PDA

View Full Version : 310 setups?

honda182
10-25-2006, 12:02 AM
I am thinking about getting a esr 310 non pv cylinder with type 9 porting. Almost positive to get it. I am just curious about what setup to run. I have a esr 5 pipe. I think I am going to get a 39 pwk carb but I am not sure about what reeds to use. Also which domes should I get. I run aviation fuel. How much compression should I have to run that fuel. I may also have its porting changed more for my needs instead of the cookie cutter one that is on it .I ride mainly dunes and desert I mess around in the woods and track a few times a year but mainly desert. I want this thing to beat up some four strokes:devil: Also I have the 86 shot rod. Any help will be appreciated.
thanks

C-LEIGH RACING
10-25-2006, 10:40 AM
With all those different types of riding, woods & then dunes, I would sugest a PV cylinder ported for top end, but the only problem is with the ESR pv valve itself.
The ESR pv is made in a way, when it functions it opens up too early & you end up with a drag race engine.
The old model Rotax valves, or the CT Racing valve will work much better, be more forgiving on the rider.
ESR has the best price on the kits, but if you got to change the valve you save nothing.
If your going to get the ESR non pv & then later on get it re-ported, just get the cleanup match port work & then when your ready later, get a real port job.
Neil

deathman53
10-25-2006, 03:39 PM
I wasn't happy at all with the port job on my esr 330, the two sides were different!!!!!! It was supposibly trx6(low end) porting, but it hardly looks ported. Something was wrong to be able to ride it in a atc w/ stock swinger and not have wheelie problems. I was much happier with a ported stock cylinder and the lrd 310pv really kicked both of their butts. I rode it once with the stock swinger and a +1 lsr swinger was ordered, the wheelie problem was bad, its still wheelies on command, but its rideable. With the stock swinger it wasn't even ridable, hit powerband it almost flips on you. I don't know if you know, but most 310's really are 295, 309 is the last bore on the cylinder.

400EX QUADER
10-25-2006, 05:33 PM
I have a esr 310 powervalve with longrod and it rips. I have the trx5 centermount pipe with the pwk 39mm carb. I ride in the dunes and it still wheelies whenever I want to even in 4th with a 86-87' style +6 swingarm. I'm selling the motor though. gonna build me a drag bike. here's a pic of my quad... http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/sickrider/Picture040.jpg

707trx250r
10-25-2006, 06:11 PM
I am really happy with my ct power valve. Granted it is a 350 I think they can do a 310 pv. I would call them and ask for Allen. He helped me get my motor picked out

honda182
10-25-2006, 10:44 PM
What about just fixing up the stock cylinder? I have heard about stock cylinder engines beating 370s is this true? What type of power could I get from a ported and mill the head(whatever that does) stock cylinder and swithching to long rod? Sounds like big bores arent good for all around without PV and I dont have enough money for a powervalve as of now. Ijust want a fast engine for now maybe later I will go big bore if im not satisfied. thanks for the comments keep um coming.

honda182
10-25-2006, 10:50 PM
400ex quader how much you selling your engine for?

400EX QUADER
10-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by honda182
What about just fixing up the stock cylinder? I have heard about stock cylinder engines beating 370s is this true? What type of power could I get from a ported and mill the head(whatever that does) stock cylinder and swithching to long rod? Sounds like big bores arent good for all around without PV and I dont have enough money for a powervalve as of now. Ijust want a fast engine for now maybe later I will go big bore if im not satisfied. thanks for the comments keep um coming.

Just get a cheap bigbore cylinder... stock cylinders are slow unless you're a super good tuner, know the right set-ups, have alot of money and usually have a stroker crank. If you're determined to keep the stock cyl, do a 4 mil stroker with porting.

400EX QUADER
10-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by honda182
400ex quader how much you selling your engine for?

pm sent...

chris46250r
10-26-2006, 06:52 AM
Is a 330 non power valve motor any good?

deathman53
10-26-2006, 07:11 AM
yeah, if its ported correctly. But if you do, DON'T get a bolt-on, you want the one that requires the bored out cases. On the bolt-on you have to have a long rod, you have a spacer plate. The sleeve tapers down and doesn't go into the case. You also only have 2 bores in the cylinder before you have to resleeve. After 2 bores the piston won't fit into the cases.

C-LEIGH RACING
10-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by chris46250r
Is a 330 non power valve motor any good?

My daughters been running a 330 non pv for two seasons, 42 local events & 10 EDT nationals & the cylinder or the bottom hasnt been touched in those two years.
Neil

45 lt80
10-26-2006, 06:13 PM
C-Leigh Racing

Who ported your cylinder???:confused: :confused:

Thank you...
45lt80

BLACKeR
10-26-2006, 06:17 PM
C-Leigh Racing

Who ported your cylinder???

the same guy who you should have port yours. hes a great guy to deal with. never heard a bad thing about him every experience i have had has been positive, and everyone who has had a engine ported by him drools all over themselves talking about it. as soon as funds permit im sending my cylinder out to the same guy.

jcas
10-26-2006, 07:58 PM
I run a Esr310 non-p/v with their 9 porting. I use the high-compression dome with an Keihin/ESR 40.5 carb with a +4 swinger for the dunes. For around the house (screwing around), I'll change the dome to the pump gas dome (still have to use at least 97 octane gas) and an a/s 38mm carb. The second setup gives me more lowend and is easier to ride. Both setups rip, but I'll put the hurt on some nice 4-strokes with the dune setup.

