PDA

View Full Version : Custom Intake

Big - D Racing
10-23-2006, 05:15 PM
So I thought I would show everyone what's the latest mod I have done to my 440ex. After evaluating the air intake boot, and trying to figure out how to increase airflow, I decided that needed to be scrapped and replaced with something more smooth and pure flowing. So first thing I did was stripped the stock box and air boot. Then went to my local Pep Boys and bought a couple different car intakes, yes car! What I found worked the best for fit, finish, and performance was a intake chamber for a basic model Honda civic made of light weight aluminum and polished to a chrome finish. I cut it down to fit in the area above the the swing arm where the stock box is and I bought flange adapter to go from the civic 3" diameter chamber to the 2" intake on my edelbrock carb. Everything tighted down with a hose clamp and fit great. With the crank case breather that went into the stock intake boot I cut that and put a mini K&n air filter on the end and zip tied it out of the way to my frame. So now I have a nice looking intake with much better breathing characteristics and a K&n filter without the airbox. I don't really ride in water or mud so not too concerned about having a box. After testing a weekend in the dunes, there has been no problems what so ever and the throttle response has increased and the power slightly. Also had to richen the carb slightly to adjust for the more air.

Here are the pics:

Big - D Racing
10-23-2006, 05:16 PM
pic 2

Big - D Racing
10-23-2006, 05:18 PM
pic 3

Big - D Racing
10-23-2006, 05:19 PM
pic 2 again

JOEX
10-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Nice looking setup, very clean:)

fastyz85
10-23-2006, 07:35 PM
nice setup and you got any pics of your quad all together cause that looks nice

JOEX
10-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Do you think it could be mounted more solid than the zip ties and hose clamps? I wouldn't trust the zip ties for long term use.

Big - D Racing
10-23-2006, 08:12 PM
yeah what I ended up doing, but have no pics is I wrapped a small bungee cord around it to the subframe, and that stabilized it really nicely. Doesn't look the prettiest in terms of taking it to a show or something, but it gurantees it will not viberate loose or fall off. Everything is tight and secure and was ridden on like crazy and checked periodically and it never budged. I would defnitely trust it through a full moto without worrying.

JOEX
10-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Big - D Racing
yeah what I ended up doing, but have no pics is I wrapped a small bungee cord around it to the subframe, and that stabilized it really nicely. Doesn't look the prettiest in terms of taking it to a show or something, but it gurantees it will not viberate loose or fall off. Everything is tight and secure and was ridden on like crazy and checked periodically and it never budged. I would defnitely trust it through a full moto without worrying.
If it works use it:D

I'm sure it wouldn't take much fab work to have a more solid mount and keep the clean look you have:)

firefighterjosh
10-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Looks Good