PDA

View Full Version : buying a 250r

flying dutchman
10-24-2006, 12:52 PM
heey guys

i might be buying a 250r in a couple of weeks.
now i am wondering what are the things to look after with a 250r?

like things that are known to fail

greetzz bart

TheFontMaster
10-24-2006, 02:10 PM
The main things, look for cracks in the frame, cracks or repairs to the motor cases. Check the berrings to see if they are good. Test ride it, make shure that the motor is cold, start it, see how many kicks it takes to start it. Let it warm up then run it through all the gears, and make shure the clutch feels good, and it shifts smooth. Look for oil leaking out of the motor. Check to see if parts have been greases, see what the air filter looks like. The little things like that will tell you if he took care of basic matinance. If your state requires a title, make shure he has it. If you don't need the title then get a signed bill of sale. Also make shure he knows what work has been done to the quad. If he doesn't know what parts are on his own quad. That should be most of what you need to know.

flying dutchman
10-24-2006, 02:42 PM
oke thanks for the tips

i dont need a title since im from europe.
the netherlands in fact
and im gonna buy it at a dealer it has a-arms and suspension allready.
so i guess it will be allright but ill check the intire machine just in case

iamjasyn
10-26-2006, 09:41 PM
One thing I look at is the condition of his other vehicles and his garage. If other things look neglected chances are your 17+yr quad is too.

The frames crack at the motor mounts and at the metal hoop at the top of the steering stem. Frames are the highest price item to replace, so check that out for sure. I say buy something all original and you'll be reasonably sure it hasn't been launched and landed hard on. Those friggin nerf bars sometimes crack the front motor mounts if they're bolted there.

Look for bent bars and stem, scuffs on the top of the master cylinder - look for signs of impact. Look for hits to the a-arms.

Lastly, look at the owner and listen to his answers to your questions. If he volunteers information = good. If he's tight lipped = potentially bad.

peeping TOM
10-27-2006, 05:30 AM
check for .as these things fail =

case damage
gearings shifting ok
swingarm bearings =lack of grease so the sleeve & bolt will be shot as well.
play on the bearing carrier bearings
shocks working ?? as they should ?
play on the ball joints
play on the a arms,
have the a arms got grease nipples?? {a must have }
pull the stator cover off,,check the conter balance bearing holder,there known for cracking .

all these things will cost u euro;s to put right ,,

personally i can live with cracks in the frame ,,as they need gusseting up any way ..

flying dutchman
10-27-2006, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by peeping TOM
check for .as these things fail =

case damage
gearings shifting ok
swingarm bearings =lack of grease so the sleeve & bolt will be shot as well.
play on the bearing carrier bearings
shocks working ?? as they should ?
play on the ball joints
play on the a arms,
have the a arms got grease nipples?? {a must have }
pull the stator cover off,,check the conter balance bearing holder,there known for cracking .

all these things will cost u euro;s to put right ,,

personally i can live with cracks in the frame ,,as they need gusseting up any way ..

thanks tom.
and yes its euro's indeed;)
well i found a second 250r for sale.
ill get a full super motard and mx set up with it and a lot of extra parts.
but the engine is torn down cause it needs new crank and balancer bearings.

i have heard of company's that make replacement bearing holders that wont crack.
but i cant find that website anymore.
do you know what company that might have been?

rider250ex
10-29-2006, 10:01 AM
www.esr250.com