PDA

View Full Version : Durability of a candy?

Crashmore 22
10-28-2006, 09:35 PM
I know that 2 stage powders probably aren't as durable as a one stage. I have had two candy powdercoated frames and they both flake, not from rubbing, pressure washing, or anything else that I think would be legit reasons for it to chip. My question is, is that normal for a candy or a two stage? The silver basecoat is always fine, but the translucent or transparent color always comes off in big pieces.

Pappy
10-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Knock on wood, my work seems to be holding up well. Im sure there will be issues at one time or another, but so far so good. My bro's YFZ still looks as good as it did the day I pulled it from the oven and its seen more beatings this year then most play racers:p

If its "sheeting" then I would suspect an undercure on the top coat.

I try and not do a-arms in candy colors because IMO it is not as durable but I do what people ask etc.

hope this helps

C.Processing
10-29-2006, 05:11 PM
I own a powder coating business and can tell you candys just get dull, spray wd-40 or some type of shine material and it looks fine.

Framea I have done still look good after 4 years of heavy riding back when I used I.R heat lamps to cure them.

The main thing is making sure that the base is almost fully cured, now this depends on what chrome powder you use, most need to be fully cured before a top coat can be added, but there are chromes that get like 80% cured then they top coat is added amd cured so they can cross link with each other to get a bond.

But Pappys right, its under cured powder if its coming off like you described.

popo
10-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Pappy has been doing candy colors for me for the past 4 years..

I've yet to have a problem with any quality or craftsmanship and consider him to be the best at it.

I'm Popo and I endorse this statement.

Pappy
10-30-2006, 01:29 PM
LMAO!

gary, you need a "popo Approved" avatar

Crashmore 22
10-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks everyone.