PDA

View Full Version : 02 400ex won't start! - help me! -

hks308
10-26-2006, 05:48 PM
well it all started when i rolled my quad down a hill, and the battery terminals just got messed up and battery cracked. it was a mess. so i jumped started it down a hill and rode it home. today, when i got a new battery. the neutral light won't come on... nothing. no clicking, buzzing, turning over of the engine, nothing at all. fuze is good. connections are all clean. i have no idea what the problem is. do you think it could be my solinoid or something small like that? but i can still jump start my quad.

please help a rider out.

thanks in advance

Eviltanker
10-26-2006, 06:07 PM
check the relay and selinoid

dariusld
10-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Is the new battery charged?

hks308
10-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Eviltanker
check the relay and selinoid

how do i check the relay and selinoid?

and yes the battery is charged.

Blstr88
10-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Haha thats so awesome. Ok so I rolled my 400ex last Saturday down a nice hill. Got on and it started right up, kept riding. After I got it home SAME THING. Wouldnt start, no clicking, no neutral light.

Check the fuse, I replaced mine and it started up perfect. Its just forward of the battery, take off your fenders and you cant miss it. There might be 2 of them...one is the fuse and one is the spare fuse.

Let me know if that works.

hks308
10-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Blstr88
Haha thats so awesome. Ok so I rolled my 400ex last Saturday down a nice hill. Got on and it started right up, kept riding. After I got it home SAME THING. Wouldnt start, no clicking, no neutral light.

Check the fuse, I replaced mine and it started up perfect. Its just forward of the battery, take off your fenders and you cant miss it. There might be 2 of them...one is the fuse and one is the spare fuse.

Let me know if that works.

nope, just went out and tried it. i wish it was that easy for me. no sparking or anything. think it could be something big?

400exmkt
10-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Same thing happened to me. Make sure you got a good ground. It took me a while but that was what was wrong with it.

Hope it helps.

svahle
10-27-2006, 07:01 AM
Check the wire that goes into the engine down by the gear shift. Mine came loose and no neutral light and would not start. It is my understanding this wire detects when the tranny is in neutral. When it is loose the quad won't start b/c it doesn't know it is in neutral. Just a thought. Good luck.

hks308
10-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by svahle
Check the wire that goes into the engine down by the gear shift. Mine came loose and no neutral light and would not start. It is my understanding this wire detects when the tranny is in neutral. When it is loose the quad won't start b/c it doesn't know it is in neutral. Just a thought. Good luck.

where's that located at? can you just post a picture of it?

duke416ex
10-27-2006, 09:28 AM
If it is the wire going down to teh nuetral switch it would start with the clutch pulle din. That switch is just to keep from starting in gear.

I had this problem some, just take the wires off the battery and clean the terminals on the wires and battery good with a wire brush. Take them off the silinoid and clean them the same way. If it is a bad connection(which was usually me trouble from mud and water) then this should fix it. Hope this helps

Oh yea, the wire he is talking about is below the shifter, you will see it, it is just a single wire and it is green with black wrap on it.

hks308
10-27-2006, 09:34 AM
alright, thanks. i will take a look at this when i get home.

hks308
10-27-2006, 04:37 PM
this is gettin to be to much... for just a couple of rolls... i checked that cable right by the gear shifter and cleaned it off and it wasn't that. clean all the terminals and just about every electrical connection.

like when i put the cables to the battery, there is not even a little spark or anything..........

what else should i clean, check, anything?

Mechanixx
10-27-2006, 04:47 PM
Ok first off when you turn your key on dose your headlite or tailight come on?

hks308
10-27-2006, 04:59 PM
nope. nothing at all. i never turned the key off ever since ive tried all these things and the battery is still fully charged.

Mechanixx
10-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Ok you either have a bad ground at the frame or a blown fuse.Follow the ground wire from the battery to were it bolts on to the frame make sure this is clean and good and tight.If you have a volt meter make sure that the battery has 12 volts because if you have no lite or anything you have a bad battery,fuse,and connection either at the battery or were your cables goto.

hks308
10-27-2006, 09:57 PM
do you think it could be my solinoid?

Mechanixx
10-28-2006, 07:27 AM
I doubut its the solinoid.Do you have 12 volts at the battery (checked with a volt meter)Dont assume that your new battery is charged that thing might have been charged and sat on a shelf for 6 months.Ive been a auto mechanic for 20 years and trust me Ive gotten a few bad batterys off the shelf.Here is a wiring diagram to help you follow the wires and maybe understand the problem better.Check the ground cable extremly well and get a volt meter with out a meter your guessing and I like to call this SWAG sciatificly wild *** guess at whats wrong you cant see electricity so without a meter your lost>here is a diagram for you.
Edit if you dont have a volt meter take the battery out and take it to your local repair shop they will probley check it for you for FREE!!!!