PDA

View Full Version : Coating internal engine?

OutlawEX
10-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Ok I was wondering if any of you know of any places that coat the inside of your engine? I have heard of this being done to gain some serious horse power. I just dont know where to look. I dont really want to contact a engine builder as they will be marking their service up vs me dealing direct. Anyone know where i can look to get info and cost on getting my internals coated?

wilkin250r
10-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Do you know what kind of coating you are looking for?

As far as I know, there are several different types of coating that can go on certain places inside the engine, but none of them will gain you serious horsepower.

There is a certain molycoating that can go on many engine surfaces that helps displace heat, but it's not a miracle coating. You're not going to see a 50 degree drop, and you won't see 20% increase in horsepower.

There is a ceramic coating for the piston that keeps heat in your combustion chamber and keeps the piston cool. But this sort of thing is mainly going to benefit 2-strokes in order to keep the crankcase temperature down. It doesn't boost peak HP, it just helps you keep it there for longer periods of time.

There is a Nikasil coating for the cylinder, but it really doesn't offer any performance gain, it's more of a gain in longevity. A Nikasil-coated cylinder will last easily five times as long as a regular iron sleeve.

krt400ex
10-25-2006, 10:37 AM
u mean like kashima(sp) coatings and stuff?? um, i think that u can only get it done from and engine builder, because it requires special heating processes and stuff...but that is about all i know...

OutlawEX
10-25-2006, 01:00 PM
What i am referring to is coating your gears and what not. ITs a black coating

krt400ex
10-25-2006, 02:11 PM
oh...i thought u meant ur cylinder. then i dunno. i never heard of anythinglike that

300ex mxracer
10-25-2006, 05:32 PM
i think i know what your trying to get at??? yoshimura does whats called blueprinting on all the internal engine components of doug gust and all the 'zuki/yoshi riders. they measure all internal parts and gears and polish/grind them so they fit together perfectly. they then spray some liquid on them. (forgot what it is???) i think this is done because it gives more hp and crisper shifting.

cals400ex
10-25-2006, 11:22 PM
www.swaintech.com