PDA

View Full Version : Namura Pistons?

duey
10-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Anyone used these pistons? Looking for some input. I have an '03 400ex with stock bore. The place I get my pistons sells Wiseco and Namura. The catch is that the wiseco pistons start at 86mm (.40) overbore. I can get the namura pistons in 85.5mm(.20) over or 85.75mm (.30) over. I am putting in 11:1 compression piston but it only "needs" a .20 over piston. Thanks.

flattrack440ex
10-25-2006, 03:29 PM
i run a namura piston i really like it. the motor droped a valve once on my first one and instead of the piston shattering it only punched a hole in the top of the piston. this saved me a ton of money b/c there was only 1 scartch in the cylinder wall. i am very happy with the outcome and would highly recomend them. they also have very large oiling holes too so there is very good lubrication. i would say go for the namura

GPracer2500
10-25-2006, 04:05 PM
My main concern with a Namura would be confirming if their 400EX pistons are forged or cast. Many of their pistons are cast and I wouldn't want that in a 400EX.

duey
10-26-2006, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
My main concern with a Namura would be confirming if their 400EX pistons are forged or cast. Many of their pistons are cast and I wouldn't want that in a 400EX.

Thanks. Good point. I think I am going to try to find a JE piston. I believe they offer a .20 over piston w/ 11:1 compression. I could get the wiseco but I don't see a good enough reason to waist 2 bore sizes. I wouldn't think a .40 over piston would offer that much more power vs. a .20 over. I wonder why wiseco doesn't offer smaller first size over pistons for the 400ex?

Def-e-nition
10-26-2006, 04:59 AM
Gp racer - you have mail . whats up .

Are 400 ex Pistons standard , Forged ?

flauge
10-26-2006, 08:14 AM
Where can you get a forged namura piston anyway? Most of the ones are cast i beileive..
Id like to try em tho, the thermal coated skirts is what catch my eye. Seems like that would help keep friction and heat down a lil bit..:cool:

duey
10-26-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by flauge
Where can you get a forged namura piston anyway? Most of the ones are cast i beileive..
Id like to try em tho, the thermal coated skirts is what catch my eye. Seems like that would help keep friction and heat down a lil bit..:cool:

The thermal coating is what caught my eye too, along with the price, but I didn't know there was a choice between cast and forged. I had a wiseco piston with thermal coating from LRD in my last 400ex and I really liked it. Held up well.

dariusld
10-26-2006, 06:18 PM
I think the Wiseco is lighter though. I didn't actually weigh them, but I had them in each hand.

jordan_m6
10-27-2006, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by duey
Thanks. Good point. I think I am going to try to find a JE piston. I believe they offer a .20 over piston w/ 11:1 compression. I could get the wiseco but I don't see a good enough reason to waist 2 bore sizes. I wouldn't think a .40 over piston would offer that much more power vs. a .20 over. I wonder why wiseco doesn't offer smaller first size over pistons for the 400ex?

They do your just not looking in the right places. I have a std. bore 11:1 wiseco. if you look on ebay they have alot of different sizes, but it not a steady list. Then if you go to teh wiseco site they have every size and compression available, along with the JE's site.

flauge
10-27-2006, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by dariusld
I think the Wiseco is lighter though. I didn't actually weigh them, but I had them in each hand. It should be since its forged,but i wonder if the thermal coating had something to do w/ the namura being a little heaver also?

400exstud
10-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by flauge
It should be since its forged,but i wonder if the thermal coating had something to do w/ the namura being a little heaver also?

Thermal coatings are about as heavy as a teflon coating so I doubt it...