PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Easy A-arm questions

GearHeadz400ex
10-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Winters comin up which means its time to throw some money at the 400ex. What I really want to do is widen my quad, I love the stance and the width imo would feel much better. I started looking around at lowering/widening kits and wheel spacers. Everybody on here seems to say they are a waste and to just save up for a-arms. Now my ?'s are: If I got extended a-arms could I run my stock shocks or would I need longer shocks? When the a-arms say +2 is this +2 inches for each a-arm or +2 inches overall (1inch more on each a-arm)... Is there any real need for an a-arm like +2 +1 or is the need for + forward mostly for drag and super high power bikes?

WhiteYFZ
10-26-2006, 08:22 PM
you can run your stock shocks.
you can get them rebuilt for the a arms you get (which would make them work alot better).

+2 means +2 on each side. you do not need +2,+1 forward. some good a arms are houser,lonestar.... hope that helps

10-26-2006, 10:51 PM
There are two types of A-arms...
Standard Travel and Long Travel.
You would want standard travel. Standard travel a arms are wider, but have the stock shock mounts as stock so you can use your stock shocks. Long Travel a arms use longer shocks. Usually around 18.5 inches for Yamaha and 19 inches for Honda and Suzuki. While stock is around 10 inches.

Your going to want to get an axle for the rear to even up the width of the front with wider a-arms on.

wilkin250r
10-27-2006, 01:14 AM
Let's clarify. Your stock shocks will bolt up to +2 a-arms, because they all use the same size shocks as stock. You can also ride it this way, but it won't work to full potential.

The extended arms will put extra leverage on the shocks, so they'll be really soft. This is great for soaking up small bumps, but really bad for jumping. Everybody will tell you not to do it, I'm here to tell you that you CAN, you just need to be aware that you're shocks are going to be really soft.

As for getting +1 foward, that really depends on where and how you are riding. But my theory is that if you aren't absolutely sure you NEED them, then you probably don't need them. Just stick with the standard.

rob-u/21
10-27-2006, 09:44 AM
If I got extended a-arms could I run my stock shocks or would I need longer shocks?

Yes, your stock shock will bolt on but like wilkin250r said, but with the wider stance you will put more leverage on your shock and make them too soft to soak up anything big.

When the a-arms say +2 is this +2 inches for each a-arm or +2 inches overall (1inch more on each a-arm)

+2 inches means 2 inches per side or 4 inches overall.

Is there any real need for an a-arm like +2 +1 or is the need for + forward mostly for drag and super high power bikes

No, There is no need for a +1 forward on the 400ex. It was on the 250r but not the newer quads.

You will also need to buy an axle to even up the rear and you will also need to invest on a set of steelbraided brake lines.

You should try looking in ebay, I always see used complete set of front ends (a-arms, shocks, and brakelines) for sale.