PDA

View Full Version : Tusk clutch kit?

93warriorRidr
10-25-2006, 03:01 PM
I saw this clutch on rockymountainatv and it's real cheap. Has anyone used one and are they any good? Please don't tell me they're junk if you've never used them, I just need a clutch that's going to last a long time but I don't want to spend a hundred bucks on the barnett. I've heard the EBC is a good clutch too.

ZSK
10-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Go with an OEM clutch, it is the best quality you will get. Tusk is junk, I got about 12 hours out of mine.

93warriorRidr
10-25-2006, 05:49 PM
maybe i'll just go with the ebc clutch. rather spend the extra 20 dollars then have to do it over again.
thanks for the advice.
ben.

11-01-2006, 06:48 AM
I never heard a bad thing about tusk. I have the clutch kit and so far so good. It made the power feel a littler differnt like claimed too.

ZSK
11-01-2006, 08:11 AM
You've never heard anything bad about tusk clutches? Can you read? After 12 hours the fibers were completely gone, I changed my oil after 5 hours of use and the drain hole was plugged with clutch particles. The only good thing about the kits are the stiffer springs they come with. I called rocky mountain to see if they'd back it up and they declined it very quickly because I "abused" the product. I had two races and a couple trail rides on it.

Check your steels, basket, pressure plate, and center hub for wear, if they're in spec, replace your fibers with OEM.

dork
11-01-2006, 09:14 AM
go with oem. the ebc's aren't much better than tusk. ebc lasted 6 months on my yz400f. the cheaper kits may be ok on a low power beater, but they won't last or perform like oem.

11-01-2006, 10:26 AM
I gess tusk must have gave me a special clutch then cause its holding up perfect.:rolleyes:

Go over to TT. They will tell you nothing bad about the clutches.

Tusk dont make the clutch. They buy them from a differant company like barnet or were ever and then tusk sells them cheeper and put it in a tusk package.

Toadz400
11-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by slow
I gess tusk must have gave me a special clutch then cause its holding up perfect.:rolleyes:

Go over to TT. They will tell you nothing bad about the clutches.

Tusk dont make the clutch. They buy them from a differant company like barnet or were ever and then tusk sells them cheeper and put it in a tusk package.

That's why we recommend OEM.

NacsMXer
11-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by 93warriorRidr
maybe i'll just go with the ebc clutch. rather spend the extra 20 dollars then have to do it over again.
thanks for the advice.
ben.

If there's one valuable thing i've learned in life, it's to always spend the extra cash and do things right the 1st time......you'll be kicking yourself when you buy a cheap clutch and it craps out on ya.

Do yourself a favor and install OEM components ;)

NY06400EX
11-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
If there's one valuable thing i've learned in life, it's to always spend the extra cash and do things right the 1st time......you'll be kicking yourself when you buy a cheap clutch and it craps out on ya.

Do yourself a favor and install OEM components ;)

Not to bust balls but I happen to disagree - spending more money does not always result in the better product or a superior product. I have spent lots of money on different mods for all sorts of vehicles and in some cases I have found that a less expensive part from one manufacturer compared to a more expensive part from a different manufacturer was superior in both build quality and performance. Just my .02...

NacsMXer
11-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by NY06400EX
Not to bust balls but I happen to disagree - spending more money does not always result in the better product or a superior product. I have spent lots of money on different mods for all sorts of vehicles and in some cases I have found that a less expensive part from one manufacturer compared to a more expensive part from a different manufacturer was superior in both build quality and performance. Just my .02...

This is true...higher cost isn't always indicative of quality.
sorry if my post wasn't clear. I was pointing out that sometimes it is better to spend more money in order to do things right rather than cheap out on stuff that may fail earlier. In the case of clutch plates, OEM is more expensive, but it is better to pay a little more since it lasts longer.