PDA

View Full Version : New 450R!

WSB
10-27-2006, 05:47 AM
Hey guys

I`ll get my 07 450r tomorrow, would just like to know if there is anything that i should check before riding / breaking in the bike?
How long do you need to break it in, half throttle, 3/4 throttle etc.

Thanks for any suggestions, cant wait till tomorrow!

John Pennella
10-27-2006, 06:33 AM
Breaking in engines is the most controversial thing a quadder will ever talk about so I'm just gonna say that when I get my 400ex, I'm gonna take it off the trailer, fire it up on the choke, let it warm up good, then go for a ride and really work the bottum end so that the piston rings seal but not hole the motor to a high rpm until atleast an hour of riding. I always say you have to teach the motor what its gonna run like when it's brand new. I just went to mototuneusa.com and he explained what motors go through during breakin and it made lots of sense. But I would just ride the thing and maybe open it up for a sec once in a while in low gear and it's good to down shift a lot and let the motor slow the quad down cause doing this suks any shavings out of the combustion chamber. Other than that tho I would make sure everything is good and tight and lubed up good and just ride her like they were made to do. I know someones gonna disagree with me on the breakin but I just said what I would do not what every single quadder hase to do. O ya congarts and good luk with the new toy.

450ERRRRRR!
10-27-2006, 08:00 AM
Dont baby it. Just change the oil soon. Deacceration is important too! Come down a hill pretty fast and let off the gas, it really helps seat those rings.

lumi
10-27-2006, 09:38 AM
just go by your owners manual.

also dont burn the starter, hold the starter button no more than 5 seconds and than wait for 3-5 seconds. also do not give it gas when starting it.

clean the air filter when it looks dirty, dont let it get too dirty. clean it often.

alwasy check oil level and coolant level, will last you a good time than .

-lumi

craftyex
10-27-2006, 01:43 PM
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

WSB
10-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys

There was a problem with the delivery, will get it today, hopefully.

These dealers, they always promise you fast delivery and the you wait ten days!

Thanks for the replys!

WSB
10-30-2006, 06:20 AM
Have anny of you guys tried the "ride it hard and change oil soon" method of breaking in the bike and had any bad experiences.
It all makes sense in the link of motonetusa.

Cheers

10-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by craftyex
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Read this article. This IS the way to do it. DO NOT follow the manual.

I break everything in like this.

lumi
10-30-2006, 12:12 PM
i doubt that link will up aid in anything..... i have seen a whole bunch of those.... why would honda and all the major manufactures want you to break it in slow in the begining.

doing a hard break it can cause premature wear on the cam lobes and rollers, timing chain and ring seating and cylinder/piston wear... those articles are total bs. just follow the manual, change the oil every 5-7 tanks of gas, put some HP4M in the engine side and hp tranny oil in the tranny side, both oils from honda.

please dont listen to people, break it in following the manuals your bike will run better and longer.

just my 0.2 cents

-lumi

450ERRRRRR!
10-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Everybody has their own opinon. Your not going to seat those rings by babing it! It's a race engine. Disregard the manual on this one,it's ok with utilitys but on race engines I say open it up. I've done it both ways and babing it is not the way to go.
Change the oil soon, I think we all agree on that one!

Sjorge450R
11-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by WSB
Have anny of you guys tried the "ride it hard and change oil soon" method of breaking in the bike and had any bad experiences.
It all makes sense in the link of motonetusa.

Cheers

thats How I do it. A couple of 5 min hard riding sessions letting the motor to cool for about 10 min between each. Definetly make sure that they motor is properly warmed up. Did this on my 300ex and it worked perfect. So it is the same thing I did for my R.

Chango
11-01-2006, 07:53 PM
When i put my Athena Kit on mine i took it to Dumont Dunes and let it rip.If it's going to blow let it blow...

400exrider707
11-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by lumi
i doubt that link will up aid in anything..... i have seen a whole bunch of those.... why would honda and all the major manufactures want you to break it in slow in the begining.

doing a hard break it can cause premature wear on the cam lobes and rollers, timing chain and ring seating and cylinder/piston wear... those articles are total bs. just follow the manual, change the oil every 5-7 tanks of gas, put some HP4M in the engine side and hp tranny oil in the tranny side, both oils from honda.

please dont listen to people, break it in following the manuals your bike will run better and longer.

just my 0.2 cents

-lumi

How is anything going to wear out any sooner? Please explain. At least mototune has factual evidence to back it up. What would cause the cam to have premature wear? Only way is if it wasn't getting oil, and that will only happen if the head is starved for oil, and that has nothing to do with how hard you ride it.