PDA

View Full Version : 400ex or 450r

Mechanixx
10-25-2006, 11:37 PM
Ok need some opinions.I have a 2005 400ex mods are in the sig.Ive been riding about a year and half now this is my first quad I always rode dirtbikes at 36 Im giving those up LOL.My question is im thinking about moving up to a 450r from the 400.I ride alot of trails,hill climbs plan on doing some dune riding once in awhile.Is the 450r something I might wana move up to or stick with the 400?I wana get some more power for the hill climing I do. The mods Ive made to my 400 have done wonders but Im still looking for alittle more :devil: I understand the 450r is a race bike thats why im asking this question to you all Im just wondering if it is a good trail and all around quad also?

pudamac12
10-25-2006, 11:50 PM
honestly if your not going to race I don't think it is worth the money you will lose to sell the 400 and get a 450. Get yourself a cam and maybe have the head ported and a rev box and you will have enough power if you gear for it. Also to make it handle better you could look into aftermarket suspension or try the 450r front shocks with a rebuild revalve from one of the rebuild companies who know how to modify the shocks to fit the 400. I miss my 400 when i go trail riding for how comfortable it is in comparison to the 450r.

10-26-2006, 05:20 AM
i have both..the 450r is a very capable trail bike, but it likes to rev high and takes a slightly different style of clutch/throttle usage. it needs to rev a lot higher than my ex. my guess is that you should be ok coming off of dirt bikes. although i have been riding a clutched atv for over 10 years, i still manage to stall this one a few times on every ride, it is that much differnt and likes to rev that much higher

unfortunately, i have yet to climb a major hill with the 450r. since the 450r likes to rev so high and not be luggeda round, this may come into play on a severe hill where you are going around or over things like trees, logs, etc.

there are times when i wish i had the 400ex over the 450r, but those are few and far between.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/IDMMX-goodvsevil.JPG

450raider
10-26-2006, 08:39 AM
id say if you do get an r, get an 06/07 model for the recreation riding because the 04/05 gearing and power and stuff isnt exactly what you would call "sunday riding material".

just my thoughts

CHEVYZ
10-26-2006, 03:08 PM
I have both, and would take the R over the EX in a heartbeat... for any kind of riding, really. Especially for hillclimbs, I much prefer my R. The power comes in on an entirely different level, and it just keeps on pulling whereas my EX seems to hit a spot in the power band where it just stops during hillclimbs. Now, for lugging around, the EX is much better, but when I am riding I am always on the move. The EX has its benefits, no doubt. It is "easier" to ride, and is much more comfortable, not to mention is nearly maintainance free. However, for overall handling and power, I think that my 450r out does the EX by quite a bit.

Also, as said, if you plan on getting a 450, get a newer model one. You would be much more happy for your riding style!

mymastifftucker
10-27-2006, 08:56 AM
I just sold my 400ex and bought a 07 450er. It had a hotcam, full HMF exhasut, jetted, K+N filter with no lid and so on......If you want to putt around on trails, keep the 400ex, its bulletproof, but if you want to attack the trails the 450r will make your hair stand on end. By the time you put suspension under the ex and work the engine to make more power, you might as well buy a 450r and have it work the way "big red" intended it to. Thats just my opionion!!

450rJam
10-27-2006, 03:38 PM
well said,

I agree, the ex is great for slow trail rides or putting around with the kids.

the R is so superior that you cant really compair them power wise.
an R with hrc will kill a highly modded ex in every possible way.

Gumby46
10-28-2006, 04:20 AM
The ONLY reason not to upgrade would be the cost in doing so. The 450R will outperform in every area.