PDA

View Full Version : turning wheels around to make it wider?

honda4life72
10-28-2006, 04:09 PM
i did this today and noticed the valve stem hits the brake caliber and stuff....how can i fix this? i am doing this to my little bros 250 but i am asking here cuz you all are older adult who know what your talkin botu unlike the 350 and under fourm

f4istunna
10-28-2006, 05:46 PM
i've seen ppl flip the original valvstem inside out int he wheel, drill a new hole ont he outside and put a stem there. Or maybe find a set of short valve stems somewhere.

I did my buddies z400 and they cleared w/ the caps off.

i wouldnt recommend it though seems to wear the bearings alot faster

JW450R1
10-29-2006, 04:35 AM
i did this to my buddies 400ex and i think it made it a little wide,and it didn't really feel right after wards

Gumby46
10-29-2006, 05:00 AM
Flipping the wheels to widen your stance put a lot of stress on your front end and dramatically increases bump steer. Its usually ends up working against what you were trying to accomplish by doing it in the first place. But its usually not going to hurt anything right away if you want to give it a shot.

CMPX3
10-29-2006, 05:39 AM
I did my R about a year ago. I left the caps off of the stems and put a couple of stainless flatwashers of equal thickness (if they are'nt the same thickness your wheel will wobble)in between the rim and the spindle to space it out just enough to clear my stems. I also put thread locker on my lugs so I did'nt have to worry about them backing off.I ride my bike as hard as anyone else and have'nt had any trouble.Although I would'nt be coming off any superman jumps with my quad modified like this, I mainly did it to space my quad out (the back is widened with store bought spacers) for sliding around corners without having it tip up on me. It may not be the best way to acomplish widening your quad, but it worked great for me.

CMPX3
10-29-2006, 05:41 AM
I did my R about a year ago. I left the caps off of the stems and put a couple of stainless flatwashers of equal thickness (if they are'nt the same thickness your wheel will wobble)in between the rim and the spindle to space it out just enough to clear my stems. I also put thread locker on my lugs so I did'nt have to worry about them backing off.I ride my bike as hard as anyone else and had any trouble.Although I would'nt be coming off any superman jumps with my quad modified like this, I mainly did it to space my quad out (the back is widened with store bought spacers) for sliding around corners without having it tip up on me. It may not be the best way to acomplish widening your quad, but it worked great for me.