PDA

View Full Version : Question: How long to take apart quad?

zdowell
10-27-2006, 10:45 AM
I am looking to buy a quad, and want to know how long and how hard is it to take it part? I am going to get the frame powder coated that is why i want to take it apart.

Mechanixx
10-27-2006, 10:48 AM
There not hard to take apart just make sure you lable and bag all the bolts and parts :)

underpowered
10-27-2006, 11:09 AM
it depends. i can have my 400ex to bare frame in only about 3-4 hours. other people who do it often may take shorter, others adn first times may take longer. also got to account for hold ups like a possible seized swingarm bolt, other tough to remove parts that may cause problems. a swingarm bolt could hold you up for days without the right tools.

zdowell
10-27-2006, 11:32 AM
thanks. What do most people do to get it out?

northwest Texas
10-27-2006, 12:34 PM
A lot of cussing :D

I had to use a little heat to get mine out but it finally broke loose. Other's have had to resort to cutting it out.

miller821
10-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by northwest Texas
A lot of cussing :D

I had to use a little heat to get mine out but it finally broke loose. Other's have had to resort to cutting it out.

Heats always good, we were outta gas in our little handheld torch:mad: So we had to sledgehammer it out, finally broke losse with many hits and tons of oil being sprayed on it.

CHEVYZ
10-27-2006, 03:29 PM
It doesn't take very long at all. My first time took me a day working slow to strip the bike down, clean every part and do some painting/polishing, and put it (Along with all of the new mods) back together.

dxrolla
10-27-2006, 06:41 PM
hey there , this is my first post , i own a 2000 trx400ex
i decided to strip my quad and get the frame powder coated , it was real easy to strip down bagging and labeling all the bolts and clips until we reached the swingarm bolt , it took about 2 1/2 hours to get to that but it was seized after many hours of heating and bashing and still no luck the grinder was used to grind both ends of bolt down to frame more hours were spent with a punch but still no luck so i resorted to a hydraulic jack to pry the frame , when it was wide enough to fit the bolt ends out , we removed the engine / swing arm out , the frame cracked slightly but it there was no other option , once the engine /swingarm were out i took it too an engineering friend who put it in a press and it stil would not budge , last resort was a gas axe and it managed to cut the bolt/ sleeves and free the swingarm from the engine , still it took another 40mins to machine a pin and press the seized portion in the engine casing out ,
i now have have a nice black powercoated frame and swingarm and am rebuilding the quad at the moment it was worth it but that damn bolt put me behind by a few weeks about 14hours total just on that ,
if i didnt have mates in a few different workshops i hate to think how much it would have cost
good luck