PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help with my computer problem??

TheFontMaster
10-25-2006, 05:35 PM
Ok well it seems that whenever I go to do a search the page that I was on freezes. If I'm on google, or yahoo or something and looking up anything the computer freezes, even sometimes when I go to do a search here on this site. So then I need to X out of the page. It still lets me do a search, but sometimes I still need to go back to that page 5 or 6 times before it works. The computer is brand new, and the only things I have downloaded are AIM, and Yahoo messanger, and then a couple CD's that came with the cable modem and router. I am using a wireless internet connection. I am running the wireless router and modem in my room, and then my 2 housemates also have thier laptops that run off of the same wireless system, and they dont have any trouble.

zeppelin
10-25-2006, 05:39 PM
so you can browse through the forums with now problem? its just when you click into a search box huh? thats weird, does it happen when you click into the box to enter your username, or other things like that or is it only on google or yahoo and stuff?

my best guess would have to be spyware, try running adaware or another good scanner and see if it picks anything up. thats what i would do first atleast, if that doesnt help, let me know, i have a few other ideas...

TheFontMaster
10-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Yea I can brouse the forums, myspace, ebay, etc no problem. 9 times out of 10 it just freezes when I go to a search. Where do I get adware? Can I just download that?

zeppelin
10-25-2006, 05:49 PM
ad-aware is free from lavasoft, you can just download it form their site.

orca0294
10-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin
so you can browse through the forums with now problem? its just when you click into a search box huh? thats weird, does it happen when you click into the box to enter your username, or other things like that or is it only on google or yahoo and stuff?

my best guess would have to be spyware, try running adaware or another good scanner and see if it picks anything up. thats what i would do first atleast, if that doesnt help, let me know, i have a few other ideas...
I've never had a problem like this but as he stated run a spyware/adware scan and also a virus scan. A good way to get rid of most of your spyware if you do not have a program and if your in internet explorer go to tools --> internet options --> delete cookies because many if not most of your spyware will be in cookies. You could also try a system restore and restore it before you think this problem was brought about. if this does not work and for anyone with computer problems go to computerforum.com theres thousands of people over there and someone has most likely had similar problems as you have experienced. Also, a good thing to do every few months is reinstall windows or your operating system. It is not necessary of course but it will help your computer performence.

If you do not have a spyware/adware scan and don't want to buy one heres a link -- http://www.download.com/Best-free-security-and-spyware-software/1200-2023_4-5163183.html?tag=more

TheFontMaster
10-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Ok I downloaded one of the adwares from that link, and it didn't work. I did the cookies thing, and its still doing the same thing. This still seems kinda wierd to me since this computer than I'm on is brand new. I've had it for about 4 weeks, and I think it always did that thing with the search too. I'll post my problem over on computer forum.com and see what they have to say about it too.

zeppelin
10-25-2006, 06:13 PM
have you ever thought about running firefox?

i have heard its what bill gates actualy uses lol.

if you dont mind switching to a new browser to get rid of the problem id check it out.

TheFontMaster
10-25-2006, 06:19 PM
What is firefox? If it hasn't become obvious I know much about computers. Hell it's a miracle I got this far with it haha.

orca0294
10-25-2006, 06:22 PM
firefox is another browser just like internet explorer just not as commonly used.. computerforum.com should help you out much better than over here.

cdrookie
10-25-2006, 07:51 PM
never thought i'd be responding to a computer problem...
but, sounds like a internet explorer problem. either download another version of IE or a different one like firefox or opera9(which is what i now use). i've had all kinds of problems with IE and took me 2 years and a couple hundred $$$ to figure out why my old pos desktop wouldn't work correctly, even had it looked at a few times by the "pros", nobody knew what was wrong. turned out to be IE.

10-26-2006, 07:26 AM
Do you have popup blockers enabled? Try another browser, such as netscape. Go here and click on the download:
http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/

After it's done downloading, click on the file and it will run the installation program.

TheFontMaster
10-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Well I downloaded firefox, and that fixed my problem. Thanks guys.