PDA

View Full Version : getting sound and power out of a stock 400ex exhaust???

hks308
10-24-2006, 11:36 AM
i got a pretty much stock 02400ex and im used to it being loud and everything, but i was wondering if there is anything i could do to the exhaust pipe to make it louder and more free flowing and give it a little more power, without hurting the engine or anything.

any ideas?

what have you guys done ?

10-24-2006, 12:22 PM
great, another i want it louder deal....

why don't people realize that sound is an issue that opponents of atv's use to get riding areas closed.

we, as a group of atv enthusiests, need to be responsible and try to give our opponent as little ammunition agaist our sport as possible. this is not the way to do this.

it does not matter if you will always be on your property, far away from any neighbors that would care. the mere fact that you are posting that you want to be loud and obnoxious is good enough for those against atv's give to fight even harder. it gives them the proof of "our" uncaring nature.

i would like to say thank you as the political wheels of thise who would ban my favorite past time begin to turn faster, gaining the ever needed momentum in the fight against all things offroad.

fox17
10-24-2006, 01:41 PM
well said.

DirtDevilBT
10-24-2006, 01:59 PM
ouch, most of the time, more sound can equal less power, when backpressure is concerded. If you are looking for more power, there will be plenty of people ready and willing to chime in with with the best exhaust to buy. You can get quiet series pipes that make much more power than a modified stocker.

I understand the noise need, it's cool and all, but my quad is somewhat quiet compared to others, yet mine is quite faster most of the time.:D

2004exrider
10-24-2006, 03:24 PM
A lot of people that do modify the stock muffler usually drill a couple holes in through the plates in there just to free up the flow. http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/2004exrider/stock_exhaust.jpg

The best thing to do though is just save up and buy an aftermarket. I dont think its gonna sound as good as you'd like.

Jimmy

DirtDevilBT
10-24-2006, 08:09 PM
nice pic!

10-25-2006, 08:05 AM
That wall you can drill a 1"-2" hole in and it will help alot.

Heres what i did to my 2002 400ex. I cut right behind that wall and blocked off all the passage ways except 1 hole.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/getdrunk1990/4wheeler195.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/getdrunk1990/4wheeler071.jpg

It was way better than stock in every way but it was as loud as no muffler. I mean I ran hte muffler and it was super loud going down the road cause it would shake peoples houses. i took the muffler off and it maybe got 2dbs louder only so it was very loud but i thought it sounded cool as did some other people.

This shows the holes to block. http://teamxracing.cjb.net/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1372978

wilkin250r
10-25-2006, 10:47 AM
I don't want this to turn into a bashing thread, but I think it IS important to point out and clarify some of the aspects.

First off, as a general rule, LOUD=OBNOXIOUS.

My quad is loud, I'll admit. But it's not loud simply because I like it loud. It's loud because that's the only way I get the performance I need. If I could keep it quiet and still get the same performance, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Let's talk about opinions and how OTHER people view you, because it is indeed important. You show up at my riding spots with a stock machine and stock pipe, it's all good. We can talk shop, I'll give you some pointers. Just a few riders out having fun, who cares what you're riding. You don't have to have a super bad-*** aftermarket machine to have fun, and you don't have to pretend that you know everything.

But if you show up at my riding area with a drilled-out stock exhaust, then we KNOW that you're a poser, we know that you're just trying to be loud and obnoxious, and you're going to get laughed at. There's nothing wrong with stock exhaust, but there IS something wrong with a loud and obnoxious stock exhaust.

10-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I don't want this to turn into a bashing thread, but I think it IS important to point out and clarify some of the aspects.

My quad is loud, I'll admit. But it's not loud simply because I like it loud. It's loud because that's the only way I get the performance I need. If I could keep it quiet and still get the same performance, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Let's talk about opinions and how OTHER people view you, because it is indeed important. You show up at my riding spots with a stock machine and stock pipe, it's all good. We can talk shop, I'll give you some pointers. Just a few riders out having fun, who cares what you're riding. You don't have to have a super bad-*** aftermarket machine to have fun, and you don't have to pretend that you know everything.

But if you show up at my riding area with a drilled-out stock exhaust, then we KNOW that you're a poser, we know that you're just trying to be loud and obnoxious, and you're going to get laughed at. There's nothing wrong with stock exhaust, but there IS something wrong with a loud and obnoxious stock exhaust.

amen brother...that is a good way to state that.

bwamos
10-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself.

10-25-2006, 12:31 PM
really loud dont =obnoxios.

it = obnoxios to people that dont like loud.

i dont even know what obnoxios meens:confused:

People on loud quads dont get laphed at they get *****ed at.

