PDA

View Full Version : anybody have a er that starts?

KrazyKeith
10-26-2006, 05:55 AM
I just wanna know how many others are having a problem w/ cold starts. My quad hasnt started on its own in a month. I adjusted valves ,rejetted and got nowhere. I have got the torpedo heater blowin on it right now to see if that help. I know the starter on these things are junk and all this crankin to start it is gonna mess that up too.

josh30917
10-26-2006, 07:04 AM
I glad to know that your only having a problem with cold starts. Mine has completley given up and wont start period. The starters are junk and everyone needs to complain to honda and maybe they will do something about it. Oh, never mind, they did do something about it. They put a sticker on the 07 er's throtle assembly that says "Do not give gas while starting". How about that, so all you guys buying 07er's are screwed when your starter goes out.

81built2hill81
10-26-2006, 07:13 AM
Well I Got An 06' Kick Start and its been low 40's to low 30's the last couple of weeks and i havent had any problems with mine starting. usually 1-2 kicks sometimes 5 max when its cold. you just got to kick it like you got a set. ha ha All i Have Done To Mine Is The HRC Kit. But my buddy has an 06 ER w/ trinity exhaust, pro design intake w/ K&N, a Hot Cam Stage Two, and it just came out of the shop. he just got his valves checked and the whole throttle arm recal thing and his starts perfect every time. sometimes he is waitin on me if mine dies when its hot or stalls. mine takes a few more kicks then but his has always started perfect. he has had no problems with starting it. but he doesnt touch the throttle when he starts it either. i know that has been a big thing with the 06's and 07's.

stumpleg
10-26-2006, 07:58 AM
I have an 06 e-start. It does take awhile when its cold, but I don't keep the starter button pushed in for to long. I usually pump the throttle twice, put the choke on, and hold the starter in for about 3-5 seconds. If it doesn't start, I usually wait about 15 seconds before I try again. Once it starts, I let it warm up for a bout 3-5 minutes. There also have been many times where I push the button and it starts instantly, just has its days.

I have had trouble with it stalling and it dieing, and wondered if it will ever start again, but just keep your patience and it should start up.

My starter has not given me any problems and have had 12 races on it this summer. Sure, I'm not the quickest off the line, but it hasn't let me down yet. I have a Dasa exhaust, HRC cam, no airbox lid, stock filter. I am running a 165 main and 45 pilot, and whatever the HRC specs are for the rest of the carb. (can't think of them off the top of my head). Hope this gives you a little better insight on everything.

danniheyj82888
10-26-2006, 09:33 AM
ive got an 06 er and have not once had a problem starting it. turn the choke on when its cold and it starts from 2-3 cranks.
*knock on wood*

4ABURN
10-26-2006, 10:24 AM
If mine sits for 2 or more weeks it some times is a little tricky, but other than that it starts like a champ. hot, very hot ,or cold. Love my er had it for 1 year know.(starter still works great,cross my fingers) I do ride in the woods alot and start and stop alot, looking at new trails and hills. anyway my 2 cents.
:D

Castor-426ex
10-26-2006, 10:26 AM
just a ?

does the 450er have the same electric starter as the 400??

Flodies400ex
10-26-2006, 10:59 AM
dang I havnt had any problems yet (nock on wood)

10-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Castor-426ex
just a ?

does the 450er have the same electric starter as the 400??

no

chris29
10-26-2006, 11:15 AM
I got an 07 450ER and its been fine it takes a few minutes to start in the cold but then it fires up no probelm. The only thing I hate is when it gets hot and I stall it in a race then I'm screwed it don't want to start for ****.

lumi
10-26-2006, 01:07 PM
my 06 450er starts fine never gave me a problem.. i love it actually! as long as you use choke and dont give it gas during start up!! also putting it in neutral helps sometimes. plus dont over heat the thing, 5 seconds only on the button if more your asking for trouble.. you what i think it is alot of people are misusing the e-start and more people have them than e-starts and thats why everyone thinks there a problem..

also if u do mods check the decomp clearance!!!!

thats a big rold in starting also your jetting for winter can change and make it hard to start. but thank god the quad has a choke!

good luck

-lumi

Dave400ex
10-26-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm with Chris29. It starts fine when it's cold, but if I kill it during a race the thing will just not restart when it's hot.

4ABURN
10-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
I'm with Chris29. It starts fine when it's cold, but if I kill it during a race the thing will just not restart when it's hot.

