PDA

View Full Version : @%$#@!! sprocket bolt keeps coming loose!

atvmxr
10-26-2006, 10:40 AM
I can not figure out why sprocket bolt keeps coming loose. I use lock tight, torque it to the recommended spec, and after a couple months it still comes loose. What should I do? I tried using a longer bolt, but I think it bottomed out which caused the bolt to break off. As of right now I have a new countershaft, a new bolt and washer, lock tight, etc. and it still came loose!! I rode my R's for years and never had a problem and within the last couple years I have had the bolt come out about 5 times. I am missing something?? :confused:

addictedtomud
10-26-2006, 06:21 PM
There is a dish-shaped washer that goes under the sprocket bolt, and the top of the dish MUST face outward (toward the bolt). If you're already doing that, I've got nuthin!! Blue Loctite 242 should do the job, but you could try the red stuff.

Good luck
Kyle

BLACKeR
10-26-2006, 06:23 PM
its possible your over torquing the bolt and stretching the threads. try tightening it to specs if you arnt already and using some red loctite.

ZRider400
10-26-2006, 09:20 PM
replace the bolt and washer, and use red loc-tite.

nh591
10-27-2006, 06:47 AM
check the alignment of the chain from the front sprocket to the rear you might be missing the spacer that goes on the countershaft behind the sprocket

atvmxr
10-27-2006, 08:27 AM
thanks for the suggestions. i guess the answer is more loctite! :D
i just did a nearly total rebuild (crank, tranny gears) I have a new countershaft, a new bolt, and a new washer. I use a torque wrench to tighten the bolt after I broke the previous bolt off in the countershaft (thus a new countershaft and hardware).

the spacer is the metal ring about 3/8" wide that sits about 1/8" into the seal on the case?

I was thinking maybe getting a little longer bolt and putting a lock washer between the big washer and the bolt, anyone done that?

BLACKeR
10-27-2006, 02:36 PM
i have never had an issue with that bolt coming out. i usually use blue loctite and tighten it in gear till the engine turns over a couple times. im suprised your having the trouble you are. more loctite might be the answer. you do need a good coating of it to fill in all the air gaps, that cause vibration and loosening to occure

deathman53
10-27-2006, 02:46 PM
I never have a problem of it loosening on my 3 250r motors, crf450r motor, and ktm 450. Check the sprockets, chain and alinement of chain, something isn't right there.

edz250r
10-27-2006, 05:55 PM
I used a lock washer on mine...problem solved.