-30-2006, 10:14 AM
I assume it's the same story with the supra's then

PolarisRider06
10-30-2006, 10:19 AM
we were talking about skylines at work last week trying to think about what the owners next drag/strret car should be. he thought about maybe a skyline but when you bring them into the US they are without a title and to title them you have to put crash bars in the doors and some other saftey crap to make it legal then you can title them.

gbcap
10-30-2006, 10:21 AM
the biggest thing was the crash testing. the emissions was easy enough to get around getting street rod tags for it.

the skyline is able to pass the tests, but since none were provided to the DOT for testing they won't certify it.

you can jump thru the hoops and get them legalized but basically you have to prove it to be a street rod car.

10-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Trevor

I'm Pretty sure that Supra's were/are legal in America. Toyota just doesn't make them anymore. There coming out with an 08 model tho... www.2008toyotasupra.net

Slinky
10-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Trevor

Supra's were sold in the US for quite a few years until they stopped making them. Yes the Jap spec supra's were different, but you could still buy a Supra in the US where a Skyline was unheard of!

250R-Dee
10-30-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Slinky
i know where there are about 10 - 15 for sale in montreal..10k each, now if i can just get them across the border!

Be careful because they are many different grades of Skylines. The ones that sell for $10k in Canada probably sell for $1k over here. I have seen R32 GTR's as low as $3k.

The ones worth having (turbo models)
200GT-EX L20ET
R30 GT-EX L20ET
R30 RS-X FJ20DET
R31 GTS-X RB20DET
R31 GTS-R RB20DET
R32 GTS-t RB20DET
R32 GTS-t Type RB20DET plus larger brakes
R32 GTS-4 RB20DET AWD (it is wide like a GT-R)
R32 GT-R RB26DETT
R33 GTS25T RB25DET
R33 GTR RB26DETT
R34 25GT-t RB25DET
R34 GT-R RB26DETT

That is all I can pull outta my head right not but I am sure I missed a couple of the turbo models.

There are also many versions of the GT-R
V-SPEC
V-SPEC II
N1
M-SPEC
LM
V-SPEC II Nur
M-SPEC Nur

I personally love the older models from '68~'72 with the NA S20 and L20 motors.

Thanks to Motorex there are more companies that are capable of legalizing Skylines. The older cars (R31 and older) are a cakewalk to register but the R32/33/34 models will require some research, patience and money to get registered in the US.

Motorex made a lot of money before their bad business habits caught up with them. They were buying R32 models for $3k~$5k and selling them for $30k~$40k. They also did not crash all of the models R32~34 so some of their conversions were not "legal". There are 2dr and 4dr versions of the turbo Skylines. Motorex's conversion price was also "HEFTY" if you already owned a GT-R but wanted to make it legal for the US.

There are lots of Skylines in the US. I forgot about my friends who own an RB25DET (swap) powered R31 and another friend who pimps an older 1968 PGC10 with a 300hp 3.1liter L28 with a huge cam and many go-fast parts.

Slinky
10-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by 250R-Dee
Be careful because they are many different grades of Skylines. The ones that sell for $10k in Canada probably sell for $1k over here. I have seen R32 GTR's as low as $3k.

200GT-EX L20ET
R30 GT-EX L20ET
R30 RS-X FJ20DET
R31 GTS-X RB20DET
R31 GTS-R RB20DET
R32 GTS-t RB20DET
R32 GT-R RB26DETT
R33 GTS25T RB25DET
R33 GTR RB26DETT
R34 25GT-t RB25DET
R34 GT-R RB26DETT

That is all I can pull outta my head right not but I am sure I missed a couple of the turbo models.

V-SPEC
V-SPEC II
N1
M-SPEC
LM
V-SPEC II Nur
M-SPEC Nur

Thanks to Motorex there are more companies that are capable of legalizing Skylines. The older cars (R31 and older) are a cakewalk to register but the R32/33/34 models will require some research, patience and money to get registered in the US.

Motorex made a lot of money before their bad business habits caught up with them. They were buying R32 models for $3k~$5k and selling them for $30k~$40k. They also did not crash all of the models R32~34 so some of their conversions were not "legal". There are 2dr and 4dr versions of the turbo Skylines. Motorex's conversion price was also "HEFTY" if you already owned a GT-R but wanted to make it legal for the US.

