PDA

View Full Version : frontflip

ride red 14
10-27-2006, 03:12 PM
do you guys think a front flip on a quad is possible?? it would be insane to see someone pull it off what do u think?

svahle
10-27-2006, 03:44 PM
I suppose anything might be possible, but I highly doubt it.

ride red 14
10-27-2006, 04:39 PM
i would like to just see someone attempt it. im kinda w/ u on the not likely thing but i guess yah never no

Ruby Soho
10-28-2006, 09:35 AM
i doubt it, but if you had a big enough ramp you could

mojavedude
10-28-2006, 10:10 AM
all you have to do is pull the front brake at the end of the jump
:p :D

im just kidding:)

krt400ex
10-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by mojavedude
all you have to do is pull the front brake at the end of the jump
:p :D

im just kidding:)

LMAO...that is what i was gonna say

Ruby Soho
10-28-2006, 01:51 PM
lets wait till the thumpers do it first

Grant Casey
10-29-2006, 04:12 AM
i imagane it would be hard to do a front flip on a quad,i wana c the dirt bikes do one first.

cheers grant

Gumby46
10-29-2006, 04:57 AM
The front flip has been done in BMX....

However the reason for that is that a BMX rider has MUCH MUCH less momentum to overcome than that created by a full size motorcycle.

Back flips are all about overcoming momentum. However a back flip lets you use the power of the motorcycle itself to assist in overcoming the forward momentum. When attempting a front flip the rider would be required to overcome nearly all of that momentum using only his own strength. Making it nearly impossible given the weight of a modern motorcycle.

raptor146
10-29-2006, 10:58 AM
If you sit down going up the ramp so the back shock compresseses and throws are your weight forward and you tuck it might be possible.

Ruby Soho
10-29-2006, 02:33 PM
maybe go up the ramp and once you leave the ramp slam on the back brakes and tuck

ny300exrider
10-29-2006, 02:36 PM
with backflips you can use the panic revs to help spin it since the tires are moving the same way your flipping. with a front flip you wouldnt really have anything other than the back to help get you around because revving it would make it worse. unless you hit the jump, throw it in reverse mid flip, and then give rev it to the moon:devil:

10-29-2006, 09:56 PM
i attempted it once into my foam pit, it wasnt pretty, so i went out on the ramp and tried it and over rotated and face planted, i flat lined for 3 hours. But im okay now.

2004 Modified Blaster
Renthal handlebars
Pro circuit Pipe and silencer
Maxxis Razr tires
Winkle chip emplacor
Hot bag shock emphasizor
Slick rick gusset holders
+10 NOS

raptor146
10-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Branham
i attempted it once into my foam pit, it wasnt pretty, so i went out on the ramp and tried it and over rotated and face planted, i flat lined for 3 hours. But im okay now.

No you didn't

2004 Modified Blaster
Renthal handlebars
Pro circuit Pipe and silencer
Maxxis Razr tires
Winkle chip emplacor
Hot bag shock emphasizor
Slick rick gusset holders
+10 NOS

xwarriorx
11-01-2006, 12:21 PM
well you gotta think all the momentum that carries you off of the ramp would have to be completly reversed. a ramp carries up not down. i guess the front brake could do it but it would have to be on like some sort of step down so you could free fall with downward momentum. but i would not put it past them im sure it wasnt long ago before they were saying a freaking can can was impossible. (not that i remember but i bet they did) and has anyone ever heard of someone flat lining for 3 hours. was that before or after you landed the 360 you said you did.

tldPREDATORboy
11-01-2006, 05:52 PM
this is gonna sound really stupid but with my gas powerd rc/car i can slam it into revers and it does a froint flip.if you slam the quad into revers it should do the same.

tmoney
11-01-2006, 06:07 PM
unless your quad is front wheel drive I don't see happening, the only way I can imagine someone doing it is by slamming da front brakes at the top of the ramp, but thats still ridicoulus

krt400ex
11-02-2006, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by tldPREDATORboy
this is gonna sound really stupid but with my gas powerd rc/car i can slam it into revers and it does a froint flip.if you slam the quad into revers it should do the same.

then they need to come out with a really quick reverse system that will not blow ur tranny to bits

Nate_450R
11-03-2006, 11:53 AM
well you gotta think all the momentum that carries you off of the ramp would have to be completly reversed. a ramp carries up not down. i guess the front brake could do it but it would have to be on like some sort of step down so you could free fall with downward momentum.

yeah i agree. but it would have to be a pretty big step down. with little to no gap in between. after you slam the front brakes all your forward momentum will be gone. yeah your rear will come over you like you want but as far as traveling out away from the ledge i dont think you will get very far. but what do i know.

rollie
11-03-2006, 01:36 PM
if someone was going to try it...i would say they would seat bounce, break tap and lean wayy over the bars for it to MAYBE happen, the landing would be really sketchy though

400exfan19
11-04-2006, 10:18 AM
i dont think any1 is goin 2 try it. it prolly wont work. it would b a better landing tho if you didnt make the full flip. landin on the back of your rear tires better than landing on the top of ur front

John Pennella
11-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Grant Casey
i imagane it would be hard to do a front flip on a quad,i wana c the dirt bikes do one first.

cheers grant

Ya I'm sure that next year we'll see, most likely travis pastrana do a front flip in the x games. Remember, he did the double backflip on an f***in dirt bike.

