PDA

View Full Version : Stereo stuff in a jeep

Rico400
10-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Well imma stick some stereo stuff in my jeep. Ive got my actual stereo right now that u just need to install, and ive got a pretty nice soundbar that attaches to the top of my wrangler that attches to the roll cage. So i got enough mid-high, but i want some more bass.....So im thinking imma put in 2 12's in the back of the jeep. Ive looked at acouple of boxes and they are about 12-13 inches wide... which is a little to big.....

So i was wondering if i made a box that was big enough for the subs to fit in it, but just made it taller so i could get that 2 cubic ft i need for 2 12's would that work or no?

If that is confusing what im basically doing is making a box taller and skinnier so it will fit. But i know nothing about sub's and stuff so im not sure if this will work.

pelphrey
10-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Since your worried about the space, which actually you may not be worried the jeep just doesn't have the space for much. I would look for a 10'' woofer in a vented box. NOT a ported box, a vented box. The vent box sounds much better then a sealed box (Thats my opinion, I work in a car stereo shop).

This is a vented box:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/pelphrey01/xep10.jpg

I would try to get a dual voice coil woofer also and wire it down to 2ohms bridged on the amp. I say 2 ohms because MOST amps will do 2 ohms bridged.

However a single voice coil woofer with a decent amount will sound fine.

Hope that helps...

1fst400
10-26-2006, 07:25 AM
I had some 12" subs in my jeep. I got them off ebay. they where kinda a PITA, always woried about geting them wet and sutff. I ended up giving them away to a member on the site.

Scro
10-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by pelphrey
Since your worried about the space, which actually you may not be worried the jeep just doesn't have the space for much. I would look for a 10'' woofer in a vented box. NOT a ported box, a vented box. The vent box sounds much better then a sealed box (Thats my opinion, I work in a car stereo shop).

What's the difference between a vented and ported? I never knew there was a difference.

pelphrey
10-26-2006, 08:19 AM
If you look at the picture that I posted above you will see the inside of the vented box. It travels through that chamber and then comes out of the box.

A ported box simply pushes air straight out of the box.

You wouldn't think that the vented would make a huge difference, but next time your close to a car stereo shop stop and take a look..

rbgnwa45
10-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Ported, vented, I thought these were the same thing also (as in, air will be pushed outside the box). The picture you showed I would call a slot port, but hey, you work in an audio shop; that's sweet!

elbine69
10-26-2006, 03:07 PM
If you want to make your own box, there is a calculator that you put all your info about the subs in and it will tell you the proper size box to build so they will sound the best. It may seem complicated but it tells you how to use it. heres te link if your interested http://www.s10forum.com/how_to_design_an_enclosure_for_your_subwoofer

Rico400
10-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by elbine69
If you want to make your own box, there is a calculator that you put all your info about the subs in and it will tell you the proper size box to build so they will sound the best. It may seem complicated but it tells you how to use it. heres te link if your interested http://www.s10forum.com/how_to_design_an_enclosure_for_your_subwoofer

looks like a cool program, ill have to go to a friends house that has excel to try it out. Hopefully i can find some already made plans for boxes that have been made for trunks of jeeps and then just copy it

Rico400
10-26-2006, 04:39 PM
well im out in my garage right now measuring the area i got to put in a box.

Its 10 inches in depth at the bottom
Its 35 inches in width

Its 17 inches tall and its 8 inches in depth at the top(to the bottom of the body)

But i can go upto 25 inches tall and its 6.5 Inches in depth at that high.(top of the seat)

what do u guys think would be the best box for this area/ Whats the biggest subs you would put in this area.

ALSO do they have like marine type of subwoofers? This is wrangler and there is a chance that water might get back there from like a leak or something. The jeep is only acouple years old and i dont expect a leak, but you never know.

fandl450r
10-27-2006, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by pelphrey

This is a vented box:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/pelphrey01/xep10.jpg

I would try to get a dual voice coil woofer also and wire it down to 2ohms bridged on the amp. I say 2 ohms because MOST amps will do 2 ohms bridged.

However a single voice coil woofer with a decent amount will sound fine.

Hope that helps...

Kind of curious as to what you mean by this? Unless you are referring to a bandpass style enclosure, you either go sealed or "vented" aka ported.

http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/education/enclosures/main.htm

Lonestar_R
10-27-2006, 06:39 PM
I always had better luck with a sealed box that was shallow thinner...I have built a ton of boxes and tried alot of stuff.....

As for whoever is saying a ported and vented box is different...all I can say is HUH?

that picture of that box, the only reason the port/vent turns the corner of the box is that the box isn't deep enough to get that length of port/vent in it......that will give you your tuning frequency...the shorter the higher the frequency gets.....

I never worked in a car audio shop but I have been around it enough to know.....have you ever seen twelve 12's in a Cavalier Z24.....I did it....or six 15's in a cavalier coupe.....been there......or two 18's in a Dodge Shadow with a port/vent big enough to sit in with 8 Crossfire Amps and 10 batteries doing a 163 db's.....did that too...and qualified for the DB Drag Racing World Finals that year

Not to sound like a know it all but, I think I know what I'm talking about

Anyway.....when building a box you have to figure out how much room you will have and then figure what will fit...its just that simple......or just make what you have fit....