PDA

View Full Version : leaded fuels

smitht316
10-26-2006, 01:21 PM
im going to be mixing 91 octane with race fuel. my question is, for my 4 stroke ive been mixing it with leaded fuel since the only place i can find it around here is the air port. im not worried about the 4 stroke but im not sure if the leaded fuel would be good for a 2 stroke since i dont know much about leaded fuel. any help would be nice

eastexasbanshee
10-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Yes it will work with no problem, I believe most race fuels are leaded anyway.

Banshee009
11-12-2006, 11:19 AM
leaded race fuel and leaded airplane fuel ARE NOT the same

airplane fuel is drier. mixing it with a good grade of gasoline helps, but you should stick with a good kind of race fuel to mix it with

what kind've jof ratio you running in that 2 stroke?

smitht316
11-12-2006, 12:49 PM
ive got 20cc domes. running around 160psi. i really dont know too much about 2 stokes. i dont want to run something that will shorten the life of the engine

Banshee009
11-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Smith,

that's cool, that's my last name.....

i'll putta post here later, just got back from the shop and gotta go on a beer run before the local bar closes, be back soon

laters

Banshee009
11-12-2006, 07:44 PM
OK, i'm back, can michelob amber bock be the best beer or what? just treatin' myself, now on to yer question.....

listen, i don't want to scare you into anything, it's just that i was told years ago that airplane fuel and 2-strokes are not the best combo. airplane fuel is made especially for those motors, and you don't know anything bout the fuel, like the S.G. the amount of lead, weather it's oxygenated or not. with a reputable race fuel and a dealer of that fuel that will sit down and explain what is in their fuel, you will know exactly what is in your fuel. if you can't find a dealer that knows what their fuel is about and the contents, then find another that does. there are too many race fuels out there these days and their fly by night. pick one that has been around for awhile. (hint, VP isn't the best bet)

on the the next thing.....

i'm not sure how your gittin' 160 PSI on the comp. with 20cc domes, but if your sure you are, i'd be leaning toward stright race fuel, 110 octane and higher. leaded or not leaded. granted, the leaded is gonna be cheaper. the TrackTek TT111 that i sell right now is going for $4.60/gal by the 55 gal drum. it dosen't matter if it's leaded or not, just be sure it has the octane.

are you checking the comp right? both plugs out and holding the throttle wide open and kicking it bout 5 to 10 times should stabilize the needle for the reading. are both cyl within 5-10 PSI?
if so, good!

next, git yourself a GOOD two-stroke oil, the one i've been using for years is Redline Two-Stroke Race oil. yeah it's $40.00/gal, but i sponser a drag bike that runs it 100:1 with NO failures, yeah, not one. i run it 50:1 in everything i got. banshee, chainsaws, weed wackers, concrete saw, i mix up one batch and run it in everthing. man does it smell good when your cuttin wood! don't try that with your run of the mill premix oil.
when i tear down a motor, i wipe it clean, no carbon deposits, and everything is clean. i've seen alot of oils run in alot of engines that come to me that i have to clean and decarbonize, and let me tell you, it isn't fun, and when they leave, i make sure that motor gets redline run in it.
if you stick to that, i'm pretty sure you won't have any probs.

if ya have any more Q's, email me

banshee009@hotmail.com

hope this helps ya

later