Honda4lyphe
11-06-2006, 11:51 PM
its possible with the perfect measurements and compression on the rear shocks, my main concern would be ther rider, a backflip is a bit easier to move with but a front flip..i think you'd flip over wayy too easly, picture it in your mind like your gonna actually do it, i think it can be done just someone is gonna take a hella practice on this one.

wilkin250r
11-07-2006, 02:40 AM
Bouncing the rear shock on a ramp takeoff would be extremely difficult. It's almost impossible to bounce the rear without leaning back and pulling on the handlebars, which will bring the front of the quad UP, not down.

Letting off the gas and/or hitting the front brake would certainly give you the foward rotation, but it would be EXTREMLY difficult to control.

Think about the mechanics of a backflip. You lean back and pull your head back until you're almost looking backwards, but you don't LAND that way, do you? No, somewhere in mid-air your quad catches up with your body. This actually gives you quite a bit of control, because you can actually use the momentum of your body to adjust the rotation of the quad to bring it around faster or slower.

This isn't possible on a front flip, because you can't start off leaning foward but land leaning way back with your head looking skyward. Plus, you can't truly spot your landing with a front flip, you lose your line of sight at half rotation so you're landing blind.

pit/wood
11-07-2006, 03:09 AM
Am I the only one who has hit a short vertical lip,12-20", at the top of 15 or 20' hillclimb? I doubt it. I believe if you want to maintain your momentum,brakes are a no-no. If you pull your front wheels up and wheelie over the lip and only let the back tires hit the lip you may find the movement you want. But then wheelies are stuntin and not a freestyle move,so I have heard,not that i agree.

Take it from one who knows. If you have your front wheels in the air and hit the throttle as your back tires hit the vert. lip, you will front flip. Did it like that once and landed with my back tires in the air,me on the bars and my front bumper in the dirt. I just happen to have the perfect lip to try it on.

This should be an interesting weekend

Dan_Guetter
11-07-2006, 03:20 AM
get off my case *******..

What is your problem

pit/wood
11-07-2006, 06:22 AM
Is there a problem Dan?

Dan_Guetter
11-07-2006, 03:48 PM
"But then wheelies are stuntin and not a freestyle move,so I have heard,not that i agree."

Nice comment there boss

I think you have serious issues with yourself you need to work out.

You're implying that you know how to frontflip, or you have tried by accident. You have no right to say some of the stuff you do. Why do you even hang around in the fmx forum, and why the hell did you sign in my forum.....then to be banned because your actions are inappropriate. The whole problem between you and me is you think i don't give a crap about people who are just starting out...and that i have a negative outlook to kids that are just started....give me a ****ing break. I help everyone who are just starting...why the **** would i make a fmx site just for it...your a real piece of work.

Keep your personal grunge with me to yourself *******!

pit/wood
11-07-2006, 05:12 PM
as far as discovering the frontflip by accident,I never claimed that,brush up on your readin. I simply put out the experiance I have had here. If you doubt it that bad I guess I could hit it and get a pic for you,will that be enough? And you dont try by accident,you try on purpose and discover by accident.

What have I said that is not true? I put foward a few views that you dont like,asked a few questions as a noob that pissed you off.Tell me just what forum rules I have broken.

As far as the comment on wheelies being a stunt or freestyle if I had seen that someone decided to open a new stunting section, I may not have said that. However my book mark took me to my cp.

I dont want anything to do with you,if you can just ignore my posts I promise to do the same for you.

The comment I made to the noob about the pic and you bein the super-duper freestyle mod was done in humor,if you didnt get the attempt then you may want to read it again.

I dont come here to hear you tell me I have "serious issues" or for you to call me a liar, Dan. I came here to exchange info,opinions and experiances with others about ridin quads.