I wish I could help you guys with this one .but I'm not sure what your problem could be. I have stalled mine on a hot humid day with the fan running one a hill, pull in the clutch hit the button and it fires right UP.:huh (Sorry).

400exrider0004
10-26-2006, 09:11 PM
I with Chris29 and Dave400ex!!! it starts cold fine but when hot, it will not start for anything! Its a real pisser!!!

quadracer12
10-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider0004
I with Chris29 and Dave400ex!!! it starts cold fine but when hot, it will not start for anything! Its a real pisser!!!

are you guys going to neutral to start it? when mines hot i have to go to neutral. i guess there is just enough clutch dragg to keep it from starting. but it always start.

450ERRRRRR!
10-27-2006, 08:06 AM
I never had a problem with my e-start. Hope I never will. I have rejetted,no lid, k&n, and a slip on exhaust. I better go knock on wood.

lumi
10-27-2006, 08:10 AM
looks like the more modded 06 and 07 450er have a more problem starting. seems like the BIGGEST problem is when dropping in cams.

once you start doing mods, the decomp level and jetting can go a long way as to starting especially when hott. the only stock quads i have seen that dont start is that the starter is almost burned, or the valves need adjusting and the decomp level aswell. alot of people dont understand that that if you adjust your valve and not the decomp level its not gonna start the way you want it.

to you guys with modded quads, try to get the jetting down right and check those valves and decomp., the more power , the more wear and tear and more valve adjustment that will have to be made and decomp. btw dropping a hc2 in a 06 or 07 er you will have to increase your compression by about 20 psi so you can start it, that means a bigger clearance on the decomp.

just some info.

-lumi

lumi
10-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by 450ERRRRRR!
I never had a problem with my e-start. Hope I never will. I have rejetted,no lid, k&n, and a slip on exhaust. I better go knock on wood.

is that your daughter? or is that the owner

sorry for mix up if so.

-lumi

jtjpilot
10-27-2006, 09:10 AM
I had problems with mine when it was stock but since putting a slip on, jetting and bumping up the idle JUST A "C HAIR" it starts fine at any time and temp.

RedRacer44
10-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey KrazyKeith....as lumi said you will have to re-adjust your decompression level when using the Stage2 HotCam...

I had the Stage2 HotCam in my '06 ER and it wouldnt start in cold weather at all. We tinkered with jetting and no luck.....finally we re-set the decompression level and it starts fine now.

Have Honda or another mechanic reset your decompression....I think we had mine at 30 thousandths where as on like the HRC you set it to like 24 thousandths. Just do that and it should start just fine, mine did....

Dave400ex
10-27-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure what the problem is with mine. I know it's not the cam, it was just as bad when it was stock. I had the starter clutch and idler gear replaced, I just wonder if the sprag wasn't messed up.

RedRacer44
10-27-2006, 01:16 PM
What we are encountering (I work at a Honda shop) is that any cam besides the 06 HRC cam is causing starting issues of some sort....

The only other cam that has been pretty reliable as far as starting without much adjustment like the HRC is the 02 CRF cam which works really well in the 06 TRX...

Thats just what we've encountered...

roundsy
10-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by danniheyj82888
ive got an 06 er and have not once had a problem starting it. turn the choke on when its cold and it starts from 2-3 cranks.
*knock on wood*

1fst400
10-27-2006, 03:21 PM
my budies bone stock motor 06 er will not start. LOL. wont start on the electric starter for crap. Has done it scence the 3rd week he had it. He has brought it to the dealer 3 times and with no luck, They say it has to break in still. He has probly 40 hours on the thing.

450rJam
10-27-2006, 03:21 PM
mine starts good when cold but if it gets hot it takes a few extra cranks.

CHEVYZ
10-27-2006, 03:39 PM
I have never had any problems with mine. When the bike was new I had a problem with the bike killing alot. Since I installed the HRC kit it is just the easiest bike on the planet to start and run, I never have any problems starting or stalling it. Hot or cold a quick touch on the starter has it fired up.

I will admit that I destroyed the spring on the decompression mechanism once though. That was entirely my fault, though, as I was frequently using the gas to start it..... damn 400EX is to blame since after 7 years I just did it without even thinking. It is all good, now, though.

On another note, I (personally) have found that the Hotcams tend to affect starting a great deal. Maybe it is just my experiences, but after installing a one in my 05 it became quite hard to start, especially when cold. I have tried quite a few different cams, and so far it has been the only one to give me problems.

