PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new Ute...need advice

scamutz
10-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Ok, so I haven't had an ATV since my Kawi KLT 160 (1987ish?), 3 wheeler..and Honda ATC 350X (In 1992). Both sweet trikes...but I have very little experience with quads, or any ATV's in the past 15 years.

I'm now in the market for a Sport/Ute ATV and need some advice. I need a winch, 4x4, and reverse. Other than that, I'd like to have it as sporty as possible.

Ideally I'd like to be able to get the front end off the ground if I want to, and be able to kick the *** end out around a turn. Does this exist in a Ute, or is it one or the other.

Any advice appreciated...

10-24-2006, 01:11 PM
I SAY THE YAMAHA WOLVERINE 450

rundrave
10-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by scamutz
Ideally I'd like to be able to get the front end off the ground if I want to, and be able to kick the *** end out around a turn. Does this exist in a Ute, or is it one or the other.

Any advice appreciated...

I would say you could do this with alot of utilities....however the wolverine although a good machine leaves a lot to be desired in the sport category

I would suggesta scrambler, but they are a tad bit outdated. I love mine and you can wheelie with it, still sporty, and a great mudder, 4x4 etc.

There is not much else out there. Those are really the only 2 that fall under the sport/ute category.

Theres the renegade coming out...wish somebody else would look at this concept a little more. Could make for some fun machines.

10-24-2006, 04:32 PM
THE SCRAMBLERS GET BEAT OVER ALL BY THE WOLV----PLUS THE YAMAHA'S LAST 4EVER -- THE Polaris aaaaahhhhhhh well you know.

firefighterjosh
10-24-2006, 08:23 PM
What is you $$$ Limit? Also do you mind having a big Ute?

Maybe take a look at the Cam - AM 800 outlander, Kawie 700 Prarie, Arctic Cat 700, Suzuki 700 , Kawi Brtue Force 750 and 650

Can - Am is the fastest of all UTEs 2nd would prally be the Brute Force 750. Can - Am wil handle alot better.

If you want the Best Handling and fastest go with the Can - Am (bombardier) But don't rule the other out. The AC and Suzuki 700's are very nice. Not as fast but can hold there ground. Google It!!!:D

scamutz
10-24-2006, 09:08 PM
Money isn't really a problem. I'll spend whatever I have to to get the best ATV for what I want. It's one of the benefits of shopping at 34 as opposed to my first go round when I was into 3-Wheelers as a teen and was broke as a joke. ;)

scamutz
10-24-2006, 09:11 PM
It's looking like I'll go check out the Can-Am. I'm a bit skeptical just because I hadn't heard of them before I started researching a few weeks ago. Do you think that parts will be available and they'll be around for a while? I plan on this one being a keeper.

firefighterjosh
10-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by scamutz
Money isn't really a problem. I'll spend whatever I have to to get the best ATV for what I want. It's one of the benefits of shopping at 34 as opposed to my first go round when I was into 3-Wheelers as a teen and was broke as a joke. ;)

Then I would take a look at the ones I metioned above. They all get great reviews and are fast for a 4x4.

firefighterjosh
10-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Can - Am made dirtbike way back when. Then they were called Bombardier they make Jet skis and stuff too I belive. Then they are going back with the Name Can-Am. Yes they will be around for a while. Mike Penland, and some others are factory sponsored by them.

Just google Ca-Am 800 or Bombardier 800 or something and you will get lots of info.

Race Pic

ibthegator
10-25-2006, 04:53 AM
My friend owns a dealer and Polaris had their company out to test all their new quads on this past Sunday.
They also had all the big competitor utes there.
The new Grizlly stood out the most as ddid the Polaris something.
The Can-Am 800 had the most power but had the worst handling.

firefighterjosh
10-25-2006, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by ibthegator
The Can-Am 800 had the most power but had the worst handling.

R u Serious?:huh I always thought they handled great!:o

scamutz
10-25-2006, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh Just google Ca-Am 800 or Bombardier 800 or something and you will get lots of info.

Yeah, I read everything that I could before posting here...I was just looking for some real life experience and opinions.

Thanks!

ibthegator
10-25-2006, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
R u Serious?:huh I always thought they handled great!:o

I am just passing on what these guys told me.
They rode all day on all the machines and they liked the can-am the least.
I don't think it is a matter of the bike not handling well, just that it was one of the worst handling out of the utes.
Bummed me out since that is what I was looking at.

They didn't have the new outlaw there though, just last years version.

rundrave
10-25-2006, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by 700YELLOWRAPTOR
THE SCRAMBLERS GET BEAT OVER ALL BY THE WOLV----PLUS THE YAMAHA'S LAST 4EVER -- THE Polaris aaaaahhhhhhh well you know.

not to stir the pot here or get too far off subject, how does the wolverine beat the scrambler overall?

If your refering to the very biased dirtwheels article earlier this year ahahahah. I think any magazine article can be bought and this article proved it.

The scrambler hands down out performs the wolverine in almost every category: speed, acceleration, and power. They said the scambler had a better ride, more power, better brakes etc and then at the end they say the wolverine is better?

Their reason for picking the wolverine over the scrambler was because it has a speedo and hour meter....woopidy doo. Im not saying the scrambler is the greatest atv ever either because its far from, but its better and sportier than the wolverine.

Am I saying the wolverine is a bad machine...not at all, but its 420cc compared to 499, its got decent power compared to other machines, but nothing close to the scrambler.
Its not a bad mudder for 3wd either :p

10-25-2006, 04:10 PM
lol:blah: yup all the mags are wrong i have been ridin & readin dirt wheels,3 wheeler,3&4 wheel actoin-now avt action,atv rider,etc for 20 years and i agree with you any shoot out polaris did not win was a lie!

smity06
10-29-2006, 12:45 PM
If i were you i would go with the Honda Rincon. PLenty of power, and easy to do wheelies with also. They arn't the fastest but you can't go wrong with a honda.

shakin
10-30-2006, 03:28 PM
PLUS THE YAMAHA'S LAST 4EVER

Someone is dillusional!!!!! Yamaha's are very fast and run good for a short time. Put a few hours on them and they are JUNK! At least their sport quads are.

I just bought a Sportsman 800, and it does all that you have mentioned with ease. The CanAm 800 is supposed to do all this stuff too. According to the mags, CanAm is more fun in trails. My buddy has a new AC 700 EFI, though it will only wheelie in low without a slight hill, it is a very fun machine. Kinda comes down to how much $$$ you plan on shellin out. There is a new suzuki King Quad 450EFI with IRS thats coming out and its supposed to be a real "shocker" according to suzuki.

10-30-2006, 06:55 PM
live and learn:eek2:

shakin
10-30-2006, 07:53 PM
I know, wasted it twice. Had a Raptor and a YFZ.

I have also heard that the new Grizzly is supposed to be a very nice ute.

10-30-2006, 08:07 PM
time:D

First Outlander
10-31-2006, 01:45 AM
If price is not an issue then go with a Outlander 800 or wait for the Renegade. I have driven both of these machines and race the Outty in GNCC there is nothing that can touch them in power and overall handling.

My dealer friend who sponsers me in motocross and GNCC lets me try every brand out, for motocross I race the Yamaha YZ 450F LE but for ATV's the Can-Am is weapon of choice.

Herd a Renegade 450 is in the works if you want to wait a bit longer.

Try(test) them all out, I think you would come to the same conclusion as I.