PDA

View Full Version : 1999 banshee trans problems

justplayin
10-23-2006, 06:48 AM
am having problems with my trans when am in 1st gear at high rpm's it wont go into 2nd i have to bring down the speed and rpm's a little then it goes same for 4th gear from 3rd...does anyone know what that is??? i hated short shifting... 1999 banshee

project_tecate
10-23-2006, 09:50 AM
is your clutch set up correctly?

firefighterjosh
10-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Maybe some bent shift forks?

bansheexcracer2
10-23-2006, 08:55 PM
I would look at your clutch.

justplayin
10-24-2006, 06:32 AM
ya everytime i drove it sunday the clutch smelled like it was burning or something...

Banshee009
11-12-2006, 11:10 AM
do you ust the clutch everytime you shift?
if so, you shouldn't.

are you running the right oil in the case?

is your clutch adjusted right?

sounds like it's time to rip off that side cover and take a gander at whats going on in there

firefighterjosh
11-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Banshee009
do you ust the clutch everytime you shift?
if so, you shouldn't.

:huh :confused:

Banshee009
11-12-2006, 07:58 PM
firefighterjosh

is there a problem?

i never use my clutch to shift, only to start and stop. alot less wear since i started to do that many years ago.

firefighterjosh
11-12-2006, 08:01 PM
firefighterjosh

is there a problem?

i never use my clutch to shift, only to start and stop. alot less wear since i started to do that many years ago.

You should always use a clutch to shift.

Banshee009
11-12-2006, 09:11 PM
firefighterjosh

your kiddin me right?

you mean to tell me, when your drag or mx racing, you actually let go of the throttle, pull in the clutch, shift, let out of the clutch and then pin the throttle?

who taught you how to race?

firefighterjosh
11-12-2006, 09:21 PM
So you are telling me you can not shift fast enough with the clutch? I can prally shift just as fast with the clutch as you can without a clutch.

Banshee009
11-12-2006, 09:38 PM
doubt it,

while you in the shop replacing your clutch cushions, i'll be racin'

everytime you break the connection to shift gears, you waste time, i always thought that too, years ago, till i went to a drag strip on payment and got my ***** beat shifting like that. i learned quick to be quick

have you ever seen a drag bike go down the quarter mile? air shifter and ignition interrupt, they never touch that clutch lever, takes up too much time

firefighterjosh
11-12-2006, 09:41 PM
OK you have a drag quad thats cool. But not for a all around quad. And Yes I would bet Pinks I can shift just as fast as you using the clutch. Its called "power shifting". I have had the same clutch for 3 years no problems.. Wow I need to replace bushings..you have fun replacing your tranny and shift forks!

Banshee009
11-12-2006, 09:51 PM
no, no drag quad here, all 'round banshee, plain jane, no big mods, just enough to make it fun, i ride it mx'ing to sand to across a harvested soybean field. it's fast, but i want more. don't git pissed, i used to shift like you, "power shifting" as you call it, but you can't dismiss that everytime you break that connection between engine to rear wheels, even that split second, you could lose a race.............

when you run down a quarter mile strip with an air shifter, you except it to pull in the clutch lever for you too?

later

firefighterjosh
11-12-2006, 09:55 PM
How did we get to airshifters? All I know is not using you clutch will screw crap up. The clutch is there for a reason. That is why it is there. "power shifting" is also bad I only did it when I dragged raced.

Banshee009
11-12-2006, 10:20 PM
firefighterjosh

hey there, man, i'm here one day and i'm already in fight..

sorry

all i know is that i used to do that shifting thing, drag racing, hill shooting, and all it did was kill my cushions in my clutch basket. after bout the third time, my best friend asked me how i was shifting and showed him. well, he called me a dumba^$ and showed me how to do it. i've been racing the same banshee since '93 and the only time i touch the lever is to start, stop, and if i need to, slip the clutch to git it in the power band. i never touch the clutch to shift, drag race, rec ride, shifting up, or shifting down. those banshee trans are almost bullet proof the way they are. even in ones that customers bring to me beat to $hit don't need anything replaced in the trans how ever they shift. i replace more clutch baskets because of shot cushions then anything.