10-25-2006, 12:40 PM
1 archaic : exposed to something unpleasant or harmful -- used with to
2 archaic : deserving of censure
3 : odiously or disgustingly objectionable : highly offensive

my 400ex has a big gun full race exhaust...it is not obnoxious...it is a little louder than tstock and actually gives it better performance...a modified stock exhaust will not, although becuase of the noise, it will seem like it has better performance

10-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
a modified stock exhaust will not, although becuase of the noise, it will seem like it has better performance

No i did help me over stock. I would win in drags against a nother stock ex.
It had better throtle response and reved faster and probably more top end.

250exkid
10-25-2006, 04:09 PM
what some of you ppl dont get is im with the kids that like loude atvs but what you dont get by me there is no trails like the nearest one is like 50 miles away up north soo like im on a big farm so ya it doesnt matter how loude mine is cuz all the 6 ppl that live by me have loude A** exhausts on there trucks so i just want all yall to think maby its not an issue were ppl live is to have there 4wheelers loude. BUT when you do ride on trails you should have it quieted down because your actually on a trail! anybody get what im saying or... :bandit:

DirtDevilBT
10-25-2006, 05:20 PM
^^in a round about way. The area does matter, for sure. I live just outside of Los Angeles in the suburbs and I'd be sited if I took mine out more than a couple minutes. My nearest riding place is 70 miles and the next is close to a hundred.

FYI: just thought of this the other day. People complain all the time about recreational things like paintball. O it's too violent, or it's messy and ruins the land. Then some as.shole takes a paintball gun and shoots people on the street or rob a store with them lol. This just adds to the flame of bit.ching people.

How come people don't complain about baseball? You know how many bats are used to KILL people or severely injur them? I say down with baseball and them violent bats. :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm starting a patetion. ATV Riders of America want baseball banded. It is a violect sport that spills into the streets and is used to commit crimes. The parks are built over mother earth and the polution from the cars in the parking lots are killing the Red Spotted Pen.is Frog of South Central Los Angeles. Pffff hahaha:rolleyes:

On a side note. You want to stop obesity, let the kids ride and play dodgeball instead of stopping physical activities and cutting program funding for the idea that more education is what they need. I swear...

hks308
10-25-2006, 05:36 PM
lol. fat kids

xxnightraven73x
10-25-2006, 09:08 PM
i ve got 2 pipes and im just as loud as when i had the single white brothers on there but the power increased alot more with next to no more db loud doesnt=power set up =power

hks308
10-26-2006, 08:07 AM
where can you get them?

250r4life
10-26-2006, 11:17 AM

you can actually modify stock and other exhausts to perform pretty well... i have modified both stock, and a fmf quiet core silencer for considerable power increase... they were both louder, but for the money the power increase was great...

its incredible how much the stock mufflers on 4 strokes choke them down...

hks308
10-26-2006, 05:37 PM
my buddy just took off my bafflin and its a little louder and i can already feel the power... if you haven't done it, do it! makes me excited just to ride tomorrow?

Toadz400
10-27-2006, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by slow

*Smashes head on desk*

Live2Ride300
11-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
*Smashes head on desk*

Kaleigh
11-04-2006, 04:49 PM

Riding Areas are getting closed down cause of noise.. It is understandable for racers to have a loud machines.. but that is the only acception... here we are having trouble opening a park just because almost eveyone wants there machine to be hear.. well.. if i can hear your machine from a mille away.. then im sure the cops can too.. When I have m stock exhaust on.. I have no trouble riding by people.. even my neighbours dont care that I ride up and down the road.. loud is rude..

krt400ex
11-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Kaleigh
Riding Areas are getting closed down cause of noise.. It is understandable for racers to have a loud machines.. but that is the only acception... here we are having trouble opening a park just because almost eveyone wants there machine to be hear.. well.. if i can hear your machine from a mille away.. then im sure the cops can too.. When I have m stock exhaust on.. I have no trouble riding by people.. even my neighbours dont care that I ride up and down the road.. loud is rude..

yupp^^^^

that is why i am going to get a yosh pipe...good power at 93 dec. can't beat that. the only thing is that i wish the stock pipe had a bit of a growl to it....it is kinda like puff puff puff puff puff...if it growled a bit, then i wouldn't change it out...

Kaleigh
11-04-2006, 05:15 PM
my pro curcuit is awesome with the QC in it.. the nice thing is if I want to race it.. just take it out and rejet.. take a whole 10mins..

