PDA

View Full Version : removing top a-arm bolt on raptor

maxamillion
10-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Im trying to remove the right top a-arm bolt to replace the bushings on a 2003 Raptor I bought for cheap to resell. The bolt wont pull out and I cant tap it out from the back because the frame rail is in the way. Anyone have any tricks or suggestions to remove the a-arm bolt.

I tried tapping it out with a punch, but like I said the frame rail is directly behind the bolt and I cant hit it hard because the motor is in the way too.

Thanks -Max

ZSK
10-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Put a flat head screwdriver in bettween the head of the bolt and the frame and turn.

maxamillion
10-23-2006, 03:23 PM
The head is still touching the frame because the bolt wont back out at all. I cant get a screw driver in there. Thanks for the reply tho.

maxamillion
10-24-2006, 08:13 PM
I think the bolt is rusted to the sleeve because the left side top a-arm slid out without any effort. Im thinkin about grinding off the head of the frozen bolt, and then punching it out backwards where I can get a solid hit on it. Anyone have anymore suggestions before I ruin an a-arm bolt? Thanks

Aceman
10-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Can you post a pic of it. I'm not familiar with Raptors maybe it will give some of us an idea how to help? Otherwise, I'd say try putting a cut off wheel in your grinder and go that route.

VIGILANTE MAN
10-25-2006, 08:16 AM
Try some penetrating oil and give it some time to work. It still won't come out easy, but it should help.

Get some different length punches or some old smaller diameter bolts to use as punches. Put several layers of tape on your frame where to punch is going to rub so you don't scratch it all up.

Beat the hell out of the bolt. If you worry about damaging it, you probably won't hit it hard enough to get it out. You can always re-cut the threads if you mess them up.

Just keep working on it. It took several evenings for me to get both my YFZ uppers off.

A few choice curse words seem to make the process easier also. But you've probably already tried that.

When you're putting everything back together, anti-seize the bolt so you don't have to go through this again.