PDA

View Full Version : Changing Brake Pads?

400eXr1d3rZ
10-25-2006, 05:33 PM
I've only done this once and I'm not sure if I can do it again, I don't want to mess with the brake assembly and screw it up. So how do I change the rear + front brake pads?

miller821
10-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Were do I begin :eek: I'll try and explain this briefly but to the point...

Rear:

First, unbolt the whole caliper, 2 bolts hold it on size 12mm maybe. Their is one at the very top, and on below the caliper. After you take that off, get the caliper off the rotor and you should see two bolts holding on the pads. Just unbolt those and pull them out, and out come the pads. Next you need to get a C-Clamp and clamp the piston back down to were it is even with the inside of the caliper. After that make sure to just line up the pads and put a screwdriver in between em to keep them gapped. Replace the two bolts holding pads and put on rotor. Then put the two holding it on the rotor in and your set. Front are pretty much the same.

smitht316
10-25-2006, 06:46 PM
i believe you have to turn the rear calipers in not just press them in, correct me if im wrong

miller821
10-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by smitht316
i believe you have to turn the rear calipers in not just press them in, correct me if im wrong

I always use a C-Clamp on mine, but you may be correct i'm not sure.

svahle
10-25-2006, 08:02 PM
Replaced my rears in last month. Just pressed piston in with a C-clamp. No problems.

Sometimes it is easier to press the piston back into the caliper if you remove the reservoir cap.

JOEX
10-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Make sure the shim is in place.

It's a piece of metal that clips onto the back side of the pad that is against the caliper piston. It's on the rear for sure but I don't remember if it's on the fronts.

In my experience if it's not there the pads will wear unevenly and prematurely.

I've only used a c-clamp as well to push the piston back. If the parking break assembly is still in place it may or may not need backed off.

rooster_20
10-25-2006, 09:10 PM
Yea you do have to back the parking brake out because I didnt and put new brakes on. Then when I reinstalled the parking brake bolts it broke in half. Needless to say I took the parking brake off.

miller821
10-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by rooster_20
Needless to say I took the parking brake off.

Thats always a good thing that most people always do. And if you haven't already taken it off it might be something to look into doing.

svahle
10-26-2006, 06:30 AM
This may be stating the obvious, but if you remove the parking brake, make sure you install a parking brake block off cover. Otherwise dirt and grim will cause the piston pin O-ring to fail and leak brake fluid from the back of the caliper around the piston pin.