450r517
10-27-2006, 05:36 PM
OK now Im a dummy. I have had my 06 450r for almost a year now. It is electric start, and I have had no problems with it starting, except for hot pursuit in a race if it stalls.(just gotta be a little patient, and dont get to excited) I have an HRC kit in it also. What and where is the decompression lever ? I have not actually heard of this before. Is it the wires coming from the throttle assembly? If it is not what are those wires for ? thanks.......

CHEVYZ
10-27-2006, 05:45 PM
It is on the cam. The spring I was referring to is a cheap spring which shouldn't even be put on a quad LOL. It can be broken just by using the gas to start it.

CHEVYZ
10-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by 450r517
OK now Im a dummy. I have had my 06 450r for almost a year now. It is electric start, and I have had no problems with it starting, except for hot pursuit in a race if it stalls.(just gotta be a little patient, and dont get to excited) I have an HRC kit in it also. What and where is the decompression lever ? I have not actually heard of this before. Is it the wires coming from the throttle assembly? If it is not what are those wires for ? thanks....... I am not 100% on the wires, but I think those relate to some type of throttle position sensor. Some electronic crap that relates to the CDI. Can anyone shed some light about it???

450r517
10-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks, I was kind of worried.....I had my throttle assembly apart today, and actually took all the wires and the assembly apart to do some work. I didnt wont to mess up something in there, not knowing what it was. I put it all back as it came out, but have a race tomorrow and dont want a dumb mistake on my part. LOL.. I was kind of worried because of the tolerances I saw you all talking about. Thanks man.

Nate_450R
10-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Same here...when its cold, choke it and 2-3 kicks and its running like a chmp. but yeah when its cold and it stalls i have to kick like hell to get it going again. but once it cools down its no problem again. just thought id throw that out there.

KrazyKeith
10-29-2006, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by RedRacer44
Hey KrazyKeith....as lumi said you will have to re-adjust your decompression level when using the Stage2 HotCam...

I had the Stage2 HotCam in my '06 ER and it wouldnt start in cold weather at all. We tinkered with jetting and no luck.....finally we re-set the decompression level and it starts fine now.

Have Honda or another mechanic reset your decompression....I think we had mine at 30 thousandths where as on like the HRC you set it to like 24 thousandths. Just do that and it should start just fine, mine did....
thanks for the suggestion I'll be sure to give that a try. I left the decomp. the same when I changed the cam and it worked fine for 6 months just lately when its been gettin cold is where the problem is but I will definatly try to readjust it and I'll let you know how I made out.

rollie
10-29-2006, 05:41 AM
i hope my 07 wont have starting problems when i pick it up...i plan on putting a kick on it anyway though, haha

Dave400ex
10-29-2006, 09:04 AM
I think I might look into selling mine and getting a 07 kicker and switching my parts over.

adinocr7
10-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by stumpleg
I have an 06 e-start. It does take awhile when its cold, but I don't keep the starter button pushed in for to long. I usually pump the throttle twice, put the choke on, and hold the starter in for about 3-5 seconds. If it doesn't start, I usually wait about 15 seconds before I try again. Once it starts, I let it warm up for a bout 3-5 minutes. There also have been many times where I push the button and it starts instantly, just has its days.

Well said. I'm getting a little tired of hearing everyone wine about their electric start. Guys, these are "race ready" machines. They're not 300 cc trail bikes. And if you're not familiar with Honda . . . well they're not exactly the easiest things to start. Whether its a Lawn Mower, Generator or whatever kind of machine with a Honda Engine. They simply are a little trickier to start (especially when its cold).

If you want something that starts right up every time then sell your quad and go buy a Cadillac. :macho

Mine always takes 4 - 5 tries when its cold. But I pump the throttle a few times, let off and hold the start button for a few seconds. Usually by the 4th or 5th try shes good to go. I take the choke off after about a minute (or when the idle starts getting really high) and shes good to go.

KrazyKeith
10-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
I think I might look into selling mine and getting a 07 kicker and switching my parts over.