all i now is that once i learned how to shift without using that damn clutch, i got faster, and i got the slips to prove it.

have you ever takin' your banshee to a drag strip and seen for yourself what it can do?

people always talk, everyones faster then the other guy. on dirt and sand, it's really hard to document who's fastest. i know banshee's, raptor's, 450's and the like don't see alot of payment, but sometimes, with that slip of paper you get at the end of your run, well, that tells you more then whatever the other guy is braging about, all the time, his ride is in his garage, sittin, and his is still going to be the best, even though he's too chicken to bring it......

later

Banshee009
11-12-2006, 10:25 PM
and another thing, it dosen't mater who wins or loses, after the races, the people racing quads are usually grouped together having a beer and talking quads having a good time, and gittin ready for the next race or ride

later

beerfarm
11-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by justplayin
am having problems with my trans when am in 1st gear at high rpm's it wont go into 2nd i have to bring down the speed and rpm's a little then it goes same for 4th gear from 3rd...does anyone know what that is??? i hated short shifting... 1999 banshee

Hey there justplayin. sounds like your subject kinda ran off a little.
First I will take a guess and assume you don't have a back cut tranny. So difficult high rpm shifts "usually" points to the clutch basket (ecspecially if its a stock basket). If any part of that basket where the clutch steels and disks slide in looks like a serated steak knife it could be the majority of your problem (easy to spot) What happens is under hard load-high rpm all those disks will be wedged against the grooves in the basket not allowing for the tranny to "unload" for you to shift weather you use the clutch to shift or not. WHICH brings up another part of another topic. Power shifting is what causes a basket to look that way (seratted knife) Holding full throttle and snapping the clutch while shifting, or power shifting as it may be called, is why baskets do this. The instant unload and reload of the tranny under full throttle litterally slam the disks into the basket causing this condition. It is very hard on the basket, disks, pressure plate, and all the internals. A huge shok to the whole system!! Me, I never use the clutch to shift while under way. Put a little bit of pressure an the shifter, back out of the throttle just a hair and a good operating tranny will suck its self into the next gear up. With practice it can sound like you are using an air shiffter. Very quick shifting!
So like it was already said, check your basics, (cable, push rod adjustment, etc.)
Hope you get 'er done!!
Jon

eastexasbanshee
11-13-2006, 03:41 PM
You are a freakin idiot for not using a clutch. Plus, I would like to see you shift that banshee with out a clutch if it had any kind of power. You would break your ankle before you got that thing to shift. And if you ever did you would be replacing forks and gears in the tranny. Don't call me a dumbass because I know what I am talking about. Yeah you might save your "cushions", but that is cheaper and easer to replace than a tranny. If you don't want to use a clutch buy an override, and if you don't want a all out drag tranny, get a dunable override. And if you are just trail riding, leave the tranny alone, AND USE THE FREAKIN CLUTCH.

firefighterjosh

hey there, man, i'm here one day and i'm already in fight..

sorry

all i know is that i used to do that shifting thing, drag racing, hill shooting, and all it did was kill my cushions in my clutch basket. after bout the third time, my best friend asked me how i was shifting and showed him. well, he called me a dumba^$ and showed me how to do it. i've been racing the same banshee since '93 and the only time i touch the lever is to start, stop, and if i need to, slip the clutch to git it in the power band. i never touch the clutch to shift, drag race, rec ride, shifting up, or shifting down. those banshee trans are almost bullet proof the way they are. even in ones that customers bring to me beat to $hit don't need anything replaced in the trans how ever they shift. i replace more clutch baskets because of shot cushions then anything.

all i now is that once i learned how to shift without using that damn clutch, i got faster, and i got the slips to prove it.

have you ever takin' your banshee to a drag strip and seen for yourself what it can do?

people always talk, everyones faster then the other guy. on dirt and sand, it's really hard to document who's fastest. i know banshee's, raptor's, 450's and the like don't see alot of payment, but sometimes, with that slip of paper you get at the end of your run, well, that tells you more then whatever the other guy is braging about, all the time, his ride is in his garage, sittin, and his is still going to be the best, even though he's too chicken to bring it......

