PDA

View Full Version : i need more power

hicktown 357
10-24-2006, 02:10 PM
i dont know what to do i've got the cherry bomb and got the pea shooter removed but i'm wondering if i should get a k&n but i dont kno if that will help me without a pipe help me out here if u dont kno tell me some stuff to do to it

armysig
10-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Almost all the current aftermarket intakes for the LTR are a little to small and thus so are the air filters.

The ModQuad intake seems to help out, but FuelATV is designing a new one to improve the intake even more. It might be out in the next 2 to 4 weeks I'm guessing (maybe sooner, I haven't seen a current update)

The only real way you'll get a HP gain out of your intake is if you remove the airbox completely from your LTR. Other than that you'll gain 0 HP

Warnerade
10-24-2006, 04:07 PM
ya their intake design is pretty crappy... 3 1/2 inch intake is too small for a motor this size, and the airbox is way too small also.

jfarrar30
10-24-2006, 04:53 PM
the problem with the filters is too small of a surface area.the airbox is small but if you are able to mod it a bit(depends on riding conditions) you can get some decent flow out of it.i drilled two holes in the very bottom of my airbox 1.5" i think. put some louvers on the left and right sides and use a larger uni filter mounted to a trinity adapter.i wish i would have dynoed it before hand i garauntee atleast a 2hp gain and still have great protection.filter is a bit of a pain to install but well worth it.as far as the other intakes showing 0 gain i say that is bull.even when i ran the filters that come with the adapter i noticed a gain with the airbox mods.

AL Elks
10-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by jfarrar30
the problem with the filters is too small of a surface area.the airbox is small but if you are able to mod it a bit(depends on riding conditions) you can get some decent flow out of it.i drilled two holes in the very bottom of my airbox 1.5" i think. put some louvers on the left and right sides and use a larger uni filter mounted to a trinity adapter.i wish i would have dynoed it before hand i garauntee atleast a 2hp gain and still have great protection.filter is a bit of a pain to install but well worth it.as far as the other intakes showing 0 gain i say that is bull.even when i ran the filters that come with the adapter i noticed a gain with the airbox mods.

FUELATV has done VERY thorough testing to include the Trinity with airbox mods and it added absolutely no hp. Many of us on another site can confirm this with our SOTPD (seat of the pants dyno) as we were VERY disappointed with the Trinity intake. The trinity didn't even pick up 1hp in his testing until he totally (100%) eliminated the airbox and then it only gained 1hp

jfarrar30
10-24-2006, 08:15 PM
well going by my seat of the pants dyno after modding the box i noticed a change.and after going to an even larger filter noticed more gain.you could see it in the holeshots .same tracks same people cosistantly pulling more than a bike length more than i was before hand.time after time weekend after weekend.also after adding the filter i had to add fuel to eliminate the popping and when you gotta start adding fuel you know somethings happnin'.not saying its gonna flow as much as no box but there is PLENTY of room for improvement keeping the box and using one of the billet adapters that are available.the tiny filters have to go.i wish i would have put it on the dyno beforehand.

Warnerade
10-24-2006, 08:18 PM
watch out Al Elks...this is the guy that said he has ridden his LT-R faster and harder than anybody else out there...

armoks
10-24-2006, 10:11 PM
Nacs if you want to run against farrar we can set that up.

PeeWee21
10-25-2006, 04:59 AM
I know AL Elks and JFarrer both from the boards i visit, BOTH of them know they're chit....and J is a FAST SOB on ANY quad, if he says he felt a difference, i believe him, i believe what Al says too....there are so MANY variables that play a role in both of they're outcomes on the intake issues....J could be where the air is consistantly cooler and denser therefore getting a much better charge of air entering the intake and getting a better result than say Steve at Fuel ATV out in Cali where the air is warmer and dryer with LESS oxygen to help the fuel mixture burn....this is just my opinion though. He had a Dale for a LOOOOONG times so EFI is something he's familiar with. Enough of my butting in, i respect BOTH of they're opinions, even if they differ!

Warnerade
10-25-2006, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by armoks
Nacs if you want to run against farrar we can set that up. why would I want to race one on one with somebody I know will win? Gosh

feel free to stop out in Michigan next season for any quad series race though:)

jfarrar30
10-25-2006, 06:33 AM
please let my add that these mods were done on a cammed and ported motor maybe that had something to do with gains or it benefitted it more?i admit the trinity k&n filter had very small gain.but when i switched to the prodesign filter then to the filter i have now i noticed more gain each time.

nacs get a life!your input here is about worthless.everyone look out for nacs 27 he is part of the "hard arse clan"

Warnerade
10-25-2006, 06:48 AM
I am sure a ported motor will notice a better increase with a bigger filter/intake.

better?

FUELATV
10-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Here is what we found and no discredit to anyone. This is just what we found on the dyno on my bike.

No air box lid, Dasa pipe, cherry bomb, and stock filter - 51 HP

No air box lid, Dasa pipe, PIM, stock filter Mild web cams, Mild porting - 55 HP

Cut about 3 inches off the air box, Dasa pipe, PIM, trinity intake, K&N filter, Mild web cams, Mild porting - 55

Completely cut air box (almost nothing left), Dasa pipe, PIM, trinity intake, K&N filter, Mild web cams, Mild porting - 56

No air box,New intake, New K&N filter, Dasa pipe, PIM, Mild web cams, Mild porting - 58 HP

All of these runs were done on the same dyno and under the same conditions. Your resualts could vary. IMO and by my testing JUST adding a trinity intake and K&N will not make any more HP unless some serious air box trimming is done.

jfarrar30
10-25-2006, 12:55 PM
fuel you have seen a quite a few of the different pipes mounted up is there any more clearance between one or the other near the back of the airbox?reason i ask i had to heat up and push the back of my airbox out about a half inch to accept the filter im running.just wondering if the dasa or hmf has any more clearance in this area.my airbox i very close the the yosh pipe now.no heat issues or anything but would like to sqeek a little more length out of it.

FUELATV
10-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Well not too sure as i have not checked for that. I think the air box will hit the plastic shield first right? So are you lookin for clearance via the canister of the mid pipe? The mid pipe on all of the pipes that make power will come very close the lower part of the air box.

jfarrar30
10-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by FUELATV
Well not too sure as i have not checked for that. I think the air box will hit the plastic shield first right? So are you lookin for clearance via the canister of the mid pipe? The mid pipe on all of the pipes that make power will come very close the lower part of the air box.

i removed my shield so im not sure.most the midpipes probably are pretty close to taking the same route i assume just wondering if maybe one of them came back a little straighter missing the backside of the box a little more but that probably wouldnt be possible without a shorter cannister.

FUELATV
10-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Well some pipes do sit lower as in not tucked up as much. this should give you some more clearance. The Dasa and Yoshi are very tucked up. The Rossier and HMF are not as tucked up. This may help you get some more room.