PDA

View Full Version : Remove kill switch(odd i know)

ImplodedMindZ
10-27-2006, 10:50 PM
I really am in no need of the kill switch for my 400. I never use it to shut if off i always use the key and im wanting to remove the whole kill/light/start switch and just replace it w/ a start button from a dirtbike. But the only thing im wondering is how do i remove the kill switch wireing wise, in the wireing diagram there are only 2 wires that go to it, do i connect them leave them un connected ground them what? Any help is greatly apreciated. http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/ImplodedMindZ/wiringdiagram.jpg

Ceph
10-28-2006, 12:06 AM
if your not running lights... you can just unplug the whole thing and remove it, it's just conectors. then we usually put one of the Honda momentary kill switches on, in place of it, to actuate the starter.

i turn mine on/off with the key too, but still have my lights.

ImplodedMindZ
10-28-2006, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Ceph
if your not running lights... you can just unplug the whole thing and remove it, it's just conectors. then we usually put one of the Honda momentary kill switches on, in place of it, to actuate the starter.

i turn mine on/off with the key too, but still have my lights.

I am still gonna have my lights, but a while ago my switch for the lights messed up so i just went into the switch assembly and straight connected either the high or low beam wire to another switch down on my plastics that controlls if they are on or off. But it sounds like what ur sayin is i dont have to connect those two wires. since totally unpluggin em would be kinda the same. What is the honda momentary kill switches u are talkin about? pictures, links?

Ceph
10-28-2006, 12:25 AM
all that killswitch does, is ground the spark. so unplugging it, simply renders it useless.

we use the round type for the starter button. simple 2 wire install.

http://www.minimotoracing.fi/images/killswitch.JPG

ImplodedMindZ
10-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Cool thanks, where can i get one of those starter buttons at? Honda i assume but what do i ask them for?

Ceph
10-28-2006, 12:34 AM
eh, it's just a momentary killswitch. they come factory on dirtbikes. they'll prolly have one layin around the shop they'll let ya have.

ImplodedMindZ
10-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Sweet thanks for all ur help. i was just gonna use a KX dirtbike kill switch but w/e works. i like the look of that one better anyways. thanks again.

Ceph
10-28-2006, 12:40 AM
no prob. you can get a CR style swith anywhere online for prolly $10, which is abit too much for one, if you ask me. same thing but inside a rubber boot.

http://www.mcm50.com/img/killswitch.jpg

yup, $10 on Ebay... $6 for shipping, what a rip.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KILL-SWITCH-CR125-CR250-CRF250-CRF450-CR85-CR500_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35580QQhashZitem3 30041508124QQihZ014QQitemZ330041508124QQrdZ1

ImplodedMindZ
10-28-2006, 05:32 PM
It turned out great i really like it, b/c w/ my ASV clutch lever i had to move the whole light/start/kill switch assembly to the other side of the clutch. It was irritating that i either had to be in neutral or use my right hand to start it. not any more. great thing to do if someones plannin on usin this clutch lever/perch. http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/ImplodedMindZ/DSC00205.jpg

Ceph
10-28-2006, 06:16 PM
looks good, nioce job.

10-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Looks great.

I've got the ASV clutch lever too, so I think I'm gonna do something similar.

dariusld
10-29-2006, 07:38 PM
How did you guys wire your headlights?

Hondabeefast
10-30-2006, 04:36 PM
that looks very nice,i might just have to do this to my bike.