later

justplayin
11-13-2006, 03:41 PM
thats cool i sold the banshee and got a diffrent one, thanks guys...

beerfarm
11-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by eastexasbanshee
You are a freakin idiot for not using a clutch. Plus, I would like to see you shift that banshee with out a clutch if it had any kind of power. You would break your ankle before you got that thing to shift. And if you ever did you would be replacing forks and gears in the tranny. Don't call me a dumbass because I know what I am talking about. Yeah you might save your "cushions", but that is cheaper and easer to replace than a tranny. If you don't want to use a clutch buy an override, and if you don't want a all out drag tranny, get a dunable override. And if you are just trail riding, leave the tranny alone, AND USE THE FREAKIN CLUTCH.

And all this time I thought my banshee was making good power!:rolleyes:
I run a full override and yes it shifts great without a clutch. But the way you shift it can be carried over to any tranny!. I have been no clutch shifting my Busa (192hp) an KZ(158hp) on untouched stock trannys long before I even thought about building my guttless banshee;) Its all personal preference. If I jump on any of my buddies machines I clutchless shift em all and they are all good performers. And here I go running off with a thread...
Justplayin, I hope the new machine works out for ya!!:)

Banshee009
11-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by eastexasbanshee

no i won't!

your not the boss of me :p

i've got a '96 banshee i bought same as brand new. been shifting that same banshee without a clutch going on 8 years now. those two short years before i got smart i replaced 4 sets of clutch cushions, and a clutch basket. since i replaced those items and started keepin my hand off that clutch, zero replacements. that says alot right there.
as for shifting under power, i don't! you can't expect to pull up on that lever while the motors pinned, if you force it, yeah, you will break stuff. read beerfarm's entry. to shift without the using the clutch, you put a little pressure on the shift lever and then, like for a split second, let up on the throttle to give the tranny some slack and bam, next gear please. very fast and efficient. if the rider does this well, the motors rpm should hardly change. everything in the tranny is moving very fast and not slowing down at all, not at all rough on the components. but the with this powershifting, your motors pinned, you pull in the clutch, the motor revs to the sky, your clutch basket and fiber discs are screaming, then you shift, the steel discs and transmission are slowing down, then you let out the lever and kaboom, everything comes back up to speed, and that shock goes though every bearing, gear tooth and dog in that tranny. very harsh on all the components.

i've seen old banshee transmissions that have been shifted like that and no worries, there usually in here for a stroker kit and we put them back together and send them out the door, happy as a hen

you clutchers do what you want, enjoy, really. all i know is using that cluch takes time, and if your racing, you don't want that. what do you think the guys are doing that run drag bikes down the quarter mile? you think they're pulling in that lever to shift cause it's faster?

didn't think so

firefighterjosh
11-13-2006, 06:56 PM
I am not trying to fight anyone but I seriously can shift just as fast with the clutch as oppose with out it. My engine RPM's barley change when power shifting. I though almost anyone could powershift good. Maybe not..maybe I am a natural at shifting:p lol JJ. BUt Powershifting is bad I only do it when dragging. I can still shift fast without power shifting.

I never known anyone that could shift fast without a clutch. I am couris to how fast you really can shift. POst a vid if ya can. I might have one of my banshee powershifting not sure though. Let me look

Banshee009
11-13-2006, 07:03 PM
cool bud

yeah, i'm the same way, after i figured out how do do it the clutchless way, i thougt everyone did it that way

i'll have to look fer some vid and let you know

it takes a while to get used to shifting that way, but seriously, and i'm not being a jerk here, it is better on the tranny.

later

Banshee009
11-14-2006, 04:14 AM
1980somthing Banshee
472 Trinity Cheetah,
...ah hell, there aint enough space here...
Its got everything! Check it out-->http://www.enemyconcepts.com/id70.htm

beerfarm

that sure is a puttry banshee, kick ***!

did you do all the work or have some help?

does it still look that nice this days?

what else you thinking on doing to it?