I went to the akraix forum(I mean yours) for the same reason I came here. for info on how to do this stuff and how to build my machine to hold up to the ridin I do. besides you never did say why you banned me,you didnt have any rules to follow,you never warned me I was out of line and may be banned. So how can I be inappropriate. you did some things to me that pissed me off and I said things that pissed you off so lets leave it at that.

pit/wood
11-10-2006, 06:14 AM
Here ya go people,make of it what you will. This is not me because I wont be runnin untill later today. This is what I claimed to have done right near where I claimed to have done it. Now I didnt put 2 and 2 together untill I was reading this thread and it hit me. So to me that means all those in the disscussion ,before that point,kinda share in the discovery. Thats what it took to get this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRhtd8NJpCY

This is simply the motion,the progression from this to a front flip is simply a matter as I see it,of ramp design. I am thinking a smooth transition to who knows what height,leading to a flat ramp at an angle to be determined. being flat for enough distance to unload the rear suspension enough to suck up the vertical lip(which may have to have a small transition). I am thinking that when you drop your front tires just over the top edge of the lip the position, in its arc, of the rear suspension(not to mention spring rate/rebound dampining) will greatly effect the amount and speed of the motion. These are just a bunch of thoughts and may not lead to anything at all.

And then there is the big question,who will be the first

MI-paramedic
11-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Hey Joe, couple thoughts.

Small ramp at the TOP of the 30'. Landing area at the bottom.

Like we were talking, the back flip is just basicly allowing the machine to do what it wants when coming up the ramp. Its a wheelie with nothing to stop it from going over. Basic physics say it will go all the way over with enough speed. Everyone who has ever tried a wheelie has pretty much got the backflip motion down. they just dont realize it when they are looking at the sky laying flat on their back. ( how many grab bars did YOU go through? Im not even going to try and count mine. )

SO since the front is wanting to come up when you are powering up a hill or ramp, Why go up the ramp?? At time of launch you will be having to fight the machine. Thats alot to over come.

Nate has the basic start down, but think of how high your going to have to get in order to bring it all the way around.

Just my rambling thoughts.

John

pit/wood
11-10-2006, 01:11 PM
I guess it doesnt matter if its a wheelie or not,it may lead to a frontflip is what matters. A couple trys over water is how I see it. you would learn alot from a couple hits . The landing,I have no idea,seems to me its going to be more of a momentum thing than hang time. That would stretch out your landing I guess.

The big boys will work it out I am sure. I dont know anyone around here that has the experiance to try it. Nate says he would do it to water,but I think he needs a couple supermans under his belt first.

Doin a wheelie up a ramp and droppin your front tires down over the lip and then peggin the throttle just dont seem right. Its one thing to do it up a hill,to land it from a ramp is another. Give it a few days,somebody will try it.

MI-paramedic
11-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Let me know, I'll bring my tanks and gear.

BigFish
11-10-2006, 04:36 PM
This is honestly one of the gayest threads I've read. Pit/wood, that is about the most retarded, redneck, waste of a minute of my life video I've ever watched:rolleyes:

Why are ya'll even talking about front flips, or more importantly how to do them, when 98% of ya'll on here probably couldn't clear a decent sized double if your life depended on it.

If you are going to talk like you can ride, please feel free to post up some evidence, if not, why don't ya'll leave this forum to the people who actually do push the limits.;)

I hate posers:macho

meankfx
11-10-2006, 05:57 PM
no posers here and who are u to talk

MI-paramedic
11-10-2006, 07:45 PM
So bigfish I take it you rode as good as you do now the moment you started right??

Never had to take time to figure out how to do a thing, it all just comes to you in your sleep.

Ever race? Ever ran a track without a preview? the first time you take a jump, dont you do a slow run up it to get a feel.

Pit/wood really does a great job at figureing out HOW to do before he goes out and tries, or allows someone to try something new.

What you saw in that video was them figureing out the basic PHYSICS of the first motion of what I am sure will be many more motions to come.

Granted pit/wood is not a " pro " but he will do more to promote ALL types of riding then most people I know.

The mind will take you over the jump, the ego will keep me employed.

pit/wood
11-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by MI-paramedic
So bigfish I take it you rode as good as you do now the moment you started right??

Never had to take time to figure out how to do a thing, it all just comes to you in your sleep.

Ever race? Ever ran a track without a preview? the first time you take a jump, dont you do a slow run up it to get a feel.

Pit/wood really does a great job at figureing out HOW to do before he goes out and tries, or allows someone to try something new.

What you saw in that video was them figureing out the basic PHYSICS of the first motion of what I am sure will be many more motions to come.

Granted pit/wood is not a " pro " but he will do more to promote ALL types of riding then most people I know.

The mind will take you over the jump, the ego will keep me employed.

Leave him alone, if he doesnt get it by watchin the pictures then he wont understand the words.

Hey bigfish, you have your opinion,and I have mine,and thats ok.

Pelon 9-1
11-11-2006, 12:54 PM
well. i think its too easy da double backflip in a quad, than the fronflip!! LoL:D :D :D