Good idea, probly be the best bet for us guys that want to mod our bikes.

gotem450r
10-30-2006, 06:51 PM
i turned my throtle up and it has seemed to help also if you pump the the starter switch not starting it but just getting the starter in the right position pump the starter buttom 3x's and then start it that will work. or if you have the mony put a kick start on it so you have both.

atvwdsrcer
10-31-2006, 10:23 AM
I installed a kick on mine and now that is the only way it will start. It will not start with the electric at all, I can kick it once or twice and it fires right up. This tells me that honda needs to install a faster spinning starter in order to get rid of all these complaints. I'm getting ready to remove my e-starter all together, it has been binding up sometimes when I kick( probably from using both kick and electric at the same time). Anyone thinking about modding to the kickstart, you will not be disappointed ,well except for the fact that you bought an electric start and had to spend alot more money to make a kicker which you didnt want to begin with. Honda needs to address this problem. This should start like the 400ex. starting and starting fast are 2 different things, this is supposed to be a race quad which most people use for the woods. This happens to be a dead engine start where a good start is crucial. So if your just trail riding fine maybe you dont have a problem, but for us racers there is a huge proplem with this quads starting.

rollie
10-31-2006, 12:56 PM
Does anyone know if honda fixed this problem for 2007? i hope so

atvwdsrcer
10-31-2006, 01:07 PM
unfortunately honda has not fixed this problem ( possibly from all these people that supposedly arent having a problem) To me if it doesn't start instantly like my old 400ex did then there is a huge problem. My will start every time (with the kicker) but this is not what I expected when I spent my hard earned money.

450rJam
10-31-2006, 03:14 PM
there is a reason they have the option of a kicker or e start.

If I was going to dead start race there is no way I would get the e start, but I just play around with mine and its one hell of a toy.

md1985250r
10-31-2006, 04:46 PM
In my opinion it does not matter e start or kicker. I have had times where mine was difficult to start and other times it started with ease. Just this past weekend at the AGP in LITTLE EGG HARBOR I left at least 2 or 3 kickers sitting on the line,wasting time and energy kicking . It just depends . And for the record , there was a couple yamahas sitting there too!!

lumi
10-31-2006, 09:08 PM
yea good for clearning that a bit up ^^^.

does not matter what brand, yammie suzuki or w.e. high compression motors and such hi-tech engines like these takes some power to push over. its not like a 400ex.

and you only make life harder as i explained 1000 times, by holding the starter for too long and giving it gas and not using choke.

honda knows already its mostly user error! not a recall.

-lumi

1fst400
10-31-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by lumi
[B

does not matter what brand, yammie suzuki or w.e. high compression motors and such hi-tech engines like these takes some power to push over. its not like a 400ex.

-lumi [/B]

The 04 yfz that sits in my garage (not mine but my budies) starts just fine. Imo there is a mistake in hondas design if a yamaha yfz can start with an electric motor with ease.

KrazyKeith
11-01-2006, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by 1fst400
The 04 yfz that sits in my garage (not mine but my budies) starts just fine. Imo there is a mistake in hondas design if a yamaha yfz can start with an electric motor with ease. I agree Honda fell short with the ER no questions asked. I'm sorry Lumi but I do not agree with mostly user error. Some yes, but not mostly and the starter should be designed for monkeys to start without trashin things. The starter is JUNK thats the way it is The first day I owned my ER I knew I was gonna have problems startin it. I could just tell by the way it spun over. I met a guy while riding on Sunday with a 07 and he was having problems starting a 2 week old machine.

lumi
11-01-2006, 06:52 AM
A 1 month month old 2006 yfz i own doesnt start for its life in my garage any answers to this??? so im guessing honda makes yamaha starters aswell. go on yfz central and search for starter topic problems! you guys will be amazed and think honda makes there startes aswell.

there reason behind all this, if there really was a problem honda would def know of it especially after all the calls to them about the starters. they continually check everything over and over before after the machines are sold. thats why the lower throttle arm recall has happened they noticed that it can become bent out of shape from pounding.

and a 05 my brother owns it takes about a good 4 seconds before it lights up.

so where exactly are you guys getting your info from.

as you can tell there is alot more people happy with there starters than unhappy.

and the only reason alot of this happens is because people who dont know how to use the starter, adjust the decomp, and jetting corectly end up with a e-start. a 450r will never start like a lazy 400ex. if the 450r starter was in a 400ex it would push the piston out the head.

you ask any guys across the country about starters on the er that work at dealers/ they will tell you wore and burnt starters! thats all that comes in for er's. i have replaced some for my freinds aswell and all from user error.

just my info and 0.2 cents.

-lumi

Dave400ex
11-01-2006, 12:18 PM
This could go on forever, but the simple thing is, they just don't start. I agree Honda came up short on the e-start. They better fix it.

I'm so fed up with mine I called the dealership on Monday and told them to find/order me a 07 kicker.