PDA

View Full Version : Where do i cut the swingarm bolt at.

BigValvedEX
10-23-2006, 07:57 PM
I have been trying to pound and impact drive my swingarm bolt out. I sprayed with everytype of penetrating lube, used a impact wrench at 200psi, and nothing. I think i am going to have to resort to cutting the bolt. Where do i cut it at. I will have to cut it in four places wont I, since it goes throught the motor,... also where does it usually seize up,... is it in the motor section or the swingarm bushings. I know there are a bunch of posts on this but i couldnt find any that tell where to cut it out at.

1fst400
10-24-2006, 05:17 AM
I cut mine with a torch on one or both sides of the motor, I cant remember.

Once I took a chunk out I was able to break the bolt free and pull each half out.

northwest Texas
10-24-2006, 06:15 AM
I just got mine out Saturday. It was froze up on the right side bushing.

I took my torch and heated it up a couple times and then was able to get it to move a little bit at a time.

I hope you don't have to cut because it will test your patience, or it did mine when I had to do that to my Q'Racer years ago.

BigValvedEX
10-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the help,... I used the old torch trick and it worked, i was scared to do it at first b/c i didnt want to heat the aluminum on the rear of the motor too much and screw anything up, but it didn't get too hot there, thanks again.

rsb5772
10-28-2006, 12:53 AM
Just curious, but once mine is cut, wont it still have the piece in the motor? I guess take it to a press?

JimmyHoffa
12-13-2006, 09:09 PM
I would take it to your nearest large hammer and drift pin.

Honda#4
12-14-2006, 09:57 AM
there is a bushing in the motor that is not replaceable from honda.

JimmyHoffa
12-14-2006, 06:02 PM
wa wa wa wait...... So it's possible that I can damage something that I can only repair by chucking a piece of steel up in my lathe and going at it? It's a pressed-in deal that comes pre-installed in case halves? (my bolt is still stuck. more time for questions!)

Honda#4
12-14-2006, 07:49 PM
the bushing in the motor has to be pressed out or something but a person would have to be darn good at fabing one of those to get it perfecto. So be carefull, hopefully when I did mine it poped right out thank god. That was the best luck of my life.

1fst400
12-14-2006, 08:06 PM
You wouldent have to be that great of a machinest to make up the bushing that goes in the case. Just cut the thing out with a torch, just dont cut the motor part. If you are not good enough with a torch to do that then find someone that is. its not that dificult.

If you do run into the problem where you damage the case bushing. then just take the other good one out, ( theres one on each side) and bring it to a machine shop.

Honda#4
12-14-2006, 08:27 PM
I thought it was like a tube bushing sort of, like whats in the bearing carrier.

Rich250RRacer
12-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
I thought it was like a tube bushing sort of, like whats in the bearing carrier.

I have yet to see one stuck in the motor, there's more than enough clearance in there. I've had the best luck cutting the right side (clutch side) first, this is the side with more of the collar exposed. I used a die grinder, cut it close to flush with the motor and almost flush with the swing arm. Once this was done, I unbolted the motor mounts, tilted the motor back and slid it to the right side of the chassis. It doesn't look like it will go, but it does (you may have to take the cam cover off, it's been awhile and I really don't remember). When you have the motor slid over, you can now cut the left side. It sounds like alot of work and it is, but I was pulling the motor for a rebuild anyway. Once I had the motor out, the remains of the left side should drive right out. I had to die grind the head of the bolt off the right side, then drive whats left in towards the center.