PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering

atv70x
10-23-2006, 04:18 PM
I WAS JUST WONDERING? IF I BOUGHT A NEW APEX, WHAT DOES EVERYONE CHANGE TO GO RACING? MY SON IS 11 AND HAS RACED MX FOR 3 YEARS, PUT A LOT OF MONEY IN OUR QUAD NOW, BUT THESE APEX GIVE YOU SO MUCH FROM THE START. JUST THINKING ABOUT THINGS LIKE PORTING, SHOCKS, PIPES, ETC...

kasea90cc
10-23-2006, 08:39 PM
has anybody ported theres yeat? was the port timing changed? and did you go to a bigger carb?

atv70x
10-24-2006, 04:06 AM
No, I haven't bought one yet. We're running an Eton now with a 28 mm and just wondering if this quad would be cheaper to build than putting more money in the Eton.

ecmini1
11-03-2006, 06:03 AM
We have upgraded the carb to 28mm and next will be shocks. We have been running MX and flat track with 0 problems incl. the shocks yet. We open eyes at the tracks when we race people they cant believe box stock how nice these bikes are.

wrhracing
11-03-2006, 08:50 AM
We will race one this weekend Straight out of the box. With the exception of a different air filter . Changed jetting, and aluminum nerfs, grab bar and bumper. Serviced all pivot areas with grease, changed the tranny fluid out, changed the coolant out.
Roller weights and clutching remains stock. Soon we will install the fox air floats, running the stock length shocks. Later we will upgrade to longer shocks all the way around with gull wing a arms, and different design swingarm.

wrhracing
11-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by kasea90cc
has anybody ported theres yeat? was the port timing changed? and did you go to a bigger carb?

The port timing was upgraded slightly from the factory.
The 2007 Assco pulls harder than a comparable "Thumpstar" style watercooled engine. It could be an increase in compression.
I always run a larger carbureator than a 24mm. However I will address the intake tract before installing anything larger.

wrhracing
11-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by atv70x
No, I haven't bought one yet. We're running an Eton now with a 28 mm and just wondering if this quad would be cheaper to build than putting more money in the Eton.

Until you get Double a arms that work and offer long travel suspension. With disc brakes up front . You can give up as much as 5 seconds in a downhill off camber turn.
That is the real answer. I witnessed it enough to make me sick.
We now have a Appex ProMx as the primary bike for the 90cc and 70cc cvt classes.
There is also a Cobra in our Horizon. For the Cobra Class.
And a Typhoon for the National 125 4 stroke class.

ecmini1
11-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Billy,
Do you have plans to run the apex at the national races at all?

wrhracing
11-03-2006, 11:16 AM
My son will have to come up to speed first. He has had a long layoff. Due to my other obligations.
We will have other Riders on the Apex at the Nationals.

ecmini1
11-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Great! can wait to here the results. My 2 riders are 7 and do great locally. Cant wait till they are up to speed to run some national events.

Cool to see you here. Your knowledge will be much needed on this site.

kasea90cc
11-03-2006, 07:30 PM
wr , I had the topend off the other day and i was asking if anybody has ported theres yeat, i ended up just cleaning up the cast marks and polished the ports, i did notice the ports were good size and that the gasket was to big and was covering some of the ports, so i cut the gasket to size , a set of fiber reeds and thats it , for sure! this made a differents , killer mid power witch we want , my sons racing indoor winter series.

WOLFPACK
11-09-2006, 04:26 AM
You could ad the single ring piston for a bit of improvement as well.

Shane