PDA

View Full Version : full exhaust vs slip on

400exfan19
10-26-2006, 10:18 PM
is it better to buy the full exhaust?why? or just get the slip on?

Old Head
10-27-2006, 03:35 AM
The full exhaust is better. They are engineered to give you better flow out of your head thus giving you more power.

GPracer2500
10-27-2006, 10:16 AM
I'd much rather spend my money on a good slip-on and a camshaft than a full system. Unless asthetics are really important, I wouldn't bother with a full system on a 400EX until some engine work has been done. The stock 400EX headers work pretty well for a (mostly) stock engine.

250exkid
10-27-2006, 11:06 AM
im all with full system. why would you take the time to get a slip on and camshafts??? im not saying thats bad but its much easier to get the full system and it might even give you more power.:macho

GPracer2500
10-27-2006, 11:40 AM
A good slip-on and an aftermarket cam is going to easily outperform a full system and a stock cam on a 400EX.

BigValvedEX
10-27-2006, 03:32 PM
I have seen dyno charts on the 400ex with a full exhuast vs slip on and the full usually has little or no power gains over a slip on.

krt400ex
10-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
I'd much rather spend my money on a good slip-on and a camshaft than a full system. Unless asthetics are really important, I wouldn't bother with a full system on a 400EX until some engine work has been done. The stock 400EX headers work pretty well for a (mostly) stock engine.

yes, u right, but a different headpipe, if engineered well, can change the whole power output of a machine. it is not always about flow, but the way it is designed. the lengh, circuference, ect... a longer pipe will give u more bottom to mid, and a shorter pipe will give u more mid and top. the diameter is not that biggest thing to think about.

cals400ex
10-27-2006, 07:26 PM
a 400ex with a 406 piston that runs on pump gas and a drop in camshaft with the stock header and silencer will outrun any 400ex with a full pipe, filter and jetting. we have tried it before. ;)

so in that case, yes, i would get a cam and a slip on over a full system. however, when drag racing our full systems are better than a slip on.

Gumby46
10-29-2006, 03:32 AM
I don't really know where all the talk about cams and pistons is coming from. From what I'm reading he is asking...

is it better to buy the full exhaust?why? or just get the slip on?

If you have the money to spend, yes it is better.

Because the head pipe is specifically tuned to the silencer.

Are slip-on's bad? Not at all. They are a cheaper solution and will provide you with better performance than the stock silencer in almost all cases. However generally not as much as a full system will.