There are lots of Skylines in the US. I forgot about my friends who own an RB25DET (swap) powered R31 and another friend who pimps an older 1968 PGC10 with a 300hp 3.1liter L28 with a huge cam and many go-fast parts.

what would it take to get an R31 legalized over here?...i'll have to look into what they have up there...i just know that they had skylines, early to mid 90's.

250R-Dee
10-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Oh yeah, only the R32 GTS-4 and R32/33/34 are Turbo with AWD. All other models are RWD.

Nissan Skyline (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_skyline) production dates back to the 1950's. My friend from the Corps (USMC) registered his car as a similar stateside 4dr sedan. Most Japanese cars dating from the 1960's to present are built with DOT glass and seatbelts. The models that do not meet US specs are usually lacking 5mph crash bumpers, the correct side impact bars in the doors, US spec catalytic converter, proper airbags for '92 to present models. My friend is stationed here in Okinawa again so I'll have to ask him about the registration process. All I remember is his car was brought into the US via an importer in NJ before being shipped to VA and the whole process took 4 months to ge shipped from NJ to VA because of paper work.

Another friend just took his ultra-clean Japan spec FD3S RX-7 back to the US and RX-7's are much more difficult to get DOT approved because of emissions. As long as you do not live in the communist state of Kalifornia, importing a non-USDM car isn't difficult as long it isn't blacklisted like some of the high dollar cars. The Porsche 959 was black listed until Bill Gates got it approved.

An R31 with the correct motor tune would be a nasty quarter mile sleeper in the US.

R31 GTR-S compared to an R34 GT-R V-SPEC2 (http://www.sutv.zaq.ne.jp/ryu2000/r31vsr34.htm)

800whp+ R32 vs 800whp+ R33 at a street race. It's actually at an industrial park that is setup with a tree. I wish we could do this here in Okinawa!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A1x1cREI19I"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A1x1cREI19I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Pelon 9-1
10-30-2006, 09:42 PM
i dunno, but i love it!!:D

joker11
10-30-2006, 10:13 PM
There is always a way around every rule. How creative can you be?
My buddy bought a porsche kit car, porsche fiberglass body, you build the frame and drop in a VW motor.
But he wanted to title it as a porsche, so he went and bought a wrecked one, took the VIN and smacked it on his kit car. Now....sure, it's shady, but it worked. He is the legal owner of the real one and the fake one, so he gets away with it.
I imagine there are a few people driving Skylines who got just as creative if not more.
Regarding the crash test and impact bars,I am tired of the government telling me how SAFE I need to be in my own vehicle while my kids might ride in a school bus with no freaking seat belts! Just my .02 cents

enduro400rider
10-31-2006, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by joker11
There is always a way around every rule. How creative can you be?
My buddy bought a porsche kit car, porsche fiberglass body, you build the frame and drop in a VW motor.
But he wanted to title it as a porsche, so he went and bought a wrecked one, took the VIN and smacked it on his kit car. Now....sure, it's shady, but it worked. He is the legal owner of the real one and the fake one, so he gets away with it.
I imagine there are a few people driving Skylines who got just as creative if not more.
Regarding the crash test and impact bars,I am tired of the government telling me how SAFE I need to be in my own vehicle while my kids might ride in a school bus with no freaking seat belts! Just my .02 cents

umm, why would you ever want to insure a porsche over a VW? sounds like he wants to pointlessly spend more money or try a real shady sale and say the car was real

Slinky
10-31-2006, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by enduro400rider
umm, why would you ever want to insure a porsche over a VW? sounds like he wants to pointlessly spend more money or try a real shady sale and say the car was real i'd go with the second part of that...sounds like that guys buddy is a crook.

trick250r
10-31-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by 250R-Dee

200GT-EX L20ET
R30 GT-EX L20ET
R30 RS-X FJ20DET
R31 GTS-X RB20DET
R31 GTS-R RB20DET
R32 GTS-t RB20DET
R32 GT-R RB26DETT
R33 GTS25T RB25DET
R33 GTR RB26DETT
R34 25GT-t RB25DET
R34 GT-R RB26DETT

V-SPEC
V-SPEC II
N1
M-SPEC
LM
V-SPEC II Nur
M-SPEC Nur

in your opinion, whats the best rear-wheel drive model of the skyline?

joker11
10-31-2006, 05:44 PM
He isn't a crook. He isn't selling it. He has a lot of time and effort in it and just wanted to have a porsche title on it. And it isn't any cheaper to insure a volkswagon than a porsche. Unless you get comp and collision. Which....why would he? It's just a kit car.
Liability is all that is required.