400EX QUADER
10-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by 45 lt80
C-Leigh Racing

Thank you...
45lt80

c-leing racing ported c leign racing's cylinder... If thats what you're asking.:p

C-LEIGH RACING
10-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by 45 lt80
C-Leigh Racing

Thank you...
45lt80

That would be me, NPRD Racing Engines / Pritchards Lil Engine Shop.

iamjasyn
10-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I wasn't happy at all with the port job on my esr 330, the two sides were different!!!!!! It was supposibly trx6(low end) porting, but it hardly looks ported. Something was wrong to be able to ride it in a atc w/ stock swinger and not have wheelie problems. I was much happier with a ported stock cylinder and the lrd 310pv really kicked both of their butts.

Funny, you say this about ESR. I had them do a simple bore job for me and didn't even chamfer the left exhaust port. Assss hoooles. Get a real builder for your final touches (or maybe Eddie himself). By the way, I have a 270, stock cyl with a long rod, ported for duning and it is a huge blast! There is a bit of a hit especially in that high drag, soft sand, but it's perfect. If the right builder touches a stock cyl it can be a screamer. Rick Kirmil did mine but I think he's left the game. Point being, for a fast cyl it's not so much the cc's but the quality work that goes into the design.

400EX QUADER
10-26-2006, 09:26 PM
I can almost guarantee you cannot make a stock cyl as fast as a bigbore mod for mod...

400EX QUADER
10-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Or maybe some way you could (I doubt it) but it's gonna cost a whole lot more.

BLACKeR
10-27-2006, 05:11 AM
Zedicus has a 300 re-sleeve ported by C-Leigh that he says will beat any of the big name 310's. the aftermarket jugs will have larger coolant jackets, and better initial port mapping. but send it out to a guy like C-Leigh and he fixes the port mapping. so your just left with a little less cooling ability.

my advice would just be to get an unported 310 from CT or ESR (ESR comes with a billet head) and send it to C-Leigh. i have heard way too many complaints about ESR's porting, also heard CT is a crap shoot. if the right guy ports it its beautiful, but sometimes you get the wrong guy...

chris46250r
10-27-2006, 05:19 AM
Can you get the esr 330 kits with or without the spacer plate. Does the one with the plate require any machining to the cases?

C-LEIGH RACING
10-27-2006, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by chris46250r
Can you get the esr 330 kits with or without the spacer plate. Does the one with the plate require any machining to the cases?

The "BOLT ON" 330 kit from ESR wont need the cases cut, but the 330 kit with the iron sleeve in the cylinder, you will need to have the cases opened up so the sleeve skirts will have somewhere to go.
The Pro-X cylinder kits use a piston shaped like the old 85/86 model R cylinders use, so if you had a short rod crank you could probably use a cylinder without the spacer plate.
LA Sleeve, ESR or CT, either one will sell you a top end kit without the spacer plate.

Blacker,
I have that 300 stock R cylinder you mentioned, Zed sent it back to me awhile back.
Neil

juanki
10-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
I have that 300 stock R cylinder you mentioned, Zed sent it back to me awhile back.
Neil

what is the higest cc that you can make out of a stock cylinder?

i migth get a hold of an extra cylinder, could i send it to you and make it 300-310 and then bolt it on?

and finally, what else do i need to get in order for this to work? long rod? spacer paltes? i any recomendation?

C-LEIGH RACING
10-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Beleave it or not, I have seen a stock R cylinder casting with a 330 sleeve installed. I just looked at the cylinder, didnt see it run but it was used so somebody had to have ran it.
Sleeve itself was so big outside the iron was in the water jacket.

On a stock R cylinder that the stock sleeve is still in place, you can bore in a 70mm YZ piston & IF, notice I say IF the cylinder has been bored straight every time its been bored, not crooked or off centered you can bore in a 71.95mm piston. Sleeve will be thin but you can go that high.
I wouldnt want to try running it for a long time though.

I could do a 310 re-sleeve if thats what you want, & yes it would be a bolt on.
Neil

juanki
10-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
I could do a 310 re-sleeve if thats what you want, & yes it would be a bolt on.
Neil

ok, i'll look for that cylinder, a friend of mine was selling me not long ago, i'll pm later for all the info thanx.

juanki
10-27-2006, 08:32 AM
and to continue wit the tread on the set ups...

what other changes need to be done to the quad, in order to have a smoot ride and for the engine to handle the extra power.

i know that a bigger radiator is good, new reeds?,
or can i run it with stock everything (enginewise) ?

kiesta00
10-27-2006, 07:40 PM
depending on what the application is for you'd need to get a new carb and pipe specifically designed for low end, mid, or top end power...whatever portwork you go with

CorvetteZ06
10-28-2006, 11:43 AM
I have a CT raacing 310 pro-x top end and love it! great power and has been bullet proof for me. Goodluck!