PDA

View Full Version : Skis for the EX?

krt400ex
10-25-2006, 02:49 PM
does anybody know where i can get a front ski conversion kit for my 400ex for winter riding?? thanks

TANNER250r
10-25-2006, 05:07 PM
i wanted to do that but i would want to get a kit i i did not see any way to do plus i ride in the winter more than the summer

1fst400
10-25-2006, 05:27 PM
there where some on ebay a while ago. they just bolt from your hub to skis that you had to provide.

there is also some pics on atvriders somewhere of a black 450r with skis on the front and paddle tires out back with a cupple snomobile studs in them.

I think im going to do somthing to my quad this winter.

krt400ex
10-26-2006, 07:25 AM
i searched ebay for them, but couldn't find anything...hmmm i guess i'll look again

1fst400
10-26-2006, 07:33 AM
thomps6s had a set for his quad. the link is
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=198488

but for some reason all the pics where gone and its just little boxes with an x.

infantry317
10-26-2006, 07:41 AM
Don't waste your time and $ on this...My friend did this last year on his YFZ. He made his own, they looked awesome, Arctic Cat skis with aluminum brackets, these looked like a full production unit. The skis worked well until the rear end gets hung up in anything that would normally stop your quad if you all four wheels on.

Just warning you, good luck :ermm:

44oEX
10-26-2006, 07:50 AM
I was thinking about skis for the front, I already have 4snow's on the back...but then I got thinking, that with skis you loose your front brakes...and if you think about it, your rear brakes don't do much for stoppin you, espetialy in the snow...so I sort of gave up on skis, tires are way safer I would think.

I was also thinking about running some sand starts with the double rid design...it would probably steer great, but then again, how good would it brake...when your doing 60+ in a trail and meet a sled doing the same if not faster...brakes are NICE.

infantry317
10-26-2006, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by 44oEX
I was thinking about skis for the front, I already have 4snow's on the back...but then I got thinking, that with skis you loose your front brakes...and if you think about it, your rear brakes don't do much for stoppin you, espetialy in the snow...so I sort of gave up on skis, tires are way safer I would think.

I was also thinking about running some sand starts with the double rid design...it would probably steer great, but then again, how good would it brake...when your doing 60+ in a trail and meet a sled doing the same if not faster...brakes are NICE.

Another good point, my friend said braking sucked.

krt400ex
10-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by 44oEX

ya, but i don't go 60+ in the snow, and i don't use my brakes in the snow anyway. i just let the engine slow me down. i wanted them more cuz they will handle alot better than tires would.

1fst400
10-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Last winter my quad lived outside some nights. My brakes where freezing up from ice and snow being packed in the calipers. I ended up being doun to 1 front brake one ride. lol. It wasent to bad, just engine braked. but I ran into a dump trailer that was parked at my house. I bent my stabilizer, and top tube on my prm bumper.

IMO, snomobiles are for snow, quad are for dirt or ice.

stud them tires up and hit the lake, more fun than overheating your quad geting stuck in snow banks.

Toadz400
10-27-2006, 12:22 AM
If you could get those track kits for your EX along with the ski's that'd be the best for riding in the snow. Braking wouldn't be an issue with the tracks as that would obviously get enough traction to slow you down.

Personally, I think if you have the money to waste a Banshee would be ideal with ski's and a track system but otherwise snow belongs to the snowmobiles. Ice is a whole different story though...

CDALEMX301
10-27-2006, 10:19 AM
check out www.gabrielracing.com its a shop in my town and I know that they carry them...

krt400ex
10-27-2006, 11:21 AM
thanks^^^

SWIGIN
10-27-2006, 11:42 AM
i had a set of skis for my quad racer back in the 90s and they worked real good.

after i sold that bike i made them fit my 250x that had a built 350x motor and they still worked better then tires but not as good as on the 2 stroke....i still have them come to think of it.

my skis were built to replace the hub, they bolted on ware the hub used to go and the caliper mounts were used to keep them from rotating.