PDA

View Full Version : spark plug removal

interceptorz28
10-26-2006, 07:41 PM
I just picked up my second 400ex. its an 03 and is a little beat up. Well I need help changin the plug.
I have a 18mm deep spark plug socket and it wont fit.
Are one of those special tools necessary that come with the bike?

thanks in advance

Wildbrain
10-26-2006, 11:50 PM
I just took my 18mm socket to the grinder,took a little off the outside and it will fit down there now. Either that or use the one that Honda gives you in there tool kit. That will work but it is kinda tough to use.

wilkin250r
10-27-2006, 12:24 AM
There are a few ways to get around it. One way is to order a thin-wall 18mm deep socket from a specialty shop, or maybe your local automotive shop can get it. The thinner walls allow it to fit, but it's not as strong, so don't use it for anything but your spark plug.

Another way is to order Motion-Pro part number 08-0175, your local dealer should be able to get it. It's an 18mm deep socket specifically designed for pulling spark plugs out of heads like the 400EX.

Me, I bought a deep socket set from Wal-Mart with the intentions of pulling the 18mm and chucking it up into a lathe to grind it down. However, much to my surprise, no grinding needed! I can't guarentee that ALL deep sockets from Wal-Mart will work, but it's by far the cheapest option if it does.

interceptorz28
10-27-2006, 07:10 AM
o.k., so I guess I will try grinding the socket because I dont have a wal mart close to me. Do I have to grind the entire length of the sprocket or like half of it?

Wildbrain
10-28-2006, 12:45 AM
You don't have to take off very much with the grinder. Just a little will do ya fine. I took a little off the whole socket and it works just fine. Maybe, just keep it for use on the plug only, cause it might crack on you if you use it on something else.