PDA

View Full Version : Enough gas for a 1.5 hour race?

Sjorge450R
10-27-2006, 06:05 PM
I have a stock 450r and I was wondering if 1 tank of gas is enough for a 1.5 hour race? Whats the longest you have gone on a tank during a race?

Steve

cletusEX
10-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
I have a stock 450r and I was wondering if 1 tank of gas is enough for a 1.5 hour race? Whats the longest you have gone on a tank during a race?

Steve

I've raced a couple 2+ hour GNCC's that had a lot of wide open sections (the Wisp and Power Line Park) and have made it barely on a stock tank. My quad actually ran out of gas pulling it into the garage after Power Line Park. You shouldn't have any trouble with 1.5 hours.

Sjorge450R
10-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by cletusEX
I've raced a couple 2+ hour GNCC's that had a lot of wide open sections (the Wisp and Power Line Park) and have made it barely on a stock tank. My quad actually ran out of gas pulling it into the garage after Power Line Park. You shouldn't have any trouble with 1.5 hours.

thats what I like to hear! I didnt want to have to stop... Do you have mods done to your bike or do you run the stock motor?

trict_out
10-27-2006, 06:42 PM
youll be fine i havent ran out yet and i race 1.5 all the time

cletusEX
10-27-2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
thats what I like to hear! I didnt want to have to stop... Do you have mods done to your bike or do you run the stock motor?

I ran the Wisp on my old engine all stock except for a 05 CRF cam and Power Line I was running a stock engine. Both 05's and had HMF exhausts. The GNCCs are a lot more wide open than any local track I've run in MD, PA, or WV so you should be fine for 1.5 hours.

watts16
10-27-2006, 07:36 PM
I did fine w/ a 1.5 hour race on the stock tank. I have the lid cut w/ a 185 MJ. 2 hours was a gamble. Usually would be sputtering on the last few miles if the races had alot of wide open sections. Got an IMS tank now and had plenty left over after the Ironman GNCC.

Sjorge450R
10-28-2006, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by watts16
I did fine w/ a 1.5 hour race on the stock tank. I have the lid cut w/ a 185 MJ. 2 hours was a gamble. Usually would be sputtering on the last few miles if the races had alot of wide open sections. Got an IMS tank now and had plenty left over after the Ironman GNCC.

how much bigger are IMS tanks?

N300exJ
10-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Even better i think are the clarke tanks. you can get it in black(also same shape as stock tank as well) and its 3.8 gallons instead of 3.2 like stock. The ims tanks are 4.0 gallons and only come in white if i remember right.

cletusEX
10-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by N300exJ
Even better i think are the clarke tanks. you can get it in black(also same shape as stock tank as well) and its 3.8 gallons instead of 3.2 like stock. The ims tanks are 4.0 gallons and only come in white if i remember right.

Clarke tanks are 3.9 and IMS are 3.7. The IMS tank is more like the shape of the stock tanks where as the Clarke tank comes up higher where the gas cap is. The Clarke tanks come in many colors and the IMS tanks are red, black, or natural. I have a Clarke tank I'm waiting to put on for next year when I get some engine work done.