PDA

View Full Version : Accelarator Pump?

rooster300ex
10-23-2006, 09:29 AM
What are signs of your accel. pump not working properly on a 250x carb. I use the carb on my 300ex. I robbed all the parts off my 300ex carb onto the 250x one.

GPracer2500
10-23-2006, 10:08 AM
You can visually confirm an AP's operation. If you remove the air filter, look into the carb, and whack the throttle open you can see if the AP squirter is shooting fuel or not. There's a little brass stub sticking into the venturi that literally shoots a stream of raw fuel into the engine.

That will at least tell you if the AP is delivering any fuel or not. I doubt that carb's AP would have any tuning features.

Kansas440ex
10-23-2006, 10:36 AM
If you are not getting the AP to work, does it have fuel in the float chamber? if not, float valve is varnished shut.(Air, carb cleaner and soft bristle toothbrush). The AP is a mechanical part and should not malfunction if your jets are all clean. The AP does not tune, however it is controlled by your jet selection.

Thanks

GPracer2500
10-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Kansas440ex
...The AP does not tune, however it is controlled by your jet selection.

What does that mean? What jet controls the AP in that carb?

wilkin250r
10-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Some accelerator pumps have removable jets. However, on the 250x carb, it's fixed.

When trying to visually verify the AP operation, look DOWN the carb in the same direction that air would be flowing, towards the engine. If you pull the carb and point it at you, you're likely to get a shot of fuel in the eyeball.

I've known more than two people that have done this.

rooster300ex
10-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Some accelerator pumps have removable jets. However, on the 250x carb, it's fixed.

When trying to visually verify the AP operation, look DOWN the carb in the same direction that air would be flowing, towards the engine. If you pull the carb and point it at you, you're likely to get a shot of fuel in the eyeball.

Do the 300ex & 250x have the same accel. pump fixed jet? I know everything about them except if the accel. pump is the exact same.

Aceman
10-23-2006, 04:49 PM
If you pull the carb and point it at you, you're likely to get a shot of fuel in the eyeball.

Wow....just wow.:huh

10-23-2006, 09:31 PM

lmao i did that to my friend before (he doesnt know much about carbs)

i said " look and see if this thing is moving"

he said "ok" and i pumped the AC pump and squirted it all over his shirt

lol im to mean :(