PDA

View Full Version : header only

09-08-2002, 12:53 PM
i recently took my stock pipe of my quad leavin only the header. it sounds awesome and its much faster. i was wonderin if it will hurt my engine if i dont rejet it and wat do u think noise level is compared to the t4(want to get some thin wit the same power with les noise)

tprender
09-08-2002, 01:36 PM
I am guessing from what you wrote that you took off the stock muffler and are just running the header only. Yes it will be faster, but it will be very, very loud. If you put on just about any after market exhaust it will run just about the same and be much, much quieter. And yes it will hurt the engine if you don't rejet, you now have less back pressure.

Houser Cannondale
09-08-2002, 02:43 PM
it can also burn up your exhaust valves because it has way too much more flow than it needs. you'll have less torque too

bansheeguy77
09-08-2002, 03:05 PM
yes it will definately screw up ur motor....theres like no backpressure it will mess up your valves and all that good expesive stuff. it does sound cool though but its way to loud u just look like a moron to most ppl...get an aftermarket system and it will sound much better and be safe...

Houser Cannondale
09-08-2002, 03:16 PM
exactly. if you want something loud and still have a muffler buy a dg or a cobra

Houser Cannondale
09-08-2002, 04:05 PM
what kind of bike do you have?

09-08-2002, 06:53 PM
i have a stack 400ex but i only had it off for 15 min. would that hurt it

Houser Cannondale
09-08-2002, 08:09 PM
it wont hurt it for that short period of time but if you run it for an extended peroid of time it will tear up plus it doesent sound that great.. too loud you actually lose power.. it doesent make more power it just feels faster because of all the noise.

BigThumper33
09-08-2002, 09:31 PM
Actually on a 4 stroke you don't want back pressure. A 2 stroke needs the backpressure to help force the new charge of air/fuel mixture into the cylinder. Ever notice that drag cars only run open headers? The harm that will be done to your motor will be that with basically no restriction your motor will run lean. That is why it burns valves. Rejet it and it will be fine. I dont recommend it because it is real cheesy and all your doing is causing noise pollution. Don't