PDA

View Full Version : Air Box Lid?

01_400exrider
09-08-2002, 04:33 PM
WONDERING IF ANYONE KNEW IF IT WAS BETTER TO RUN NO AIRBOX LID W/ K&N, OR IF I SHOULD DRILL SOME HOLES IN THE TOP OF IT. I DONT HAVE THE OUTERWEAR NOW. I RIDE IN THE DUNES MOSTLY, NEVER ANY TRAIL RIDING. I READ SOMEWHERE THAT WITH A STOCK AIR CLEANER, IF YOU TAKE THE LID OFF U LOOSE POWER!

airheadedduner
09-08-2002, 04:38 PM
Get an outerware, it will make your K&N last a lot longer, they are not expensive. I run a K&N with outerware in a swiss cheesed airbox and have no problems. You won't loose any power by taking the stock lid off, but it won't help any enless you have at least a pipe. You gotta be able to flow air out as fast as you can get it in.

crashinmatt
09-08-2002, 07:08 PM
some believe in leavin it on and cuttin holes in it, and some believe in just takin it off. i believe just take it off. if u mostly ride dunes then i dont think u will have a big problem. i hear people run just filters with no airbox in the dunes?.

airheadedduner
09-08-2002, 11:45 PM
I used to run just a filter and no airbox, it works fine. I got an airbox for more protection on the track.

BIGRED400
09-09-2002, 05:35 AM
I ran mine for a while witout the lid but was getting more dirt than I wanted inside the box,I purchased 12 pre filters for 1" holes and drilled my lid and it is getting hardly nothing in it but a whole lot of good clean air,might save your motor in the long haul. Alot of good race shops will tell you to do what you can to keep any dirt from out of the motor , one grain of sand can do alot of damage inside. You can get them at most Honda shops, or any mail order place. About halfway down this page ---http://www.unifilter.com/accessory-catalog.htm