250exkid
11-04-2006, 07:12 PM
like i said! ppl that want loude pipes should have loude pipes! the ppl that want them loude MOST likly live in areas that it doesnt matter on how loude they are. when i go on trails i make mine quiet, when i get home i make mine really loude cause nobody cares by me and they actually like to hear and see my atv along with my snowmobile.:macho

Toadz400
11-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by 250exkid
like i said! ppl that want loude pipes should have loude pipes! the ppl that want them loude MOST likly live in areas that it doesnt matter on how loude they are. when i go on trails i make mine quiet, when i get home i make mine really loude cause nobody cares by me and they actually like to hear and see my atv along with my snowmobile.:macho

You'd be surprised, a lot of people that want the loud pipes don't need them and ride on public trails and don't care what anyone else thinks.

krt400ex
11-05-2006, 04:01 PM
You'd be surprised, a lot of people that want the loud pipes don't need them and ride on public trails and don't care what anyone else thinks.

yupp. that us how it is by me....everybody has to have the loudest bike and piss the neighbors off....

bansheemorphine
11-06-2006, 02:54 PM
my buddy took the tip off of his exhaust and took the spark arrester out then put the tip back on it sounded awsome and was only a little louder also you can take your head pipe off and where it goes into your motor on the inside of the pipe there is welds you can grind these down and it should help with performance some

bwamos
11-07-2006, 10:47 AM

obnoxious.
Main Entry: ob·nox·ious
Pronunciation: äb-'näk-sh&s, &b-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin obnoxius, from ob in the way of, exposed to + noxa harm -- more at NOXIOUS
- ob·nox·ious·ly adverb
- ob·nox·ious·ness noun

AKA.. obnoxious = ____________ (fill in the blank)

11-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
obnoxious.
Main Entry: ob·nox·ious
Pronunciation: äb-'näk-sh&s, &b-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin obnoxius, from ob in the way of, exposed to + noxa harm -- more at NOXIOUS
- ob·nox·ious·ly adverb
- ob·nox·ious·ness noun

AKA.. obnoxious = doober (fill in the blank)

250exkid
11-07-2006, 11:39 AM

ic ic ic ppl that do ride on trails should be checked idont no i dont run trails im on a farm lol so ya.:rolleyes:

11-07-2006, 12:10 PM
I dont ride trails eather. I ride on my track and in my oval track and my field and neighbors field and my friends farm fields and lakes and roads but no trails. To me trails are boring.
The only place i ride that is called trail riding is the pipe line and its all sandy and i dont think sound matters cause trucks and other stuff ride their.
If their was a noise limit their the dnr would have got me already cause when i go their its all wooped out and i keep ripping up and down the woops and no dnr ever yet.

DEAL
11-07-2006, 01:41 PM
I dont ride trails eather. I ride on my track and in my oval track and my field and neighbors field and my friends farm fields and lakes and roads but no trails. To me trails are boring.
The only place i ride that is called trail riding is the pipe line and its all sandy and i dont think sound matters cause trucks and other stuff ride their.
If their was a noise limit their the dnr would have got me already cause when i go their its all wooped out and i keep ripping up and down the woops and no dnr ever yet.

go lay down.

250exkid
11-07-2006, 03:34 PM
sweet, the pipe line by me is pure mud, well if its covered in water on a 4x4 you stick to the middle the sides are horrible lol, what town you live in?? SLOW?

11-08-2006, 06:28 AM

is it legal to ride on roads where you live? and if trails are boring to you, you have not been on the right trails. and sound matters everywhere...the louder an atv is, the more people can hear it. the more people that can hear it , the more people you have a chance at pissing off. the more people you piss off, the better chance that there will be someone looking to stop your and my enjoyment of riding atv's.

250exkid
11-08-2006, 08:36 AM
speedy, im registerd for trail/ AG use so for me i can ride on roades legally, i just say im going to one of my fields, and also theres like 10 ppl that live in my area, 70% farmers and maby like 1 or 2 ppl without a 4wheeler. atleast by me they love watching and hearing us 4wheeling/snowmobiling/hunting. the people that live by me are also really good friends we go atving with anywase so by me NO matter what yall say noise or anything doesnt matter because like 80 or more% of the hole 10 ppl by me do it to. and Slow were do you live..... and speedy looks like in your pics you got a brand new black honda? i just bought mine brand new in the past couple months

BillyT
11-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Just had some trails closed off around here because too many people complained about the noise - Totally sucks

Toadz400
11-08-2006, 10:32 AM
speedy, im registerd for trail/ AG use so for me i can ride on roades legally, i just say im going to one of my fields, and also theres like 10 ppl that live in my area, 70% farmers and maby like 1 or 2 ppl without a 4wheeler. atleast by me they love watching and hearing us 4wheeling/snowmobiling/hunting. the people that live by me are also really good friends we go atving with anywase so by me NO matter what yall say noise or anything doesnt matter because like 80 or more% of the hole 10 ppl by me do it to. and Slow were do you live..... and speedy looks like in your pics you got a brand new black honda? i just bought mine brand new in the past couple months

Only takes 20% of the people to ruin 100% of the fun for 80% of the people.

