PDA

View Full Version : air filter

97rider
10-26-2006, 08:22 PM
i got a question i got two dif answers one of my buddys told me if you use diesal fuel to clean your air filter its ok and another buddy told me deisal fuel will evetnually eat away at your filter whose correct?

4TraxRider
10-27-2006, 02:25 PM
If I remember right I think diesel is better on filters than gas. I've been using the No-toil filters and cleaners for a while now and can't be happier with it. Really makes clean up a breeze.

firefighterjosh
11-09-2006, 02:08 AM
Don't use Gas or anything like it. Just use whats recomeneded. Good ole Dawn and Warm water. then some Klotz filter oil

HondaEXrider22
11-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Well, I use dawn and water and work it in for a long time. Today I cleans all my airfilters (2 stocks, 2 WB airfilters the red ones, and my TWIN) and all works except for the White Bros. one. I cant seem to get the dirts and stuff out no matter how long I work the detergent in.
To use gas, all I do is pour it over it, right?

firefighterjosh
11-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by HondaEXrider22
W
To use gas, all I do is pour it over it, right?

Do not use gas, but if you really really want to and risk engine failuer just dunk it in some gas and swish it around and wayla clean filter.

HondaEXrider22
11-13-2006, 04:47 AM
Well I used deisel yesterday, and I have never seen my filters so clean since new. I let them fully dry, and some more. I then coated in PJ-1 filter spray and they worked fine. I have rode them yet, but have started them and seem to be fine. Filters seem to be fine also.

dirt286
11-13-2006, 02:16 PM
i use the PJ1 filter cleaner. it dissolves the dirt on contact and looks brand new when done. Anybody have problems with that stuff?

HondaEXrider22
11-14-2006, 04:44 AM
Nope, been useing it since I owned the quads, no problems here.

vze2hnvz
11-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Diesel or Kerosene are fine. Honda used to recommend it in the manuals (stock foam filters). The foam and glue used in foam filters are mostly resistant to breakdown by mild petroleum products. Not to say that I would use gas, its just to harsh. Just a higher flashpoint solvent like kerosene. Even look at Twin-air's page, scroll down to filter cleaning:

http://www.twinairusa.com/tips/

LTZ400rider
11-17-2006, 08:25 PM
dish soap and water dont do jack chit. use twin air cleaner or pj1. it literally makes the old oil drip out of the filter. its amazing. dish soap doesnt get old oil out of the filter

firefighterjosh
11-19-2006, 06:38 PM
I never had a problem using dawn dish soap and water. Must be cuz I wash my filter ever race and almost every ride:ermm: