PDA

View Full Version : popping bead

440ex78
10-24-2006, 08:18 PM
i got a pair of holshot HD's last year for christmas and i cant seem to get the bead popped on my 400 ex stock rims iv put 40 psi in them and still nothing what should i do

1fst400
10-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Make shrue the rim is cleened up real good. then put some soapy water on the rim, I use window cleener.

take the valve core out of the valve stem ( more flow). And let er rip till they seat. I had my kenda claws up to 65 before them suckers poped on there.It can damage the tire, and potentialy blow apart and kill you. Be careful of that tho.

firefighterjosh
10-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Put some pressure in there like the 40PSI then bounce the tire off the ground

northwest Texas
10-24-2006, 09:25 PM
65psi is asking for a death warrant.

Break the tire back off what little is seated on the bead and spray a liberal amount of WD-40 along where the tire will seat. If you can do this with a warm tire (let it set in the sun) that will help.

Every tire I've changed has been difficult and takes about 35 psi. Scares me every time. I'd rather change a truck tire than an ATV tire.

Don't stand directly in front of the tire in case she does blow your chances of being hurt are less.

MtBrian
10-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Hey, well since I just threw my new pair of H-D's on my stock rims last week I'll post my insight. For the rear tires, I had issues with the outer (side with the colored HOLESHOT) to seat on the outer side of the rim. The solution I found was to get them nice and lubed up, I used the tire soap, and then filled it to about 25psi or so (core in). After that while the tire is laying face up or whatever side you are having troubles with, and lean down on the center of it. The bead should begin to seat around the rim if it decides to work.
Anywho, that was the only way I found to seat my beads, worth a try.

parkers30
10-25-2006, 07:19 AM
wd-40 helps... but sometime they just don't like to seat 50 psi isn't uncommom

440ex78
10-25-2006, 10:00 AM
ok ill try the wd 40 n see how that works thanks

kbass24emtp
10-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Take a tie-down strap and wrap it around the tire and secure the strap. Spray the bead with soap or wd 40 and air it up. You want to pull the strap as tight as you can get it, the strap does not allow the center of the tire to bulge.

Rancher2005
10-26-2006, 11:08 AM
i was able to seat one of the bead with just air(no valve core in) the other bead was harder.. I tried the ratchet strap method and also the bouncing method. My buddy told me to try this. Lube the hell out of the bead. Fill up the tire about 30psi with the valve core in. It was about 45 degrees outside. Take the tire into a warm room (it was a boiler room at about 75degrees). About 10 minutes later i checked the tire and it was on the bead. The warm air expanded the air enough to seat it and it probably softened the rubber enough to flex more. This is a much safer solution than just putting 60 psi in it at once.

My $.02

440ex78
11-10-2006, 06:45 PM
i did the wd and the strap and it worked great thanks

fullysic 400
11-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Never tried this but have seen it done on a home video,

Spray inside of tyre with lighter fluid stand back and ignite,

Worked well to pop the bead on, but youd have to be keen I reckon.

My 2 c worth

northwest Texas
11-13-2006, 08:08 PM
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THAT METHOD OF USING LIGHTER FLUID, STARTING FLUID, OR ANY OTHER FLAMMABLE TO SEAT THE BEAD
If you decide to try it (it's used when seating the beads, not breaking them loose) REMEMBER THAT YOU MAY FIND YOURSELF ON THE DARWIN AWARD FINALISTS LIST