11-08-2006, 11:06 AM
it is sad that we have to fight the anti atv crowd AND he young and stupid...I guarntee that there are more people around you that do not like the sound of your atv.

you may not realize that there may be a lot more people that hear you and are annoyed by the sound than what you are aware of. they will snap eventually and the ability to go down the road will disappear.

stupidity and pigheadedness go hand in hand. one can only hope that they grow out of it before it is too late...

it was new at the end of february, the 400ex was bought new by my friend in 2000. i bought it 2 years later with only 30 hours or so on it...

93_5.0
11-08-2006, 02:15 PM
I for one don't like super loud exhaust, but then again I have to worry about noise. My old 400ex had an HMF sport series slip on when I bought it and I bought the quiet core insert for it. My 250R is super quiet compared to my 400ex and it has full Paul Turner exhaust system but there are some people that say a 2 stroke is more annoying but I dissagree, I think a super loud 4 stroke is just ear splitting. In the newest ATVrider Magazine, they tested like 10 different pipes on an LTR 450 and the most gain out of all of the pipes was like 3 hp. the stock pipe with the air box lid off put out more hp than every pipe they tested. On some pipes they accually lost power by puting an aftermarket pipe on. I think for 4 strokes stock exhaust is fine if you can just pop some holes in the inside wall and make it sound a bit better. My friend has a Z400 that he completely gutted the pipe and it sound great and is not to loud at all.

Honda4lyphe
11-08-2006, 07:12 PM
personally im pissed at the atv riders in my area back when i rode utilities we could ride at LBL and all around the lake, then some idiot rednecks (no offence if you are there are some rednecks that are truely stupid, or dont always make the right decisions i should say) with loud pipes came and pissed off the local people there, they also destroyed land and litterd beer cans and stuff like that everywhere (no problem with the beer..but if you dont pick it up its a problem) the rangers closed down the land to us atv riders, this caused a big fight and we lost. Now, we have VERY little areas to ride, all i have is soldier creek, paddy's bluff, and turkey bay and thats simply it. The damn creek screws up my machines and paddy's and turkey bay costs money and their rules suck (at turkey bay any way) im addicted to this sport and always will be, im motivated to move away because of other peoples actions but right now i choose to fight some more with the rangers, and try to get victory.

The exaust i have now is not TOO loud but is still a bit louder than stock, but to me its bearable with the neighbors, before i bought the bike i actually asked my close neighbors if it would bother them, luckely they all ride atv's too so their cool with it :D

Kaleigh
11-08-2006, 07:40 PM
I tend to switch back and forth from my stock exhaust.. if we're planning a trip to go riding then ill put my ProCircuit on.. but most of the time I have my stock on.. you know its quite when you can have you machine running in the garage and still have a conversation...

11-09-2006, 07:15 AM
sweet, the pipe line by me is pure mud, well if its covered in water on a 4x4 you stick to the middle the sides are horrible lol, what town you live in?? SLOW?

LIke 30 miles north of green bay

11-09-2006, 07:21 AM
is it legal to ride on roads where you live? and if trails are boring to you, you have not been on the right trails. and sound matters everywhere...the louder an atv is, the more people can hear it. the more people that can hear it , the more people you have a chance at pissing off. the more people you piss off, the better chance that there will be someone looking to stop your and my enjoyment of riding atv's.

WEll if theirs no people around then theirs no people that will here it wheich meens no one gets pissed off.;) Every time i went trail riding i only remember 1 time i was going fast in a high rpm acrost peoples drive ways and the speed limit was like 10 i think but it was starting to rain so i had to go fast if i didnt want to get wet. The water felt like needles as it hit me.:scary:

smokey480
11-09-2006, 09:50 AM
I thinkk some people just love to argue. If you want to make your pipe louder then go for it, you dont need to feel that you have the weight of all ridders future on your shoulders! People are going to think whatever they want, if the judge then thats not your problem. People also can judge someone with tattoo's and think they are a bad person but most of them will get to know you before they do that. Its to bad that your thread got turned into a debate about noise levels and paintball guns and public opinion and all that other stuff. I hope you get it all figured out...

hks308
11-09-2006, 10:00 AM
is it bad if you take out the end baffling out your quad? bad for the motor? or anything that deals with the quad?