ImplodedMindZ
10-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
How did you guys wire your headlights?
I dont have stock headlights i just have foglights kinda mounted up to my frame so its not wired the same as stock. I just took one of the original + wires from the stock light harness and ran that to a switch on my left side plastic right by the fuel shut off then ran it from the switch to the lights. If you are using the stock headlights and want to use both high and low beams its gonna be a bit more extensive wireing you will have to use like a double pole double throw center off positioned switch im pretty sure. Search "DPDT center off" on google and u can find them.
Im gonna kinda guess as to how to wire them b/c i am familiar w/ wireing but not the switch its self. It has 6 terminals like this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/DPDT-Heavy-Duty-Centre-off-Toggle-Switch_W0QQitemZ180044266362QQihZ008QQcategoryZ581 69QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180044266362) and the 2 center terminals u would run 12v+ to and if you would look at the original wireing diagram i put up the 2 on one side you would wire the white and blue wire too that would be your high beam. and on the other side of the terimals you would connect just the blue wire to it and thats your low beam. this all in theory would work. If i were u i would do alot of checking w/ a test light to make sure the wires are correct but thats the jist. hope that kinda helped you out and if anyone thinks thats wrong feel free to correct me. i just posted what info i knew b/c noone else was.

Originally posted by Hondabeefast
that looks very nice,i might just have to do this to my bike.
Thanks.

dariusld
10-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by ImplodedMindZ
I dont have stock headlights i just have foglights kinda mounted up to my frame so its not wired the same as stock. I just took one of the original + wires from the stock light harness and ran that to a switch on my left side plastic right by the fuel shut off then ran it from the switch to the lights. If you are using the stock headlights and want to use both high and low beams its gonna be a bit more extensive wireing you will have to use like a double pole double throw center off positioned switch im pretty sure. Search "DPDT center off" on google and u can find them.
Im gonna kinda guess as to how to wire them b/c i am familiar w/ wireing but not the switch its self. It has 6 terminals like this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/DPDT-Heavy-Duty-Centre-off-Toggle-Switch_W0QQitemZ180044266362QQihZ008QQcategoryZ581 69QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180044266362) and the 2 center terminals u would run 12v+ to and if you would look at the original wireing diagram i put up the 2 on one side you would wire the white and blue wire too that would be your high beam. and on the other side of the terimals you would connect just the blue wire to it and thats your low beam. this all in theory would work. If i were u i would do alot of checking w/ a test light to make sure the wires are correct but thats the jist. hope that kinda helped you out and if anyone thinks thats wrong feel free to correct me. i just posted what info i knew b/c noone else was.

Thanks.

Thanks for the effort. I've wanted to clean up the bars for a long time, but its one of those things low on the to-do list. I like clean and simple.

ImplodedMindZ
10-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
Thanks for the effort. I've wanted to clean up the bars for a long time, but its one of those things low on the to-do list. I like clean and simple.
No problem, the stock lights are dual filament right? and does anyone know if when the high beams come on does the other filament come on and they are both on or does it swap to the other filament? i just wanna make sure b/c if they both dont stay on the wireing i explained is a lil wrong.

Stoon101
10-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by ImplodedMindZ
It turned out great i really like it, b/c w/ my ASV clutch lever i had to move the whole light/start/kill switch assembly to the other side of the clutch. It was irritating that i either had to be in neutral or use my right hand to start it. not any more. great thing to do if someones plannin on usin this clutch lever/perch. http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/ImplodedMindZ/DSC00205.jpg

Hey wat killswitch is tht ? is there a way icould do tht but keep my lights ?

QuadManiac
10-17-2007, 01:40 AM
Only one or the other filament is on at either stock switch position, never both.

ImplodedMindZ
10-17-2007, 06:00 AM
Yeah you can do this but keep your stock lights, not likely you will be able to keep the stock switch cluster. I used a small rocker switch that the previous owner put in the left side of the front fenders kinda by the fuel/reserve switch to wire up my lights to.

dariusld
10-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Stoon101
Hey wat killswitch is tht ? is there a way icould do tht but keep my lights ?

Why do you want to do this? The stock switches are pretty compact and clean and organized. If your getting it just to have a dirtbike kill switch on your bike,:rolleyes: I wouldn't do it. I did it to get the switch cluster off the bars to look like Joe Racer:D I got rid of the cluster, which didn't work(ton of sand in the switches,cleaned it a couple of times) and replaced it with a small kill switch and a toggle switch for the headlights(mounted on front fender).