PDA

View Full Version : how much improvement from a hotcams stage 1?

Selland74
10-23-2006, 10:44 PM
im sure questions like this get asked all the time so i tried to some research on my own to start with. Its sounds like a hotcams stage 1 would be a good cam for me (drop in, good for all around riding). I have a 400ex with a k&n and full big gun system. Would this cam be a good mod for me and how much would it improve? thanks.

Selland74
10-24-2006, 08:59 AM
anybody?

GPracer2500
10-24-2006, 11:13 AM
I think you'll feel satisfying gains pretty much across the board. The stock cam is quite mild.

Here's what Hotcams would have us believe:

http://www.hotcamsinc.com/images/dynocharts/1007-1.jpg

I wouldn't really take that graph literally. First of all, they've got it labelled as TRX400EX or XR400. Those two engines have different stock cam specs and differect stock compression ratios. Plus, the power sure seems to fall off too soon. Point is, don't take that chart literally--it's only a representation of the difference between stock and the Stg 1.

If you're thinking about a Hotcams cam but aren't sure if it would be worth it--I say do it. They are a good value and I think you'll really notice a difference.

krt400ex
10-24-2006, 11:23 AM
yup ^^^^

400exstud
10-24-2006, 03:17 PM
My friend has the stage 1 because the compression release lobe on his stock cam broke. Whenever me and him drag it is a toss of the coin on who will win. Although they are close in power they are completely different beasts. His hits really low and hard which makes you feel like you are going really fast; whereas, the power of my bike comes on real mellow but picks up later.

As for my mods

I have an HMF full system with the quiet core in (which does make a difference in power).

2004exrider
10-24-2006, 05:57 PM
IMO best thing ive done to my ex.

Jimmy

newrider4002001
10-24-2006, 07:12 PM
go for the cams its the best power to cost ratio out there with mine and a few other mods i can keep up with 450rs

slipp
10-24-2006, 08:08 PM
i have a stage 1 cam.. with 11:1 compression pistion.. not sure which makes more differance. but.. im out running banshees that are piped n jetted.. dunnno, seems decent to me

tp300ex
10-24-2006, 09:52 PM
and i walked on water:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

400exstud
10-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by slipp
i have a stage 1 cam.. with 11:1 compression pistion.. not sure which makes more differance. but.. im out running banshees that are piped n jetted.. dunnno, seems decent to me

You may be outrunning them but it isn't your machine.

Def-e-nition
11-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Guys , I need to give an indication whether I want stage 1 or 2 .
I recently jetted the bike , usual aftermarket mods , and thought a stage 1 would be perfect .

The guy insists i take a stage 2 .

I want a stage 1 , as i dont feel I have enough done to the bike engine -wise to justify a stage 2 .

Can anyone shed some light on this for me ? Gp racer , if ever i needed your input , now would be a good time to do so .

They are priced the same . My bike is bog standard , 398cc , with choke removed , 14-38 , uni , 165 main .

i cant believe they would make a stage 1 if it were no goo d.
Also , I do a lot more fun riding than racing , next year ill focus more on enduro's .

guys i need your help . Im itching to transfer the money so long , and then give my answer to him after I've heard from one or two of ytou .
i just dont get how a stage 2 would have this major impact on the power of my bike , with no further Mods than most other bikes .
If I decide LATER , to do high compression - then yes - stage 2 will be fine -but until then its no use installing a cam that will be effective in a years time Only . Makes no sense!!

help !
Thanks ,
Stuart

jokester
11-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by tp300ex
and i walked on water:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hahahah LMFAO!!!!!!!!!

vze2hnvz
11-27-2006, 09:35 AM
As GpRacer already said - you also have to take that graph for the 400ex on the Hotcams site with a grain of salt. I emailed the company last month and inquired why the dyno chart showed the Hotcam Stage 1 run was done with a whitebros pipe (look at the description in the dyno) while the stock cam run was done with the stock pipe. They stated that the tech that set up everything and ran the dyno's no longer worked there, and they were not sure why they tested the bikes in that configuration. I can hazard a guess to say that it's because it would show increased HP on the dyno to someone that didnt read that the Stage 1 cam was run with an aftermarket pipe. Apple's and Orange's comparing those two machine's if you wanted to show a true comparison between the Stage 1 cam over OEM.

parts eeter
11-27-2006, 02:07 PM
I am running a Hotcams stage 1 and an 11 to 1 piston with a slip on and filter.I run a 42 pilot and 158 main and its a great runing ex.It has more torque on the botton than stock and way more top end than it had before.I sold my stage 2 cam and bought a stage 1 cuz the 2 hat no torque on the bottoma nd only slightly more top end than the 1.The 2 is not a good woods cam.

Kaleigh
11-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by parts eeter
I am running a Hotcams stage 1 and an 11 to 1 piston with a slip on and filter.I run a 42 pilot and 158 main and its a great runing ex.It has more torque on the botton than stock and way more top end than it had before.I sold my stage 2 cam and bought a stage 1 cuz the 2 hat no torque on the bottoma nd only slightly more top end than the 1.The 2 is not a good woods cam.

thats why i chose stage 1.. i love the torque.. you will not be dissappointed with a stage 1.. unless your a duner or a highspeed racer.. I dropped in a stage 1 with no mods to the engine( rockers, spring, etc)

Def-e-nition
11-28-2006, 08:06 AM
I ordered the Stage 1 ..

1598 main- meaning Keihin ? y Dynojet is on 160 . Im planning to Slip this sucker in before the next race . Im 12 Points behind the Number One contender - I reckon he's not gonna Know what HIT him .
Only thing that will have to be Kept an eye on , is how thirsty it is . .
but i want to thank all of you for your advice . really . I would probably have bought stage 2 and not known any better .

400exfan19
11-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Kaleigh
thats why i chose stage 1.. i love the torque.. you will not be dissappointed with a stage 1.. unless your a duner or a highspeed racer.. I dropped in a stage 1 with no mods to the engine( rockers, spring, etc)
why wouldnt a stage 1 be good for the dunes?

Def-e-nition
11-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Most Dune Riding Is flat out Revs , not so ? so , I'm assuming that he Means stage 2 works better that way .under those conditions I would also Imagine the stage 2 to work Better .
you dont need low down torque to run a dune , the Power on a stage 2 shifts to the higher end of the rex's Range . You pin the throttle in fifth and away you go .

400exfan19
11-28-2006, 10:43 AM
in the dunes u hardly ever hit 5th its all about the bottom end power and torque

Def-e-nition
11-28-2006, 11:25 AM
well then I don't know . :(

GPracer2500
11-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by 400exfan19
in the dunes u hardly ever hit 5th its all about the bottom end power and torque

Totally depends on what you're riding, how it's geared, and how you ride (pace, style, etc). Generally, I'd much prefer a top-end bias for duning.

Kaleigh
11-28-2006, 12:10 PM
why wouldnt a stage 1 be good for the dunes?

im not saying its not good for dunes.. but a stage 2 would be better cause most of the power is mid to top..

stage 1 more low to mid
stage 2 more mid to top

400exfan19
11-28-2006, 02:00 PM
o, ok. low and mid end power is best for dunes because there arnt that many flats. in oregon at least

Kaleigh
11-28-2006, 02:35 PM
o, ok. low and mid end power is best for dunes because there arnt that many flats. in oregon at least

its really personal preference and how you ride and where