11-09-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by hks308
is it bad if you take out the end baffling out your quad? bad for the motor? or anything that deals with the quad?

Nope its safe. Safer than running a aftermarket pipe.

11-09-2006, 10:49 AM
what is baffling? i know what a baffle is, but not baffling.

it don't really hurt, although rejetting would be a good idea after removal.

the weight of all riders are on everyones shoulders every time they ride. we need to be responsible as a community. like it or not, there are people that would love to ban our sport for many reasons, one of those is the noise level. any disregard shown for an acceptable noise level, whether it is offensive to those around you or not, is more fule for those against atvs. their fight is strong enough and we as a community do not need to give them any more ammunition. any disregard can and will lead the eventual demise and banning of our sport. you have to realize that the future of atv riding in america is in danger.

driveways are not trails...these are a trails:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/ULGAD-DSC00010.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/FXUMD-DSC00007.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/VQPIA-differentpartofthetrail.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/QCYHD-oneofthetunnels.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/IRXWU-trailoverthetunnel.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/tightfit.JPG.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/NBJBO-alittlebitoftrail.jpg

hks308
11-09-2006, 10:53 AM
i've never seen trails in tubes/tunnels like that

11-09-2006, 10:56 AM
those are from the "tri-county atv" club's land. it is about 15 mile s east of Indiana, PA

the top two are from the local trials near oil city, pa

hks308
11-09-2006, 11:17 AM
yea, i haven't been to any famous trails in pa. i just got a bunch of trails and figure eights of my own. also, me and bunch of buddies ride on a abandon track up in robinson, PA.

11-09-2006, 11:22 AM
the trails around wear i am are all wide and smooth. Their pritty much a long dirt road.

11-09-2006, 11:37 AM
a "pretty much a long dirt road" is not trails...it is a long dirt road...go into the woods where you have permission to be...

11-09-2006, 11:42 AM
a "pretty much a long dirt road" is not trails...it is a long dirt road...go into the woods where you have permission to be...

I have trails in my woods i ride in. One trail has a 3 f00t jump and you land up hill and if you jump to far you will hit big pine trees.

hks308
11-09-2006, 11:45 AM
lol trees. i have bad luck with trees. just the last time i was riding, i bent my upper a arm and my front grab bar. never wheelie up a hill when at the top of the hill, there are 2 trees you have to go threw. lol

11-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by hks308
lol trees. i have bad luck with trees. just the last time i was riding, i bent my upper a arm and my front grab bar. never wheelie up a hill when at the top of the hill, there are 2 trees you have to go threw. lol

Well my friend has trouble with trees too. Riding behind me on his 400ex throught a trail that goes back to my track and when he looked back his tire caught a small tree and front end rode up the tree and tiped him over backwords. :D

red426ex
11-09-2006, 12:07 PM
i agree with all of you be quiet all of our riding areas and race tracks are gettign shut down due to noise... i admitt my 440ex is really loud due to a Rossier full system custom made because i race with the owner of rossier an dits very loud but it is the only way i can get my 440 to make the most power... my 440 is also a RACE ONLY quad i dont take it on the trails or anything it goes to the track gets races back to the trailer and back in the garage till next weekend... so unless your racing and absolutely need a loud pipe for high performance stick with stock exhaust or at least something that mees the 96 to 98 decible limits of trails and most smaller race tracks...

smokey480
11-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Maybe its not so much a problem for me since I live in the desert but for the most part I think if people use good judgement while ridding then that the noise probably isnt the biggest problem. I see a lot of guys that tear stuff up while ridding and thats the worst thing to do. What are you supposed to do? Change your pipe out depending on where your going to ride? Thats not very realistic.

11-09-2006, 12:58 PM
get a lower db pipe or leave the stock one on in original form...the idea of wanting the loudest possible machine just becuase is idiotic. a race track is the only place that needs the super loud "shorty" pipes that are available...my 400ex has a big gun full race exhaust on it and i feel it is too loud, had i not bought it used with that exhaust on, it would still have the stock exhaust like my 450r has.

it all boils down to the fact that we all share responsibilty for our actions as a group. we need to minimalize any of the issues that the anti's are using against us...whether it be noise, safety issues, envirnmental damage, trespassing, or any other, we need to eliminate any and all reasons for them to not like us...

smokey480
11-09-2006, 03:57 PM
If thats the case speedyquad, I'll trade you my stock 400ex exhaust for your aftermarket pipe and it will fix both of our problems..